Season 1, Episode 4
The Deer Hunters (Original air date: 10/26/00)
Rory studies hard for a test on Shakespeare and oversleeps on the day of it. When driving to school in a panic (and while getting dressed) she stops at a crossroads and a deer runs into her car. At school no one believes her even though there are "antler marks" on the side of her mother's truck. She doesn't get to take the test and loses it, yelling at everyone for stuff they have annoyed her with. Lorelai throws a similar fit when she tries to convince the headmaster to let Rory take the test.
- Bad to the Last Drop: The coffee at the parent-teacher conference is so bad that Lorelai exclaims "Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and the camel!" after taking a sip of it. She later implores Max to never make coffee again.Lorelai: It just keeps getting worse.
Max: Well, you know not drinking it is always an option.
Lorelai: Not in my world.
- Big "NO!": Rory when she realizes she has overslept. Downplayed though.
- Bookworm: Rory gets to display her reading skills here.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Louise got an A on a test.
- Hypocritical Humor: Rory stubbornly denies being stubborn.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Lorelai backs into a globe.Lorelai: What in the world?
- Lame Excuse: The story about getting hit by a deer sounds like one to everyone who hears it.
- Late for School: Rory oversleeps for an important test, is shocked at realizing she's late when she wakes up, and an important part of the episode is about her hurrying to the school but failing to arrive on time.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Rory "going ballistic" in class makes Lorelai rethink the whole Chilton and Harvard thing in a way a crush on Dean never could.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: The principal at Chilton.
- Running Gag: Several times, Rory has to correct other people that the deer hit the car instead of the other way around, but most don't seem to believe her.
- Shout-Out: There is a big test on Shakespeare. Rory still gets called Mary at school. Drella can't play Black Sabbath, Steely Dan, Boston, or Queen on her harp, though Mozart is fine. Max wants his students to read Christopher Marlowe, Francis Bacon, Ben Johnson and John Webster. Pat Benatar is also off limits, but if she can play harp Lorelai will take her. Lorelai had a Flashdance phase when she was young.
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame: Subverted. Sookie gets a glowing review on her food except her risotto, which was okay. She takes it personally.