In 1978 Boston, Cameron "Cam" Stuart (Ruffalo) is diagnosed with bipolar disorder; he's fired from his job after a nervous breakdown and involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric hospital. He tries to win back his wife, Maggie (Saldana), by attempting to take full responsibility of their two young, spirited daughters, Amelia and Faith while Maggie relocates to New York for 18 months to attend Columbia Business School, the girls don't make the overwhelming task any easier.
This film contains the following tropes:
- Big Applesauce: Maggie mentions that she's uprooting to New York City to study for her MBA.
- Bumbling Dad: Played for drama with Cam due to his bipolar disorder.
- Boston/Hollywood New England
- Bipolar Disorder
- No Medication for Me
- The '70s: The movie takes place in 1978.
- White Anglo-Saxon Protestant: Cam's mother Gaga is this Up to Eleven.