The Curse of the Paw Wavin' Kitten is the fifteenth Moshi Monsters mission and the fifth mission of Season Two.
It begins in the Rhapsody 2. Click on Captain Squirk. Ask, "Are you still peckish?". He replies that he isn't as he's filled up on cosmic sandwiches, but he still thinks someone's stealing a few. Now ask if there are any odd developments. He says that it is very hot and scanners have even indicated that Mount Sillimanjaro has started to melt. This scares your monster, but Captain Squirk says that he and his crew will investigate once they're back in space. Now ask, "Do you have a new mission for me?". Squirk explains that he does, because he and his crew has discovered a ship. They don't recognize it and think it's very primitive but it has a steering wheel and they need one to replace the one that was destroyed when they crashed so he asks for it retrieved.
On the ship, the wheel can be seen. Click on the ghost pirate. He tells you that his name "be" Jaunty Jack and asks what brings you onto the Gooey Galleon. If you ask if he's a ghost, he says yes, but he's friendly. Ask for the steering wheel, to which he lets you have it because they are marooned. Jaunty Jack tries to give it to you, but somebody throws it overboard. Your monster asks who that was. Jaunty Jack says that it was a naughty crew member named McScruff but all of his crew have been acting strangely and he thinks they might be cursed. If you ask what he means, he says that it happened after they collected "booty" from Hong Bong Island and they collected Tingaling the Kitten of Good Fortune, but she didn't work in bringing them luck. Now, ask how you can get the steering wheel. Jaunty Jack explains that you need a scuba diving outfit, but the parts of it are scattered around and the captain is calling. Someone talks behind a helmet. Click on the helmet. The voice says she can't breathe because the helmet is on her head so she wants it unscrewed. Click the screwdriver by the door. Open your inventory (the bag on the far right of the screen) and drag the screwdriver onto the helmet. Then, she thanks you. If you ask how it got on her head, she says that the ghosts did it as a joke. If you ask if it's part of the diving suit, she says yes. She says that you can take it off with Blurp, the Moshling. He is the Batty Bubblefish (blowfish) hanging from the ceiling. Click on him, open your inventory, and put him on the end of the hose. Then, click the hatch that the eye is sticking out of to close it, and click on Blurp. He blows through the hose, taking the helmet off. Click the helmet, then the figurehead. Ask how she and the others got marooned. She says that they hit a storm while sailing back from Hong Bong Island. If you ask what parts of the diving suit there are, she says that you need a suit and boots, the latter of which are probably in the captain's cabin. She opens the door. Click to go in.
In the captain's cabin, another ghost pirate introduces himself as Captain Codswallop and says that no guest can leave until they pay their dues. If you ask what he means, he says that he won't let you go until he gets some food to prepare for a belching contest. Click on all the food and drink in the room. In addition, click on the pink bedsheet to find an E.P.I.C.S. You can also talk to Jaunty Jack. He tells you that Tingaling is in the cage so that she wouldn't run away, the diving suit is in the crow's nest but the rope ladder is broken, and he has to mess up the room on the captain's orders. Open up your inventory and give the soup to Captain Codswallop. He says that it "tickled [his] taste buds" and wants a main course. Feed him the chicken drumstick. He thanks you and asks for dessert. Feed him the ice cream. He then says he's thirsty, so give him the drink. He says that you can leave, then leaves for the belching contest. Click on the boots on the skeleton. Then, click on the piece of rope ladder and leave through the door.
On the deck, open your inventory and drag your piece of rope ladder onto the other piece, then go up to the crow's nest.
In the crow's nest, click on the fishing rod to get an E.P.I.C.S. Click the suit that's blowing in the wind, then click on the rope ladder.
Back on deck, open your inventory and drag a piece of diving suit onto your monster. The figurehead says that you can't go without someone operating the winch and she can't so you have to talk to the ghost pirates so that they can free Tingaling so she can operate the winch. Click on the pirates. Handy van Hookz (the one with the two hooks for hands) greets you and asks if you could help him regain his honor by winning the belching contest. If you ask what's in his belly, he says it's a key he ate. If you ask for help freeing Tingaling, he says no because, like Jaunty Jack, he insists she's cursed. Offer to help. He asks for three bottles of wobble-ade. Click the bottle by the octopus thing. Then, go back up to the crow's nest.
In the crow's nest, click the bottle. Then, go back down to the deck.
There, click the bottle by the mast. Give the bottles to Handy van Hookz. He drinks them and belches up the they key. Click on it. The figurehead tells you it's the key to Tingaling's cage, so go into the captain's cabin.
There, open your inventory and drag the key onto the cage. Tingaling is happy to operate the winch.
In the sea, use the mouse to avoid rocks.
