Lisa sets out to restore the reputation of Springfield's first female inventor by searching for her first invention in an asylum. Meanwhile, Bart steals a psycho's notebook from the asylum and pretends to be the one who wrote it, which causes him to get institutionalized.
- Attractive Bent-Gender / Latex Perfection: When Willie disguises as a beautiful slender blonde female working at the strip club that lets Lisa and Milhouse into the basement, with tools stuffed into a bra for "her" bust.
- Comically Missing the Point:
Marge: I didn't even get to say good-bye.
- Marge doesn't suspect that Bart didn't write the psycho's notebook in spite of the fact she'd consider it an improvement if Bart could write in cursive.
- Homer after he and Marge drop off Bart at the mental institution:
Bart: Goodbye! I'll never forgive you!
Homer: There. You happy?
- Creepy Child: The other kids at the mental institution Bart was sent to, one of which tried to stab him with a pair of scissors.
- Did Not Think This Through: Lisa enters a solar-powered vehicle at a race to promote the use of clean energy. A blimp prevents her from winning. She even admits she should have made a device to storage energy for this kind of eventuality.
- Foreshadowing: Before the beginning of the race, Homer approaches Lisa, making a shadow at her solar panels. If not for the blimp casting a shadow at the finish line, Lisa would have won.
- Freak Out!: When Chief Wiggum tells Marge that her son is dead, Marge pulls her Beehive Hairdo apart in anguish. Wiggum then adds, "...inside." Marge quickly reassmbles her hive in embarassment.
- Language Fluency Denial: A visitor at the museum tries this trick to avoid having to hear Lisa talking about the invention. He drops the charade and openly reveals his lack of interest when she speaks the language he's speaking while using the trick.
- Not Helping Your Case: Bart when he gets taken to the mental institution.Bart: Let me out! I just playing a joke! A cruel joke on people that love me, that I don't regret! That doesn't make me a sociopath!
- Secret Test of Character: The institutionalized kids are told to play in a simulator where they pretend to kill several people and are later told that it was no simulator and they really killed people. When Bart reacts in horror, he's told it was really a simulation and the lie about killing people was just a way to test the kids' sanity. Bart passes and is released.
- Shout-Out: At the Alternative Energy Derby, Nelson's vehicle is powered the same way The Flintstones move theirs. Nelson even names it after Fred's famous expression of joy.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: When Homer and Marge decide to send Bart to a mental institution, they fake a birthday party for him and lure him into a bouncy castle and then drive it to the institution. When they arrive, they find other parents using the same trick.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Bart to his parents when they trick him into being sent into a mental institution, due to believing that his sociopathy act was for real.
- Values Dissonance: When Lisa finds a message left behind by the inventor, the message expresses the inventor's hopes that the invention will be discovered by a free woman who has permission from her husband.