- "Eat your veggies!"
Airdate: February 4, 2000
"Havin' a Ball" is the fifth episode of the first (internet) season of Happy Tree Friends.
Pop the father bear is playing catch with his son, Cub. It goes fine until the ball bounces off the bear cub's head instead of him catching it. The ball is then revealed to end up at the other side of a very busy road. Not wanting to make his son unhappy, Pop risks his life through all those vehicles to reach the ball. Despite all those injuries, he manages to get the ball, but he ends up walking off the cliff where he falls into a helicopter carrying an injured Lumpy. After his remains land at cliff's base, his son is seen climbing down with a rope. The bear cub succeeds in getting the ball back only to be crushed by the gurney holding Lumpy. Lumpy suddenly panics and tries to move away from the spot, but he ends up being crushed by the fallen helicopter. Cub's hat is seen landing on the blood-covered ball.
"Havin' a Ball" contains the following:
- Ambidextrous Sprite: Applied to Cub's safety pin.
- Cruel and Unusual Death:
- Pop's body is cut up by helicopter blades.
- Cub is crushed by the gurney.
- Lumpy is crushed by the helicopter.
- Debut Queue: Pop and Cub's debut.
- Downer Ending: Pop gets the ball, but dies in the process along with Lumpy and Cub.
- Early Installment Weirdness: This episode reverses the Pop & Cub dynamic. While any episode starring them usually has Pop accidentally injuring Cub throughout the story, here Pop goes out of his way to make his son happy while Cub himself suffers little to no injures (though they both die).
- Helicopter Blender: Pop's death.
- Just Plane Wrong: The helicopter depicted in this episode is way smaller than Real Life rescue helicopters.
- Kill 'Em All: The first episode to have no survivors.
- Meaningful Name: "Having a ball" means to have fun. This suits the pleasant beginning of the episode. The "ball" part is also related to the item being central to the plot.
- No One Should Survive That: Among Pop's injuries, one of these has his head run over by one of the trucks, as shown by the skid mark on his face. Being run over at all, much less on the head by a heavy vehicle, should be fatal.
- Noodle Incident: Lumpy is already in a rescue helicopter at the start of the episode for an injury that is never explained.
- Oh, Crap!: Pop has this reaction twice: Once when Cub's ball bounces onto the other side of a busy highway and later on when he walks off a cliff and sees that he's falling towards a helicopter.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: The "Classics Remastered" version of this accidentally spelled the show title's "Friends" wrong, turning it into "Firends".
- Shout-Out: Pop's death is similar to Thomas Murphy's death in Alien³.
- Squashed Flat: Cub by Lumpy's gurney, Lumpy himself by the fallen helicopter.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Pop before going through the traffic.
- Too Dumb to Live: Pop goes through heavy traffic to retrieve Cub's ball and when he does get it, he accidentally walks off a nearby cliff, resulting in him being diced up by a helicopter.
- Updated Re-release: One of the early episodes to be part of "Classics Remastered" releases, which rereleases early HTF episodes in HD.
- Your Size May Vary: Cub is almost as tall as Pop in the first scene. The former's remains also become as big as the latter's remains near the end of the episode.