Dust to Dust: A W2B Spinoff is a TV Tropes RP based on Monty Oum and Rooster Teeth's RWBY. Created on November 25th 2015 as a revamp of the now-defunct Welcome to Beacon: Rising Insano is the Game Master of the roleplay.
Taking place approximately 177 years before the events of Welcome to Beacon: Ultimate (and 179 years before the events of canon RWBY), the RP tells the stories of various adventurers who will be involved in the RP's events. A time of great change and progress is on the horizon, and Remnant as they know it will never be the same again.
This roleplay provides examples of the following:
- Alternate Universe: As always, to the RWBY canon itself, since Dust to Dust takes place in the Beacon Ultimate Continuity.
- All There in the Manual: Most of the worldbuilding surrounding the RP essentially exists just to provide extra context and is virtually all provided through posts in the discussion thread, rather than in-character. Justified in that all world building needs to be given GM permission before being used.
- Always Chaotic Evil: The Grimm, just like how they're portrayed in canon RWBY, and which are basically just rampaging, human hating monsters.
- Applied Phlebotinum: Dust, just like in canon RWBY, is used for everything from transportation to weaponry to powering machinery.
- Darker and Edgier: Than both canon RWBY and Welcome to Beacon: Ultimate.
- Fantastic Racism: As in canon RWBY, against the Faunus, for some characters.
- Fantasy Gun Control: Firearms have not been introduced yet, as as Dust, arrows/bolts, cannons/mortars, and throwing weapons/war machines have so far proved sufficient for ranged warfare. Subverted, however, as their emergence will occur in the RP.
- Fun with Acronyms: Every team name in the roleplay is an acronym. This time around, the four teams are named after the four seasons.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: Well, of course. Though the weapons aren't quite as advanced yet, due to this being almost 180 years in the past.
- Milestone Celebration: The original concept for the RP, Welcome to Beacon: Rising, began on the one year anniversary of the original Welcome to Beacon! RP's creation.
- Mix-and-Match Weapon: These are not as common as they are in the other versions of Beacon, due to this being in the far past, but some of the students have some.
- World of Badass: Much like in RWBY, everyone of note is either a highly experienced monster slayer, or training to become one. And if neither, they are at least likely to be a skilled warrior against human/Faunus opponents.