Bonds Through Time: The Adventures of Inuyasha and Kagome is an InuYasha Fan Fic written by XFangHeartX. It serves as a novelization/retelling of the series.
This fic contains examples of the following tropes:
- Adaptation Expansion:
- Some filler arcs are included to expand on the lore and characters. For example, the arc proceeding Yura's defeat involves a kamaitachi killing several chickens and framing Inuyasha in order to drive him out of the village, which also enables Inuyasha and Kagome to bond and truly become friends.
- Sango is involved in the story arc involving Tokajin, unlike the manga or animenote .
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: Inuyasha is more prone to angst and crying than his canon counterpart, especially regarding his childhood and relationship with Kikyo.
- Adaptational Early Appearance: As in the anime, Sango is introduced immediately after to the arc involving Tokajin rather than immediately after, though here, his arc is immediately after her introduction, and Sango participates in the fight with him.
- Adaptational Late Appearance: As in the anime, Tokajin is introduced after Sango rather than the other way around, though his arc is moved to immediately after Sango's introduction rather than after Inuyasha learns the Backlash Wave.
- Adaptational Jerkass:
- Downplayed. While not actively malicious, Sango isn't as accepting of Inuyasha as she was in canon, her behavior leaning on the Innocent Bigot side. She gets better.
- Played straight with Kikyo. When they find her in Sayo's village, she all but admits she never truly loved Inuyasha and finds him a "disgusting half-demon," merely using him and convincing him into using the Shikon Jewel to become human as a means to be free of her responsibilities. Even after confirming their story that Naraku set them up, she refuses to let go of her rage, later going so far as to push Kagome off a cliff after stealing her jewel shards on the grounds that there's only one Kikyo.
- Adaptational Nice Guy:
- While he still has his angry and rude side, Inuyasha reaches an understanding with Kagome much quicker than in the manga and anime, and even becomes a Friend to All Children in the village.
- Kagome is also far more patient with Inuyasha and doesn't use the "sit" command nearly as often. Best shown during the toad demon arc with Amari Nobunaga; rather than "sit" him to get him out of the way of her Aerosol Flamethrower, Kagome merely tells him to get down.
- Shippo is also far more respectful of Inuyasha, with the two not butting heads nearly as often.
- Adaptation Relationship Overhaul: Inuyasha and Kagome manage to reach an understanding and become friends much sooner than in the anime and manga, where their early relationship was defined by constant bickering and Teeth-Clenched Teamwork.
- Boxing Lessons for Superman: After she joins the team, Sango begins training Inuyasha in swordplay. It pays off during Totosai's debut, when he takes on Sesshomaru in a straight fight and wins.
- Canine Companion: Inuyasha eventually gets one in the form of Arashi, an electrical dog demon who once belonged to his father. In fact, Arashi was sealed away and intended to be bequeathed to Inuyasha once he was born, but Myoga forgot to undo the seal.
- Canis Major: Arashi usually appears as a smaller puppy form, but he can assume a much larger form, described as being twice the size of Kirara's Mega Neko form.
- CPR: Clean, Pretty, Reliable: During the Fake Water God Arc, Kagome performs this on Inuyasha after he drowns in the lake and manages to resuscitate him. Inuyasha, as well as the others, mistake this for an actual kiss.Inuyasha: How many times...are you gonna kiss me?
- Due to the Dead: After retrieving Shippo's father's pelt from the Thunder Brothers, Kagome, Inuyasha, and Shippo use Kagome's matches to cremate it.
- Innocent Bigot: In their initial meeting, Sango assumes that Kagome "tamed" Inuyasha and refers to him as a "credit to his kind."
- I've Come Too Far: Even after discovering the truth behind her death and Naraku, Kikyo is unable to let go of her rage and hatred. It's clear that she knows how far she's fallen from the heroic priestess she once was, but she's convinced she's Beyond Redemption and sees no reason to stop.Kaede: How long do ye plan on bearing this needless grudge against Inuyasha?! As long as you continue to bear hatred, you will never find peace!
Kikyo: ...Maybe I don't want to.
- Named by the Adaptation: Kagome's mother and grandfather are given the names Atsuko and Sanosuke, respectively.
- Shout-Out: After getting vomited out by Tokajin, Inuyasha comments on him "smelling bad on the outside."
- You Can't Go Home Again: Chapter 110 reveals that after Izayoi's death, the villagers near Inuyasha's childhood home wasted no time forming an angry mob and chasing him off, burning his house down in the process.
- Your Mom: During their initial fight, Inuyasha holds back and tries to reason with Sango... until she insults his mother by claiming she must have been "very stupid or desperate" to conceive him with his father. He immediately beats her back and comes close to killing her with his bare hands, but Kagome arrives just in time to stop him.