Evidence is a 2013 film from Olatunde Osunsanmi (director of The Fourth Kind and The Cavern) that blends elements of a found-footage horror movie and an investigative crime drama. In the aftermath of a massacre at an abandoned desert truck stop, a group of investigators are tasked with examining the footage recovered from the victims' cameras to piece together what happened and discover who is responsible.
Provides Examples Of:
- Abandoned Area: The massacre takes place at an abandoned old truck stop out in the middle of the desert.
- Deadly Road Trip: The victims were all on board a bus headed to Las Vegas that crashed in the desert.
- Enhance Button: The investigators perform some impossible enhancements to the often very dark, pixelated or corrupted footage while searching for clues.
- Evidence Scavenger Hunt: Much of the investigators' portions of the film amount to a form of this as they examine the video for clues.
- Final Girl: Two girls survive the massacre - but it turns out they're actually the killers.
- Found Footage: Most of the movie consists of the "recovered video" from the crime scene.
- Framing Device: The scenes with the investigators can come across this way; although they do contribute to the plot and appear scattered throughout the movie, the meat of the film is definitely the found footage elements.
- Jump Scare: What kind of slasher flick would it be without them?
- Malevolent Masked Men: The killer wears a welding mask.
- The Reveal: The supposedly raw footage the investigators are watching has actually already been edited by the killer - or, in fact, killers. The two surviving young women had switched back and forth in the "role," planted evidence and shot and cut their video deceptively to throw off the investigation and get away with murder.
- Rewind, Replay, Repeat: The investigators do this to examine certain bits of footage more closely.
- Silent Antagonist: The killer never speaks while masked.
- Slasher Movie: The found-footage segments basically amount to this as the killer picks off the stranded victims.
- Unknown Assailant: The purpose of the investigation is to discover the identity of the killer.
- Weapon of Choice: The killer uses a blowtorch.