Lesley-Ann Brandt (born 2 December 1981) is a South African actress and model, though due to her Ambiguously Brown appearance she can be whatever casting directors want her to be. In fact her complete ethnic background is Indian, German, Dutch, Spanish, British and Khoisan (an indigenous tribe in South Africa).
Lesley moved to New Zealand, which is where she got her start as an actress. Her first major role was as Princess Leilani on the short-lived sitcom Diplomatic Immunity. Despite the show not making it past one season, bigger fame came her way when she got to be part of Spartacus: Blood and Sand as Naevia — one half of the Beta Couple. She reprised her role in the prequel season Gods of the Arena, but did not return for the second and third seasons. During this time she moved to America and is working there currently. In 2016 she took on the role of Mazikeen on the TV show Lucifer.
- Diplomatic Immunity (2009) - Leilani
- Spartacus: Blood and Sand (2010) - Naevia
- Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (2011)
- Legend of the Seeker (2010) - Sister Thea
- Chuck (2011) - Fatima Tazi
- CSI: NY (2011) - Camille Jordanson
- A Beautiful Soul (2012) - Angela Barry
- Drift (2013) - Lani
- Single Ladies (2014) - Naomi Cox
- The Librarians (2014-2015) - Lamia
- Gotham (2014) - Larissa Diaz
- Lucifer (2015-present) - Mazikeen
Tropes associated with Lesley-Ann Brandt:
- Fake American: Most of her roles in America, for obvious reasons.
- Fake Brit: She gives Naevia a flawless English accent, employing The Queen's Latin.
- Fake Nationality: She's South African but grew up in New Zealand, and can switch back and forth between those accents on cue. Diplomatic Immunity has her playing the princess of a fictional principality in New Zealand.
- I Want You to Meet an Old Friend of Mine: Odd example. She has been in CSI: NY with Cynthia Addai Robinson. However the two were in different seasons.
- The Other Darrin: Lesley was replaced as Naevia with Cynthia Addai-Robinson from Vengeance onwards.
- The Other Marty: Lina Esco was cast as Mazikeen at first, but replaced with Lesley after the table read.
- Plays Great Ethnics: As noted on the main page, she's called upon to play many different races. Naevia's background isn't even known, and she's played African American, Latina, North African, etc."In Thailand, I'm mistaken as Thai, in New Zealand I've been told I look Polynesian, Indians can see my Indian heritage and in America, I've been told I look African American or Latin American. I like it that way."
- Those Two Actors: She's starred with Craig Parker in Diplomatic Immunity, Spartacus: Blood and Sand and Legend of the Seeker.
- What Could Have Been:
- She felt she should use an English accent for Lucifer but producers opted for Mazikeen to be American instead.
- She auditioned to play Spartacus's wife Sura, but producers felt she was a better fit for Naevia.