The film centers around two lovers, Sam (Alba) and Jared (Walker), who live in the Bahamas. With Jared's pal (Scott Caan) and his ladyfriend (Ashley Scott) they go looking for sunken treasure and find a plane that crashed in the ocean; said plane has lots of drugs on board which some very nasty types want...
...but that's not really point of the movie, which is that the cast, especially Jessica Alba, are visually appealing people, and seeing them in swimwear in a tropical paradise is a balm for the drudgery of normal life. That's how to make a movie that gets a good return on investment.
This movie has examples of:
- Accidental Hero: They all apply for killing the bad guys, but one almost humorous example is when Sam is fighting one of Bates' thugs in the water and a tiger shark comes along and eats him.
- Beach Episode: This is pretty much the point of the whole movie. Swimsuits, ahoy!
- Excuse Plot: It's no secret that this movie is more concerned with the visuals than the plot.
- Male Gaze:
- The infamous scenes featuring Alba swimming (which you get to see again behind the closing credits).
- Not to mention Ashley Scott on the deck with the camera looking between her legs.
- Ms. Fanservice: Sam is featured in many shots in just her two-piece swimsuit and sometimes less.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: Amanda is asked to cover up when some Coast Guard types come across her sunbathing topless.
- Recycled Premise: Not a bad film, but it was better when it was called The Deep:
- Young lovers who enjoy diving, hoping to strike it rich by discovering a shipwreck full of treasure? Check.
- Finding such a shipwreck, only to find another wreck on top of it packed with a different kind of treasure? Check.note
- Local drug lords trying to bully our heroes into helping them recover the stuff? Check.
- Big underwater fight against said drug lords, in which some ocean predators dispose of the bad guys? Double check.
- Toplessness from the Back: Amanda in the scene when the police come up to the boat.
- Walking Swimsuit Scene: Almost the entire movie for the main characters, though it's mostly justified, considering it's set in the Bahamas.