The government monitors all of Novus's citizens, maintaining absolute order under the rational of protecting the people. All is known and seen through neural implants placed into each person from birth. From age 16, they are further tested and placed within society where deemed fit. While class divides its inhabitants, the people are further split into factions. Vigilantes are those who wish to destroy this system by any means necessary, to break free of their gilded cage. The Secret Police combat Vigilantes, suppressing rebellion, keeping the innocent safe from violence, and ensuring the city's survival. Citizens maintain a position in-between these groups, content with the fate they've been given and advancing Novus's progress. Scavengers exist outside of regular society, their neural implants disabled and thus branded as illegal by the government.
This is re:DUX— and the future is in your hands.
Note: All character-related tropes need to go under the Characters's page. The main page should be saved for the universe and plot in general to avoid clogging the article.
This roleplay provides examples of the following:
- After the End
- Bio-Augmentation: It's not uncommon for most people to have at least one gene modification, from animal parts to carbon fiber bones to wild hair color changes. These can range from the subtle to the extreme.
- City in a Bottle: Each of the cities remaining on Earth.
- Common Tongue: Called "Universal", though languages from before the war are still very much alive.
- Domed Hometown
- Designer Babies: With gene manipulation being easily achievable in this universe, people can make careers out of "designing" children with certain traits.
- Fantastic Caste System: Overlapping with Urban Segregation, everyone has a class they're either born into or achieve through their own merits. At the bottom are the Slums, followed by the Lower, Middle, and Upper classes, with the Executives at the very top of the social pyramid. While classes can interact with one another however they please, those of differing ranks cannot co-habitate.
- Free-Love Future: LGBTQA+ is perfectly acceptable in Novus, with no stigma or barriers to who people choose to love or how they identify. Discrimination based on gender and sexuality is actually illegal and prosecutable.
- Magic from Technology: Called "Magix", the power to harness the mystical elements is really just derived from code that can be uploaded through the NUIP. Magix draws its power from the user and basically allows the human body to push past its limits. It's readily available to purchase in Novus (so long as one has a prescription from the government), though illegal sources also exist.
- Blow You Away: Air
- Shock and Awe: Air's subset, Electricity.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Earth
- Green Thumb: Earth's subset, Plant.
- Making a Splash: Water
- An Ice Person: Water's subset, Ice.
- Non-Elemental: Physical
- Poisonous Person: Physical's subset, Acid.
- Playing with Fire: Fire
- Light 'em Up: Fire's subset, Light.
- Blow You Away: Air
- Neural Implanting: Every citizen is given a neural port shortly after birth, called the NUIP. Many aspects of daily life— such as currency exchange, wifi access, long distance communication, and even birth control— are controlled by the NUIP. Scavengers do not have functioning neural ports and thus can't use these features.
- Open Secret: Despite the name, Secret Police are widely known about in Novus. However, individual Secret Police officers will usually hide the fact they are such.
- The Future
- Wretched Hive: Parts of the Slums and Lower Class, potentially.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Your Terrorists Are Our Freedom Fighters: Which is the "right" faction— Vigilantes or Secret Police? Neither is good nor evil, and both firmly believe they're the ones in the right. Of course, these varying opinions can be applied to Scavengers and Citizens as well.