The anime differs greatly from the manga, in the way certain characters are portrayed and by substituting filler episodes in place of most of the manga's key story arcs:
character specific changesTakeru
- Manga: Minori begins training him during the Okino Island chapters (28-30) and in chapter 53, Himegami reveals that Takeru's Blood Pointer ability is proof that he's distantly related to her father and brother, who also possessed it.
- Anime: He's only briefly seen training in episode 13 and the reveal about his connection to Himegami happens much earlier (at the end of episode 4), where she says he's her brother's reincarnation, rather than his descendant.
- Manga: She's the series most plot relevant character and is given her own character arc between chapters 33 - 60, which reveals her ancestry and her relation to Yamato Takeru. The manga also casts her as Usui's love interest, though it remains to be seen if she'll reciprocate his feelings.
- Anime: Her past, her relation to Yamato, and her Maken are never revealed. Instead, she's reduced to a supporting role as a member of Takeru Oyama's harem.
- Manga: In chapter 60, she admits that she never actually made a marriage promise to Takeru. It was an assumption, on her part, because she misinterpreted his vow to protect her.
- Anime: It's changed so he explicitly said he'd marry her when they were old enough. But, unlike the manga, the issue is never revisited and is left unresolved.
- Manga: While it's initially implied that she was killed at the end of her duel with Tesshin, he later explains that Atsuma was already dying at the time of their fight. It was the long-term effects of using her Blood Pointer that actually killed her.
- Anime: The man she's seen fighting during the flashback in episode 12 isn't Tesshin and it's all but stated that Atsuma was beaten to death. Whereas the manga shows she survived the match and died sometime afterwardnote .
- Manga: She became a lesbian after suffering a traumatic event that left her androphobic. It's also implied that she and Yuuka may be 'more than friends'.
- Anime: Her phobia is downplayed to the point of being almost nonexistent, to have her instantly become smitten with Akaya. The anime also does away with most of the subtext between her and Yuuka. Going so far as to have Yuuka set her up on a date with Azukinote to try to help Takaki face her fear (episode 9, season 2).
- Manga: Her heart is set firmly on Haruko which doesn't change until chapter 83, after being made to realize how hopelessly she was outmatched by the Shishigami. It leaves her feeling she'd only be in the way, so she acquiesces to Takeru and asks him to protect Haruko in her stead.
- Anime: During season 2, Takaki gives Uruchi an assignment to observe Haruko for a day without being seen. It ends with Uruchi giving up on pursuing Haruko after seeing that she only had eyes for Takeru.
- Manga: She's fully aware of how the male students think of her and is shown to be self-conscious because of it.
- Anime: Complete 180º, she has no idea — even when they're blatantly staring at her chest, or looking up her skirt.
- Manga: He's the head of Kamigari and the series' main antagonist until his death, which finally allowed Takeru Yamato's spirit to assert control of his body.
- Anime: You'll never see him. All he gets, is a brief mention.
- Manga: She's a high-ranking member of the Shishigami, second only to her grandfather, Ouken. She's also shown to be indifferent towards Akaya, since he and the Venus Unit serve her family.
- Anime: Otohime is a bit character and Akaya has authority to go above her head, to force her to stand down in episode 12.
The Venus Unit
- Manga: Though they're support characters, they still play a major role because of their association with Akaya and help him to investigate Kamigari. They later aid in the defense of Tenbi Academy when Yamato leads a surprise attack against the school in chapters 83-97. During which, Yan-Min and Demitra defeat several high-ranking members of the Shishigami.
- Anime: You only see them for 4 episodes in season one and their plot relevancy is minimal. After the climax of episode 12, you never see them again.
plot related changesChapter 1
- Manga: The match between Azuki and Kinua is held in the auditorium, during the school's annual introduction ceremony. Minori halts the match just before Azuki would've struck the final blow and declares her the winner.
- Anime: The fight starts and finishes in the school's courtyard, before the introduction ceremony. Minori doesn't see the outcome and has to ask who won. Azuki replies that the answer should've been obvious.
- Manga: Yuuka prevents Azuki and Yan-Min from fighting by proposing they settle their dispute with a contest instead. So she sets up a hockey match in the pool to manipulate both teams into cleaning it, then set the rules to ensure the match ended in a draw. The chapter also showcases the Venus Unit's level of coordination and teamwork.
- Anime: They settle it with an indoor volleyball match instead, which served no purpose other than to show off both team's level of power. It ends with Yuuka simply declaring it a draw, once the gym gets destroyed.
the Venus Arc (chapters 14-25)
- Manga: Akaya has the Twins capture Himegami, then uses her as leverage to coerce Haruko, Inaho, Azuki, and Takeru, to battle the Venus Unit — so he could assess the Tenbi students' level of ability.
- Anime: The entire arc is replaced by a 2-episode finale, in which Haruko is abducted by Otohime Yamato. After being rescued by the Venus Unit, they open a portal for her so she can hurry back to the Academy in order to save it from Takeru, who'd become possessed by his Blood Pointer ability.
Chapter 28/Episode 13
- In the anime, the scene where Takaki tells Aki about Haruko's 'sleeping habit' differs from the manga, by implying Haruko may have had sex with her in her sleep. She makes no such implication in the manga.
Chapter 37/OVA 2
- The OVA loosely adapts the same story, but makes the following changes:
- Celia uses Inversion on Takeru in a fit of jealousy, after catching him on the couch with Ms. Akinote .
- When Takeru regains consciousness and realizes he's been turned into a girl, he's shockednote .
- Adds scene of Takeru trying out her new body by masturbating in the bathroomnote .
- Adds a bath scenenote .
- Scene where Haruko wakes up and finds girl-Takeru sleeping facedown between her legs, changed so Haruko shoves her away when Takeru wakes up and tries to suck her breastnote .
- Celia tells Takeru he has to kiss a girl to undo the Inversion's effectnote .
- Near the end, the girls take turns smacking Takeru around the room, causing him to repeatedly change gender each time he kisses one of themnote .
- It ends with Haruko kissing Takeru on the cheek to change him back, once the other girls are gone. Though the stinger reveals Usui had also been affected by Celia's Inversion and is still a girlnote .