The Lost Continent is a 1968 Hammer Horror sci-fi adventure movie based on the novel Uncharted Seas by Dennis Wheatley. The film deals with a group of passengers in a ship getting lost in the Sargasso Sea (a Bermuda Triangle-like part of the ocean) alongside Sea Monsters and Spanish Conquistadores. Not to be confuse with the 1951 American film Lost Continent.
This film provides examples of
- Brown Face: Most of the Spanish characters are Anglo-Saxons with brown make-up.
- Derelict Graveyard: Lots and lots of ghost ships.
- Giant Enemy Crab: Giant crab monsters are part of the deathly fauna.
- Giant Squid: The giant octopus (and is a Cyclops too).
- Left Hanging: The movie has an Open Ending as is never shown if the characters manage to return to civilization.
- Man-Eating Plant: the Seaweed.
- Sea Monsters: The giant crabs and the octopus.
- Sexual Extortion: A character finds out that a woman passenger robbed some money and blackmails her sexually.