AM1200 (2008) is a cosmic horror short film (39 mins.) written and directed by David Prior. It stars Eric Lange, John Billingsley, and Ray Wise.
Sam Larson (Lange), an investment analyst, is on the run after being involved in a financial scam. He becomes haunted by an evangelical radio station and confronts a power beyond his imagination.
AM1200 was officially released at the H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival on October 3, 2008, and won The Brown Jenkin Award at that same festival.
AM1200 contains examples of:
- Cosmic Horror Reveal: It becomes clear that Sam is in a cosmic horror story when he looks down the deep hole in the station floor at the giant eye that stares back at him.
- Eldritch Abomination: Sam Larson encounters a giant eye and set of teeth in the radio station.
- Mad Oracle: Jonah Henry is a variation on this trope, having become unstable due to his imprisonment in the radio station. He's the one that tells Sam that he is doomed.
- Plot-Driven Breakdown: Invoked. It is implied that the cosmic force in the radio station breaks Sam's car intentionally.
- Pre-Insanity Reveal: Sam sees Jonah's smiling employee photo on the wall, implying that he Used to Be a Sweet Kid before servitude to the Eldritch Abomination caused him to lose his mind.
- Stealth Pun: Type 5. Ray Wise's character Harry suggests that they "adjust" the preferred holdings accounts, which he says are used for "false profits." Harry then quotes Matthew 7:15: "Beware of false prophets" as a joke. The pun is type 5 because Harry himself is a false prophet, decrying their current state as down-trodden employees, thus instigating Sam's decent into crime and the resulting horrors.
- Unexpectedly Abandoned: The radio station is completely abandoned, except for Jonah Henry and the Eldritch Abomination. The employee photos on the wall indicate that the station was once had a normal workforce.
- Unscrupulous Hero: Sam is on the lam after a financial scam.
- Unwitting Pawn: Eventually, it becomes clear that the radio station is summoning Sam to become the next DJ/preacher.