Dust to Dust: A W2B Spinoff is a TV Tropes RP based on Monty Oum and Rooster Teeth's RWBY. Created on November 25th 2015 as a revamp of the now-defunct Welcome to Beacon: Rising Insano is the Game Master of the roleplay.
Taking place approximately 177 years before the events of Welcome To Beacon Ultimate (and 179 years before the events of canon RWBY), the RP tells the stories of various adventurers who will be involved in the RP's events. A time of great change and progress is on the horizon, and Remnant as they know it will never be the same again.
This roleplay provides examples of the following:
- Alternate Universe: As always, to the RWBY canon itself, since Dust to Dust takes place in the Beacon Ultimate Continuity.
- All There in the Manual: Most of the worldbuilding surrounding the RP essentially exists just to provide extra context and is virtually all provided through posts in the discussion thread, rather than in-character. Justified in that all world building needs to be given GM permission before being used.
- Always Chaotic Evil: The Grimm, just like how they're portrayed in canon RWBY, and which are basically just rampaging, human hating monsters.
- Applied Phlebotinum: Dust, just like in canon RWBY, is used for everything from transportation to weaponry to powering machinery.
- Darker and Edgier: Than both canon RWBY and Welcome To Beacon Ultimate.
- Fantastic Racism: As in canon RWBY, against the Faunus, for some characters.
- Fantasy Gun Control: Firearms have not been introduced yet, as as Dust, arrows/bolts, cannons/mortars, and throwing weapons/war machines have so far proved sufficient for ranged warfare. Subverted, however, as their emergence will occur in the RP.
- Fun with Acronyms: Every team name in the roleplay is an acronym. This time around, the four teams are named after the four seasons.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: Well, of course. Though the weapons aren't quite as advanced yet, due to this being almost 180 years in the past.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Over a dozen different PCs, and plus all the antagonists and supporting characters? This trope is present without a doubt.
- Milestone Celebration: The original concept for the RP, Welcome to Beacon: Rising, began on the one year anniversary of the original Welcome To Beacon RP's creation.
- Mix-and-Match Weapon: These are not as common as they are in the other versions of Beacon, due to this being in the far past, but some of the students have some.
- World of Badass: Much like in RWBY, everyone of note is either a highly experienced monster slayer, or training to become one. And if neither, they are at least likely to be a skilled warrior against human/Faunus opponents.