Welcome to Beacon: Next is a TV Tropes RP based on Monty Oum and Rooster Teeth's RWBY. Created by Grim Helm on the 10th of January 2015, it is one of the faster moving Roleplays on the site. Grim Helm and The Hail Stormer were the co-Game Masters of the roleplay, but have since ceded the role to KR Vandal.
Beacon Next is a spin-off of Welcome to Beacon: Ultimate, expanding on an idea put forward in the Gaiden thread. BN is set 27 years after the start of the last RP, and tells the story of the children of BU's main characters (and some originals). The kids go to Beacon, and have their own wacky misadventures while at the school.
The RP itself is very much Lighter and Softer than its predecessor, being closer in tone to canon RWBY. It's also unique in that the players can submit their own plot ideas to play with.
On October 1st, 2015, the roleplay underwent a major restructuring and slight downsizing due to waning player interest and several completely inactive players. A new signup and thread was created, and the RP itself was rechristened as "Welcome to Beacon Next: 2.0".
This roleplay provides examples of the following:
- Alternate Continuity: As always, to the RWBY canon itself, since Beacon Next takes place in a possible future of the Beacon Ultimate Continuity.
- All There in the Manual: Most of the worldbuilding surrounding the RP essentially exists just to provide extra context and is virtually all provided through posts in the discussion thread, rather than in-character. Justified in that all world building needs to be given GM permission before being used.
- Always Chaotic Evil: The Grimm, just like how they're portrayed in canon RWBY, and which are basically just rampaging, human hating monsters.
- Applied Phlebotinum: Dust, just like in canon RWBY, is used for everything from transportation to weaponry to complex electronics.
- Broad Strokes: Employed, since Beacon Ultimate is nowhere near close to being finished. It's much easier this way.
- Continuity Nod: A lot. Hey, it is a direct sequel to Welcome to Beacon Ultimate.
- Beth Jade is the new Combat Teacher.
- The kids often talk about the stories their parents told them.
- Multiple events from Beacon Ultimate are directly name-dropped and referenced by several students.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: This happens a lot, actually. Most of the kids are direct contrasts to their parents.
- Ragnaros is a Large Ham, Hope is a Deadpan Snarker.
- Morgan is a chipper Genki Girl, Lucas is The Stoic (most of the time).
- Iris is a shy and cowardly Shrinking Violet, Stormer is an outgoing and brave Wide-Eyed Idealist and Idiot Hero.
- Then there is Selene, who is a lot more outgoing and thrill seeking than her father Remus.
- Fun with Acronyms: Every team name in the roleplay is an acronym.
- Lighter and Softer: Than Welcome to Beacon Ultimate, to create a tone similar to that of canon RWBY.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: Well, of course. From barbed wire and pool cues to AI-controlled drones, the characters possess a plethora of cool weapons.
- Killer Game-Master: Grim himself can be this sometimes, though KR defers to the lighter and softer tone of the RP. However, one of his influences is David Simon's Homicide.
- The Leader: Just like in canon RWBY, Ozpin appoints a leader for each team when they survive Initiation. In this game they are:
- Isabelle Nobel of Team MISN
- Ragnaros Remington of Team SSMR
- Halle Wulfen of Team HAZD
- James Croire of Team CRCG
- Sky Harper of Team CHRM
- Mix-and-Match Weapon: Almost ubiquitous among the players in the roleplay.
- Number Two: A unique part of the roleplay, compared to canon RWBY, is that Ozpin also assigns one of these for each team after Initiation. In this game they are:
- Suzune Yukimarimo of Team MISN
- Scarlet Amagi of Team SSMR
- Duncan Whorple of Team HAZD
- Merrick Gage of Team CRCG
- Claude Malther of Team CHRM
- Official Couple: The children's parents, carried over from the last RP.
- Lucas and Carol
- Remus and Chelsea
- Medus and Ieria
- Stormer and Chiharu
- Among the students, we so far have Iris and Morgan, and Scarlet and Selene.
- Sink or Swim Mentor: Ozpin, just like before. He even slingshots the students off a cliff at the start of the Initiation!
- Spin-Offspring: Naturally, the majority of the cast is a descendant of the generation before them.
- World of Badass: Much like in RWBY, everyone of note is either a highly experienced monster slayer, or training to become one. And if neither, they are at least likely to be a skilled warrior against human/Faunus opponents.