Inseminoid is a 1981 British/Hong Kong independent Sci-Fi Horror film directed by Norman J. Warren and starring Judy Geeson, Robin Clarke, and Stephanie Beacham.
The plot of the film concerns a group of future scientists excavating the ruins of an ancient civilisation on a distant planet. When a monstrous alien creature attacks and inseminates one of the women in the team, Sandy (Geeson), chaos ensues as the unbalanced victim, possessing unnatural strength, murders her colleagues one after another in a psychotic bid to protect her unborn twin hybrid offspring.
This film provides examples of the following tropes:
- Downer Ending: By the time the rescue ship arrives, everyone is dead...except for Sandy's alien offspring that manage to stowaway on the ship.
- Dwindling Party: Once Sandy's rampage begins, everyone is being picked off one by one, only survivors being Mark (who kills Sandy) and Sharon. And then the two of them are killed by Sandy's alien offspring at the very end.
- Enfante Terrible: Sandy's offspring, the alien twins. Shortly after their birth, they kill the remaining two survivors of Sandy's rampage, Mark and Sharon.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: When the alien (which is always out of focus during this scene) charges at Mitch, if you pause at the right moment you can see it's face.
- Ghost Planet: The planet that the research team is stationed on has been desolate and uninhabitable for a very long time, having previously been home to an advanced, now long-since extinct alien race. The only thing remaining of this civilization is a single tomb-like complex where the sole surviving member of the alien race sleeps entombed in a crystal.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Sandy turns cannibalistic after becoming pregnant, feasting on Gary's flesh after injuring him. Prior to this she was shown drinking blood from two retrieved corpses of her former colleagues.
- Mama Bear: Upon becoming impregnated by the alien, Sandy gains inhuman strength and becomes highly aggressive and hostile, killing everyone that stands in her path. She also goes berserk upon realizing the few remaining survivors have taken her offspring.
- Numerological Motif: Number 2. The planet the story takes place on orbits a binary star system, and the extinct civilization that once existed on it was ruled by a pair of twins, seemingly throughout generations as some sort of tradition. During Sandy's rampage, only two researchers survive until they're unceremoniously killed off by Sandy's alien offspring. During the course of the movie, Sandy gives birth to alien twins.
- Took a Level in Badass: Villainous example; upon becoming pregnant with alien offspring, Sandy gains inhuman strength and durability, as well as the ability to breathe in the toxic atmosphere of the planet, whereas others require protective suits to survive in such surrounding.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The alien that kills Mitch is never seen again after it impregnates Sandy.
- Womb Horror: The entire plot revolves around a woman getting impregnated by an alien while excavating an ancient civilization and giving birth to mutant children. An alternate version of the poster provides the page image.