Dakota Harris a.k.a. Sky Pirates is a 1986 adventure movie directed by Colin Eggleston, and written by John Lamond and Robert Mowbray. John Hargreaves stars as a World War II pilot in the Pacific Theatre who gets lost in the Bermuda Triangle. The remainder of the film involves unravelling the mystery surrounding an alien object that enables the user to travel through time.
Tropes seen in this film:
- Action Girl: Melanie Mitchel (Meredith Philips)
- Adventurer Outfit: Of the pilot variety: leather jacket, sheepskin boots and military cap.
- Ancient Artifact: The MacGuffin is an object of extraterrestrial origin.
- Awesome Aussie: Harris can fly a plane, hold his nerve against a whole bar room full of bad guys, and beat up thugs when standing on the hood of a moving car.
- Bad-Guy Bar: Harris visits a bar where the criminal underworld hangs out, and is forced by the patrons to play Russian Roulette.
- British Nazis: Savage (Max Phipps) is an agent of the Germans, and wears an SS uniform at the end.
- The Brute: Harris gets into a brawl with a huge enemy agent with the Bald of Evil.
- Cool Car: The 1941 Ford staff car which would have been almost brand new at the time.
- Cool Guns: Harris' service weapon is a Webley revolver identical to the one owned by Indiana Jones. The bad guys use Lugers, and a Colt 1911.
- Cool Plane: The Douglas DC-3 Dakota flown by Harris.
- The brightly painted stunt biplane that Harris later steals to escape the court martial.
- Cult Classic: Although the movie is obscure in much of the English speaking world, it has a sizeable fanbase in Germany.
- Diesel Punk: Focusing on an alternative World War II, time travel, and lost alien technology.
- Eenie, Meenie, Miny Moai: There are Easter Island heads on the island where Harris is forced to land.
- Expy: Harris is an adventurer in the mould of Indiana Jones.
- Evil Brit: RAF Major Savage seems to want Harris dead.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Harris wears a sheepskin flight jacket.
- Hollywood Natives: Complete with Braids, Beads and Buckskins, and a dugout canoe.
- No Swastikas: Justified, because the Pacific Theatre was outside the Nazis' sphere of operations.
- Preacher Man: Melanie's father Reverend Mitchell (Simon Chilvers) is a missionary.
IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091964/