Indigenous is a 2014 horror film set in South America directed by Alastair Orr and written by Max Roberts.
Five tourists, Scott (Zachary Soetenga) and his girlfriend Steph (Lindsey McKeon), Elena (Sofia Pernas), Trevor (Pierson Fode) and Charlie (Jamie Anderson) meet in Panama looking for one last adventure before settling into adulthood, and decide to venture into the Darién Gap in pursuit of a pristine waterfall and adventure. Within the jungle, they quickly realize that they are not alone. Very soon, their numbers are dwindling as something is hunting them.
This film exhibits the following tropes:
- Broken Masquerade: A minor case. Scott's app records what he believes to be his final message, and then footage of the chupacabra dragging off Trevor, and broadcasts it to all of his friends over social media. It's implied that the Panama military has been covering up incidents.
- The Cavalry: Scott and Steph are saved from the final monster attack by the local military, arriving in time to shoot the monster and evacuate the couple.
- Chupacabra: The natives name the monster as this. The creatures resemble mottled humanoids with extremely sharp teeth.
- Daylight Horror: Most of the attacks happen in the daytime, although the chupacabra are also obviously active at night.
- Hope Spot: Elena breaks through the clearing and gets the attention of the news helicopter. Only for it to hover out of reach to get better shots. Before they can decide to land, she's attacked and dragged off by one of the creatures.
- If It Bleeds, It Leads: The news chopper avoids rescuing Elena because they're milking the footage.
- Instant Web Hit: Scott's broadcast goes viral, shown to be shared all over the world, breaking the Masquerade and proving the existence of the chupacabra. The montage shows not only all of the people clicking Like and Share, but also leaving troll comments.
- Twisted Ankle: When Elena, Steph, and Scott are trying to catch up to the search and rescue chopper, Steph trips and breaks her ankle, necessitating Elena running to intercept it while Scott has to carry her away from the attacking monsters.