A violent criminal called The Butcher (Lon Chaney Jr.) is executed and then brought back to life by a scientist using electricity. The Butcher becomes an invulnerable mute and seeks vengeance upon those who caused his execution.
Film historian Tom Weaver wrote an excellent book about the film as Volume #2 of his Scripts from the Crypt series (following hot on the heels of Volume #1, The Hideous Sun Demon), featuring extensive background information about the film as well the script.
"300,000 Tropes of Terror!"
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: One of the later areas Benton gets chased to.
- BFG: Once the police track Benton down to the sewer, and realize that bullets have little effect on him, they break out the standard police-issue flamethrower and bazooka.
- Body Horror: Benton after his indestructibility starts wearing a little thin.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Fanservice: Lots of shots of Eva and Marjorie in their stripper outfits.
- Lady Drunk: The old lady in the Bad-Guy Bar.
- Made of Iron: The Butcher after the operation.
- Minsky Pickup: Used by one of the burlesque dancers while chatting with another.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Butcher Benton.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: "Nigh" being the important word here. The Butcher looks noticeably the worse for wear after a flamethrower to the face and a bazooka to the gut.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Minus the roaring.
- Show Some Leg: Benton runs across an attractive young lady next to her broken down car. Turns out she was being used as a bit of bait for the driver, a somewhat slimeball carney. Sure, the car was actually broken down, but the guy knew the girl would be better at attracting help.
- The Speechless: Butcher Benton after his resurrection.
- The woman with the broken down car apparently can't talk (or scream) either.
- Stripper With a Heart of Gold: Eva
- Thousand-Yard Stare: Seen in a witness as she's talking to the police about her encounter with The Butcher. Joel and the 'bots become agitated when she goes a long time without blinking.
- Unfortunate Names: Lt. Dick Chasen.