Maneater is a direct-to-video horror film from 2009. Funnily enough, the monster eats humans. The film stars Dean Cain, Cristopher Darga and Saginaw Grant as a trio of policemen hunting down a mysterious killer in a small town next door to an Indian Reservation. Harry, our protagonist, is a former FBI agent who moves to get a break from the copious amounts of bloodletting and danger that comes with his job.
When the town you move to harbors a supernatural cannibal spirit, you've picked the wrong town.
This film contains examples of :
- Agent Mulder: Harry. Pretty much automatically decides it's not a bear. Its justified though as he's a former FBI profiler and quickly realises the crime scene is missing some tell-tale signs of a bear attack.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Harry was cheated on by his wife, leading him to believe that he might be the Wendigo, as the creature can manifest itself after personal betrayal.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: The Wendigo has a pair of these, in a lovely, bloodthirsty shade of sky blue.
- Pervert Dad: Subverted, when a fellow officer comments "She's not your wife, Harry!"
- Self-Harm: The Wendigo is so ravenous that it will even eat it's own skin.
- Sex Signals Death: Being as the Wendigo hunts down the impure as its prey, this is kind of expected. Examples: The Wendigo's first victims get turned into beefsteak. The Wendigo stalks Kay and her boyfriend outside their bedroom window when they have sex at a party, and even manages to get into Pearl's house when she's getting it on.
- Son of a Whore: Stanley, and his wendigo transformations are instigated by his discovery of this.
- Split-Personality Takeover: Happens to Red Bear when he finds out his wife cheated on him, turning him into a Wendigo. Also happens to Stanley and Zeus.
- Wendigo: The name given to the film's creature. Mostly similar to the original myth, with some added superpowers.