Once upon a time, there was a brother and sister named Hansel (Michael Welch) and Gretel (Molly Quinn). Gretel and her boyfriend Ashton (Andrew James Allen) are potheads who've just stumbled upon a special blend called Black Forest, made by a little old lady from Pasadena (Lara Flynn Boyle). Ashton decides to get a stash straight from the old lady...and that's when the trouble begins. Eventually, Gretel goes on a mission to save her boyfriend...only to get drawn into a terrifying struggle with a witch with a bad case of the munchies.
After awhile in Development Hell (actually, Distribution Hell; the movie was pretty much finished but couldn't find a distributor due to the subject matter), the film was released on DVD in early 2013 by Tribeca Films. The film became available on Netflix in August 2013.
Hansel and Gretel Get Baked contains the following tropes:
- And Starring: Lara Flynn Boyle gets an "and" with the last credit. Cary Elwes gets a "with" credit...and people will have to watch the movie again to figure out just where in the movie he is.note
- Animate Dead: Agnes does this to Benny, then to Carlos.
- Asshole Victim: Carlos and his thugs get killed by Agnes. But since they used to be brutish and murderous drug dealers no one will miss them.
- BrotherSister Team: Of course.
- Darker and Edgier
- Dead Star Walking: Cary Elwes has top billing, but is the first victim.
- Distressed Dude: Instead of Hansel this time, it's Ashton who's the distressed dude. He doesn't last long.
- Eye Scream: Ashton gets a fork in the eye. And they don't cut away.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Pretty much all of them.
- Gangbangers: Carlos and his thugs. Benny was a part of his gang, until he found the Black Forest High.
- Gingerbread House: Agnes' house isn't made of gingerbread, but she has a miniature gingerbread house in her living room. She warns her prospective buyers not to touch it.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Agnes, of course.
- Kill It with Fire / Murder by Cremation: Except she survives.
- Life Energy: Agnes drains the life force out of Ashton and one of Carlos' thugs to grow younger.
- The Lost Woods: This is basically what Agnes' pot farm is.
- Multiple Reference Pun: Agnes is initially as a little old lady from Pasadena...and they reference the Beach Boys. It also gives Gretel what amounts to a Quip to Black:Gretel: Can you take me to Pasadena?
Hansel: What's in Pasadena?
Gretel: (beat)' A little old lady.
- Parental Abandonment: In this version of the fairy tale, Hansel and Gretel's parents are nowhere to be found. All we hear of them is a note to Hansel at the beginning of the movie.
- Police Are Useless: When Ashton goes missing, Gretel tries to go to the police, who refuse to help because Ashton's a known druggie. Later, when they actually do decide to investigate, they're taken out instantly by a pissed-off Agnes.
- Pun-Based Title: "Baked" doesn't necessarily mean in an oven. It means something else entirely.
- Trail of Bread Crumbs: Except in this case, they're Skittles. Benny's girlfriend Bianca acts as the birds in this instance.
- Wicked Witch: Agnes