Sometimes the show returns to Dick and Angel Strawbridge who play the part of business advisers or teachers for the skills they have used in their own Chateau.
The Series has about 20/30 episodes per series but the most recent series was postponed due to Covid-19 and will be released later in the year.
However in 2021 the series went though a Massive change, The Strawbridges have withdrawn from the series and now the series is called Chateau DIY with Adjoa Andoh presenting it.
The Series contains the following Tropes:
- Adults Are Useless: Throughout the series it's clear that how under-skilled the owners are when it comes to rebuilding a crumbling Chateau. But after a few attempts some of them make it work.
- In the Château du Doux episode, Abbie the oldest daughter is the one that works the technical aspect including arranging the Weddings, her parents are the ones that are physical and sometimes she has to show her mother how to do the fire alarms
- Babies Make Everything Better: Sometimes, In Series One at the Chateau Monteil, Krys had her baby earlier than expected and so she is spending more time on baby Owen than on the restoration which she felt sad about but thankfully Tim gets help from family and by Series Two they were about to have their first Food Lovers Weekend.
- Beautiful Condemned Building: Some of the Chateaus are near to collapse when they are first seen, in fact the Château d'Humières has a ruined half helps this.
- Big Fancy Castle: Some of the Chateaus are large but, some clearly have lack of fancy due to their past roles as Schools, there are plenty which are mini me versions and also some are more Medieval so there's less
- Bilingual Bonus: Well it's set in France so some people have learnt the language.
- Cobwebs of Disuse: It's nice to see the finished rooms but then they open the door on the next project there is more that just cobwebs, there's been animal matter and cardboard like walls.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: Thankfully only once at Château de la Vigne, May the owner who built a Yoga Studio made some Vegetable Brownies that nobody seen to like.
- Cool Old Lady: Since Series 1 we were presented with Château de Lalande and Stephanie's mother Isabelle, she's the show's break out characters with her remarks about the grand salads being too much saying in her thick accent that a carrot is a carrot and when she is amazement at the finished projects each series.
- Determinator: No matter what life throws at these Chateau Owners they work all day to finish their project, whenever it's too hot or the wallpaper fails to stick.
- D.I.Y. Disaster: There's been a few on this show, at Château du Masgelier Fiona had trouble with foam only to realise that she was using the wrong one. Château des Lys had Tim saw a battery for his mover in half before realising he had been placing it in upside down.
- Duct Tape for Everything: There's been moments when the only thing they could do was have a Duct Tape moment.
- French Jerk: Well most of the places have good relationships with their French neighbours, however in the Abbaye de la Bussiere the owners dealt with hate in the papers, so the plan in their series was to win them over with a fete.
- Grail in the Garbage: In some of them there is still something that the owners use as a feature, however in the Le Vieux Château the owner got Dick to help her find crates of armour that was hidden from the Nazis in the lake however they only find the garbage but no grail.
- Happily Ever After: Well most of the Chateau owners have kept their dream alive.
- However there was places that no longer have their presented owners and in the case of Nicole and Stephan of Château d'Humières, they broke up while trying to restore Château de Lucheux which shows how a building can affect everything.
- Hypocritical Humour: The owners of the Château de Jalesnes came to visit Angel for ways to decorate their wedding without the 1,000's it normally costs, she takes them around the estate for Ivy and Wild Flowers which the one man calls 'Weeds', however after showing what could be done, he felt silly and when they used it in their latest wedding it went down a treat.
- Language Barrier: During Series 3 one couple are buying equipment from a DIY Store and they try to buy a store card from a cashier that doesn't know English.
- Multigenerational Household: In some Chateaus like Château de Lalande and Château du Doux there is several generations taking control.
- Parent-Child Team: In many of the family based Chateaus the children do little jobs like cleaning or if they are in school in France they use their language to help train their parents.
- Real Men Cook: There has been mainly male chefs cooking in these Chateau and the food is wonderful to see.
- Shout-Out: Sometimes the episode will return to Dick and Angel in the Château de la Motte-Husson, one series had Dick building a compost toilet next to the Orangery.
- Also sometimes, Dick and Angel will play the role of Teacher with their skills or Mentor especially when they meet people wanting to buy a Chateau.
- Scenery Porn: Well it's set in France but you do get to see all of France including the South of France.
- Truth in Television: There is several to learn from this show from the buying of a chateau, to repairing it and making it able to earn it way in the Chateau.
- So Proud of You: After the stresses of getting a Chateau livable or becoming a married couple's dream come it's nice to see the owner have that moment of joy when it is done.