Glenn Hughes is a British rock musician and singer. Though he got his start with the hard rock/funk band Trapeze, he's best known for his time in Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. He's also known for his incredibly diverse vocal range and the fact that age just seems to have no effect on his voice whatsoever.
Though he spent much of his career only attracting a small following, he recieved a huge spike in popularity in the early 00's when people began listening to his solo work after discovering he did other stuff besides Deep Purple and because he began collaborating with popular musicians like Slash.
Discography with Trapeze:
- Trapeze (1970)
- Medusa (1970)
- You Are The Music...We're Just The Band (1972)
Discography with Deep Purple:
- Burn (1974)
- Stormbringer (1974)
- Come Taste The Band (1975)
Discography with Black Sabbath:
- Seventh Star (1986)
- Play Me Out (1977)
- L.A. Blues Authority Volume II (1992)
- From Now On... (1994)
- Feel (1995)
- Addiction (1996)
- The Way It Is (1999)
- From the Archives Volume I - Incense & Peaches (2000)
- Return of Crystal Karma (2000)
- A Soulful Christmas (2000)
- Building the Machine (2001)
- Songs in the Key of Rock (2003)
- Soul Mover (2005)
- Music for the Divine (2006)
- First Underground Nuclear Kitchen (2008)
Tropes For The Divine:
- Big Eater: He was apparently hooked on Mars bars during the eighties. Gary Moore summed it up best:Gary: If you put a Mars bar in one of Glenn Hughes hands and a bass in the other, hell choose the Mars bar.
- This could be seen as Harsher in Hindsight as Gary was bordering on obese when he died, whereas as Glenn is in very good shape these days.
- Bishōnen: Very much so in his younger days◊.
- Cool Old Guy: He's 65 and still touring all over the world after having spent almost 50 years as a recording artist.
- Darker and Edgier: Addiction is by far the darkest album he's ever produced. It's essentially a Concept Album that talks about the pain he was going through during his drug addiction.
- The Determinator: Even after having gone through drug addiciton, weight problems and alcoholism, he's still here and still performing. (While obviously sober now).
- Hell-Bent for Leather: He often wears a leather jacket during performances.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With David Coverdale for over forty years. He was also very close with late Deep Purple bandmate Tommy Bolin.
- Incredibly Long Note: Held a note for 12 seconds during this performance of "A Whiter Shade Of Pale".
- Lead Bassist: A Type B in Deep Purple where he shared vocal duties with David Coverdale. A Type C in his solo work, Black Country Communion and California Breed.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: See Bishōnen.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: He's able to go from a deep D2 to a very high D6.
- Metal Scream: He rivals Ian Gillan in his prime and can still belt them out with ease at 65.
- Sunglasses at Night: He never takes them off. Ever.
- The End Is Nigh: The subject of "Into The Void" from From Now On...
- The West Midlands: He was born and raised in Cannock.