Thanks to Homer's temporary job as a Chinese fortune cookie writer, Mr. Burns falls in love with Gloria (voiced by Julia Louis-Dreyfus), a police officer who used to date town criminal, Snake Jailbird.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: And somehow, she chose Snake over Burns.
- Applied Phlebotinum: Burns gains the energy to actually have sex with Gloria using a rare aphrodisiac made from 'the pockets of the pocket-fox', an animal that apparently only existed for three weeks in the sixteenth century, which gave Burns a massive boost in stamina (and also gave Homer an exceptional boost for later that night with Marge).
- Comically Missing the Point: When Gloria compares spending time with Burns like doing it with her brother, Burns believes she's falling for him.
- Comically Small Bribe: Mr. Burns bribes Homer to play along with pretending he's young and hip with a pie. Which he didn't even get.
- Continuity Nod: Mr. Burns' past accomplishments: He ran his own casino, stole the Loch Ness Monster, got shot by a baby and blotted out the sun.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Carl asks Mr. Burns for a raise, and gets fired on the spot.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Snake abandoned a telemarketing scam because he doesn't like bothering people at home.
- Lets See YOU Do Better: Homer is challenged to do so after criticizing the fortunes his family reads at a Chinese restaurant. He succeeds.
- Off-Model: Because of his Obviously Evil design, the animators had difficulty showing Mr. Burns looking happy, which meant that they had to completely overhaul his design throughout the episode e.g. sometimes showing him without his eyebrows◊.
- Pistol Whip: Snake threatens to do this to Homer, but Homer assumes that it's eating whipped cream with a pistol.
- Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor: Burns and Snake over Gloria.
- Seinfeldian Conversation: Appropriately enough the episode ends this way with Mr Burns and the Simpsons discussing what a Devil beard is.
- Shout-Out: Mr. Burns and Gloria eat spaghetti like Lady and the Tramp (technically, anyway; in reality the spaghetti is being sent to Homer via a tube on the side of Mr. Burns' face).