Under the sea, click on the wheel. A peg-legged octopus says that you disturbed him by disturbing the Beast. If you ask what happened, he says that he was sleeping but woke up when the wheel fell into his "hooter". Ask if he has any suggestions for getting the wheel. He says that you can only get it if the Beast is asleep, he falls asleep when the Classico Clams sing, but you have to fix their music box to get them to sing. Click on all the pieces of music box (the seahorse key, the mermaid-shaped thing and the part next to Octopeg), click on the music box (it's the pink box next to the Beast), then open your inventory and drag the items on. Click on the clams. The one on the left has an E.P.I.C.S. Now click the wheel. Unfortunately, the Beast wakes up and chases you.
Click the space bar to escape the beast.
Once up on the deck, Jaunty Jack believes the curse is lifted. Click on Tingaling to pick her up and adopt her.
Back on the Rhapsody 2, you tell Captain Squirk what happened. Open your inventory and give the steering wheel to Squirk. He tells you that he has been getting garbled messages from Dr C Fingz that come from Jollywood. The mission ends.
This mission provides examples of
- Accessory-Wearing Cartoon Animal:
- Captain Squirk wears his helmet, boots and gloves.
- Your Super Moshi wears its super outfit.
- The pirates wear pirate accessories (and Mr Mushy Peas wears 3D glasses).
- Tingaling wears her collar.
- Alien Lunch: The cosmic sandwiches are mentioned.
- Aliens Speaking English: Captain Squirk can communicate with you.
- Alliterative Name: Jaunty Jack.
- Ambiguous Situation: We never find out if the curse was real.
- Animate Inanimate Object: This mission features a talking figurehead.
- Blue Is Heroic: Your Super Moshi has a blue utility belt.
- Character Tics: Captain Squirk bobs about like he's dancing.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: The ghost pirates are all a bit eccentric, especially Mr Mushy Peas, who thinks that you need 3D glasses to see the world in 3D.
- Comically Missing the Point: Mr Mushy Peas wears 3D glasses because he thinks the sea looks better in 3D. Never mind that people see everything in 3D anyway.
- Continuity Nod: This mission references the crash (from "Close Encounters of the Zoshi Kind" and the sandwich thief (from "Big Top Ballyhoo").
- Curse: The pirates think Tingaling was cursed but it's never revealed if she actually is.
- Dressed to Plunder: The ghost pirates and Ocotpeg wear pirate accessories such as pirate hats and handkerchiefs.
- Extra Eyes: A multi-eyed octopus-like creature is seen by the door. There's also a three-eyed skull drawn on Captain Squirk's hat.
- Extreme Omnivore: Handy van Hookz eats a key.
- Fantastic Racism: Apparently, Tingaling doesn't like Moshling Puppies, however, she's never seen actively disliking them.
- Formally Named Pet: Captain Squirk. Also, Dr C Fingz is mentioned.
- Friendly Ghost: While they're a bit naughty, the pirate ghosts are benevolent in general.
- Fun with Acronyms: The E.P.I.C.S. (Extraordinary Performance In Catastrophic Situations) awards pop up again.
- Gass Hole: Apparently, Captain Codswallop is renowned for his belching.
- Got Me Doing It: Your super moshi starts to Talk Like a Pirate after hanging out with ghost pirates.
- Heatwave: Downplayed. Captain Squirk mentions the weather is heating up but it doesn't play a major part in this mission.
- Humanoid Aliens: Captain Squirk has a humanoid shape.
- Hook Hand: Handy van Hookz has both hands replaced with hooks.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Tingaling may have been cursed or it could have just been random bad luck, although the fact that she never brings bad luck to the Super Moshis could suggest the latter.
- Meaningful Name:
- Octopeg, the octopus with peglegs.
- Tingaling, who has a magic bell.
- Handy Han Hookz, who has hooks for hands.
- Mister Strangenoun: Captain Codswallop, Octopeg, Handy van Hookz, Mr Mushy Peas and Tingaling all have names with words in them.
- Pirate: This mission features four pirates, ghost pirates in fact.
- The Prankster: Apparently, all the ghost pirates are a bit mischievous, especially McScruff.
- Red Is Heroic: The Super Moshi's cape and mask are red.
- Seadog Pegleg: Mr Mushy Peas has a pegleg, and Octopeg has several.
- Shout-Out: Octopeg mentions playing Super Mustachio Brothers, which is almost definitely a reference to Super Mario Bros..
- Silly Spook: McScruff is a practical joker ghost.
- Sleepyhead: Apparently, Roberto the clam only wakes up when his brothers sing.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Your Super Moshi can understand meows.
- Superheroes Wear Capes: Your Super Moshi wears a cape.
- Sweet Tooth: Apparently, Captain Codswallop has a sweet tooth; he likes ice cream.
- Talk Like a Pirate: The pirates all use words like "yarr", "ahoy" and "be". Your monster also does it too.
- The Undead: This mission features four ghosts.
- Unsuccessful Pet Adoption: The ghosts try to keep Tingaling, but give her away because they think she's cursed.