Ambiguous Name: Winds Of Destiny Change get usage counts
Zero-Context Example or pothole of concern
- Albert Campion: "Capt. Jack Havoc and Canon Avril are both what Havoc calls 'Watchers'"
- Characters.Avengers60s Members: Scarlet Witch
- Bleach: "The Hougyoku did it."
- Characters.Care Bears: Good Luck Bear
- Fan Nickname: "...the Scarlet Witch."
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: "During the training camp, this Touka joins a table comprised of Saki, Koromo, and Fujita 'Pro'."
- Dead Little Sister: "Shinji Nagumo"
- FanFic.Drunkards Walk: "One of the effects of Doug's field."
- Roleplay.Evil Mastermind RPG: "Mr. 7's main power as well as Mr. 13's."
- Characters.Exalted Spirits: Remondin
- CurbStompBattle.Fan Fic: "...Flandre, Remilia, Sakuya and ..."
- Hellsinker: "What humanity tried to controll using the Garland system."
- Warp That Aesop.Anime: "Bleach: You know that sweet-natured girl who recently developed special powers the Big Bad is sure to take an interest in for purposes of reactivating the long-dormant Artifact of Doom?"
- Billy Bat: "The bat allows people to either predict the future or change it, (apparently).
- Memes.Bleach: "Lol, Hogyoku. The Hogyoku is revealed to have the power of Winds of Destiny, Change, resulting in any plot hole or question being responded to with Lol Hogyoku."
- Characters.Bleach: "Until it's revealed that [Orohime's] power was literally Winds of Destiny, Change personified."
- Changeling: The Lost: "The Contracts of Hearth allow one of the Lost to grant good or bad luck..." (This being a Tabletop RPG, I'm leaning towards Luck Manipulation Mechanic)
- Awesome.Changeling The Lost: "Goddamn fucking lucky Living Painting Fu ends up fighting a horde in a nightclub..."
- Cold Iron: "Cold iron in Never Never prevents Pookas from using any of their special abilities, including changing size and increased luck."
- Dungeon Bypass: "Andrew's "order" ability in Gunnerkrigg Court ends up doing this: It causes the MacGuffin to spontaneously appear at Andrew's feet before the plot of the simulation can even begin, much to his frustration and Parley's annoyance."
- Exalted: "Screw Destiny: Green Sun Princes are one of these, and have a Winds of Destiny, Change ability to boot."
- Characters.Exalted Exalted: "Most of their powers are centered around manipulating fate and weaving destinies."
- Far Fetched Fiction: "The lead character of Sprout Mask Replica has the ability to change major things with his minor actions, although he really doesn't use it wisely."
- Functional Magic: "Holiness. Blessing, healing, protecting... all of the most benevolent of effects."
- Characters.Harry Potter Death Eaters: "That curse [Riddel] put on the Defence Against the Dark Arts Teaching post and how it works across the books would earn him a degree in this subject."
- I Believe I Can Fly: "The only character who explicitly has flight and another power is a freak of nature even by in-universe standards"
- Infernum: "Mortals are capable of generating iliaster by force of will and using it to boost themselves or alter fate...."
Suspected misuse outright:
- Belgariad: "Once upon a time, a stone which possessed the power to change destiny was stolen."
- Characters.Contrast Soul: "[Ciro] underwent Instantaneous Evolution during Lucís time in Spain ... resulting in him gaining the ability to always hit his target through increased focus." (Improbable Aiming Skills)
- Fixing the Game: "In Wheel of Time, Mat Cauthon occasionally gets accused of cheating. But he's just very, very lucky."
- Genius: The Transgression: "They're good at mind control and apparently "psychic" powers"
- Good Omens: "Miraculous near-escapes work like this."
- Characters.Good Omens: Aziraphale
Lists and indexes
Looks generally correct
- (21 of 55 articles checked)
edited 11th Mar '12 10:43:39 AM by Stratadrake
edited 11th Mar '12 10:44:17 AM by Stratadrake
edited 11th Mar '12 5:27:27 PM by Treblain
edited 17th Mar '12 2:52:48 AM by OneMore
- Simply always being lucky, without any explicit supernaturalities involved.
Should be covered by Born Lucky.
- "Manipulating probability" — a supernatural power to change (usually increase) probability of a certain event/outcome happening.
Examples: Lady Bernkastel from Umineko no Naku Koro ni (as said above), Arcueid Brunestud's Marble Phantasm from Tsukihime (capable of, for example, creating vacuum by driving the molecules of air away via manipulating Brownian motion).
Should be under Winds of Destiny, Change.
- "Manipulating luck" — a supernatural power to give or take away "luck" to/from oneself or others; "luck" being defined as "increased probability of events beneficial for the character".
Examples: Tewi Inaba from Touhou (explicit power of "granting luck to humans"), can't think of any more right now.
Not currently a distinct tope, as far as I know, and can be (mis-)put under either of the previous two. May need a trope page, if it's worth it.
edited 20th Mar '12 12:57:32 PM by OneMore
edited 1st May '12 5:34:56 PM by Cider