Take my hand
We're off to never, never land"
Metallica, also known as The Black Album, was Metallica's fifth studio album, released on August 12, 1991, and was their true commercial breakthrough, largely due to the single "Enter Sandman."
- "Enter Sandman"
- "Sad But True"
- "Holier Than Thou"
- "The Unforgiven"
- "Wherever I May Roam"
- "Don't Tread On Me"
- "Through The Never"
- "Nothing Else Matters"
- "Of Wolf And Man"
- "The God That Failed"
- "My Friend Of Misery"
- "The Struggle Within"
- James Hetfield- Guitar/vocals
- Kirk Hammett- Guitar
- Jason Newsted- Bass
- Lars Ulrich- Drums
"Twisting, troping, through the never":
- The Drifter/Walking the Earth: "Wherever I May Roam"
- Eagleland: "Don't Tread On Me" is Type 1 all the way, even opening with the band playing the melody from "America" from West Side Story.
- Enter Eponymous: "Enter Sandman"
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: The subject of "The Unforgiven"
- Lyrical Tic: Just about every other lyric begins with "You."
- Minimalistic Cover Art: It's called "The Black Album" for a reason.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Mostly 6-8, though "The Unforgiven" is 4 and "Nothing Else Matters" is 3.
- New Sound Album: They slowed down to a degree, and the songs aren't as long as on ...And Justice For All. It's also the rare Metallica album without an Instrumental.
- Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep: Quoted verbatim in the Ironic Nursery Tune "Enter Sandman."
- Our Werewolves Are Different: "Of Wolf And Man"
- Power Ballad: "Nothing Else Matters," which is the first thing they've ever released resembling a Silly Love Song.
- Record Producer: Bob Rock, with James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich.
- Religion Rant Song: "The God That Failed," about how James' mother died of cancer because her Christian Scientist beliefs wouldn't let her accept medical treatment, is a Type 2.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: Subverted with "Don't Tread On Me," since the snake, taken from an early version of the American Flag, is supposed to represent strength and honor.
- Self-Titled Album: Well, duh.
- The Sandman: Take a guess.
- Things That Go "Bump" in the Night: "Enter Sandman""Hush little baby don't say a word
And never mind that noise you heard
It's just the beasts under your bed
In your closet in your head"
- Wham Line: "Sad But True""I'm your truth, telling lies
I'm your reason, alibis
I'm inside, open your eyes