Peter Wyngarde note (23 August 1927 note 15 January 2018) was a British actor.
He was best known for playing Jason King, a bestselling novelist turned sleuth, in two television series: Department S (196970) and Jason King (197172). His flamboyant dress sense and stylish performances in those two series led to popular success, and he was considered a style icon in Britain and elsewhere in the early 1970s.
Comic book fans will know Wyngarde and his character Jason King for serving as inspiration for the name and visual appearance of Jason Wyngarde/Mastermind, an adversary of the X-Men (his characterization comes from Wyngarde's guest-starring role in The Avengers episode "A Touch of Brimstone"). Wyngarde also had a notable performance in Flash Gordon as Klytus.
Peter Wyngarde works with pages on TV Tropes:
- Alexander the Great (film, 1956)
- The Innocents (film, 1961)
- The Avengers (TV series, 196667) (episodes "A Touch of Brimstone" and "Epic")
- The Saint (TV series, 196667) (episodes "The Gadic Collection" and "The Man Who Liked Lions")
- I Spy (TV series, 1967) (episode "Let's Kill Karlovassi")
- The Prisoner (TV series, 1967) (episode "Checkmate")
- The Champions (1968) (TV series, 1968) (episode "The Invisible Man")
- Department S (TV series, 196970)
- Jason King (TV series, 197172)
- Flash Gordon (film, 1980)
- Doctor Who (TV series, 1984) (episode "Planet of Fire")
- The Comic Strip Presents (TV series, 1988) (episode "The Yob")
- Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (TV series, 1994) (episode, "The Three Gables")