Original Airdate: June 9, 2013
It's been three years, and the Z-Warriors go to fight the androids. Can their advance notice give them the edge that will destroy Gero's creations and prevent the dark future from happening?
What you're going to do is go out, get a job, and help me write these tropes:
- Bad Liar: Goku cant even lie properly before spilling the beans.Goku: Were going to Ur-Gay!
- Brick Joke: When Future Trunks left Goku three years before, Goku mentioned he was "a nice young lady". Here, when Bulma introduces baby Trunks to him, Goku says that's a girl's name.
- But We Used a Condom: Averted, since as the previous episode told us, Vegeta didn't.Bulma: YOU SAID YOU WERE WEARING PROTECTION!
Vegeta: I WAS WEARING MY ARMOR!
Bulma: You're a moron.
- Cannot Keep a Secret: The day of the battle, Chi-Chi is under the impression that Goku, Gohan and Piccolo are going to a study trip in Uruguay. Goku just lets it slip that theyre fighting the Androids.Gohan: Three years, Dad. Three years. You almost got it.
- Disappeared Dad: Pretty much invoked for Vegeta in relation to Bulma and baby Trunks, since he left in the spaceship when she demanded he get a job to help support their child.Bulma: That was a year and a half ago, so... ya know, you tell me.
- Don't Explain the Joke:
- After wondering what people do in such a small island, Krillin says prostitution is legal. Cue to Piccolos response.Everyone: Aah...
Piccolo: So the prostitutes.
- Krillin cant drop the Double Entendre jokes.Krillin: Huh. Guess there's a new kind of fisting in this city. Eh? Eh??
Piccolo: Preeeety sure hes bleeding out.
- After wondering what people do in such a small island, Krillin says prostitution is legal. Cue to Piccolos response.
- Foreshadowing: There are several signs that Goku's heart condition is acting up as he complains his chest hurts, and gets winded from flying to an nearby desert.
- Genre Savvy: When reading the disclaimer, Yamcha starts to get nervous, as if he knows what this usually means. He ends up surviving the episode.
- In-Series Nickname: According to Yajirobe, Korin calls him Bean Daddy.
- Medium Awareness: Yamcha reads the disclaimer, and is uneasy about it, knowing something is up. At least this time, the usual implication is averted.
- Mythology Gag: Goku's "You are most unkind," line is actually a reference to the contribution TFS made to the English dub of Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters, which was recorded around the same time as this episode but not released until 2017.
- Old Shame: "Cat Loves Food" for Yamcha. He did it for money. And no, it wasn't worth it.
- The Oldest Profession: Apparently prostitution in South City is legal, which explains how a small island is able to sustain such a developed city. By the time the Androids arrive to the city, an old man starts to explain his prices* .
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: Vegeta left Bulma a year and a half ago just so he could get out of raising their baby.
- The Un-Twist: In-Universe, everyone already knows that Bulmas baby was Vegetas. Yamcha, though averted from his suicide in Future Trunks' timeline, is still bummed about it.
- Villain Forgot to Level Grind: Played with. Android 20 says that he calibrated both Android 19's and his bodies against the Z-Fighters based on recordings from the 22nd Martial Arts Tournament up to the fight with the Saiyans. Unfortunately for him, the nanobug used was destroyed before they went to Namek, meaning the androids don't know Goku is now a Super Saiyan.