Web Video: Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: The Abridged Series
aka: Yu-Gi-Oh GX The Abridged Series
has spawned some of the most Abridged Series
out of all anime series, apart from Death Note
. DarkSideIncorporated's original account was terminated by Nihon Ad Systems (and have now moved to "DarkSideCorporated"), and some of RaymsCreator's episodes have been blocked by 4Kids Entertainment
The DarkSideIncorporated version (by ShadyVox and XTheDarkOne) provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: There's a reference to ShadyVox's The Lion King fandubs in episode 2.
- Adaptational Heroism: Chazz, who is more of an Only Sane Man and Friendly Enemy here instead of a Jerkass.
- Angrish: Jaden slips into this when Bastion throws a brick at his face.
- Ambiguously Gay: Syrus.
Syrus: There are fanboys in there!
Jaden: I know! And they're all for you!
Syrus: Really? Oh, hell, I'm coming!
- Berserk Button: Jaden + marijuana - Cheetos = RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick:
"Here you go kids, I made you some rice balls. You got three flavors: strawberry, chocolate and antifreeze. Now dig in!"
- Buried Alive: Played for Laughs with Tory.
- Butt Monkey: Syrus and Jaden (see Chew Toy).
- Call Back: Syrus comments that stealing mail is fun in episode eight, which he did in episode three.
- Call Forward: "Yesterday it was tennis, today is a duel giant, TOMORROW IT'S TARZAN!"
- Captain Obvious: Syrus, lampshaded by Jaden.
Jaden: Syrus, we can play "State the Obvious" later!
- Catch Phrase:
- Reaction shot!
- Sucks to be you. (Zane)
- (Really?) F*** no!! (Crowler)
- Douchebag(s)! (Chazz)
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Alexis. She can be Dangerously Genre Savvy sometimes... and other times really really not.
- Chew Toy: For constant emotional trauma, Syrus. For constant physical torment, Jaden (At least once an episode something or someone will cause him grievous bodily harm... and he's broken his coccyx more than once)
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: During Wheeler the monkey's training to be a Duelist, every time it made a mistake, Miley Cyrus music gets blasted in his ears. Alexis wants in on this training.
- Contractual Immortality: Unfortunately for Jaden, everyone is Genre Savvy enough to know he can't die. Hence nearly every single character has mortally wounded him at some point... including an off-screen dog who did something unspeakable to his legs and ate his liver.
Jaden: I'm the main character, I can't be harmed.
Syrus: Oh really? (cocks gun)
- Cosplay Otaku Boy: Syrus says he likes cosplay, much to Jaden's displeasure.
- Creepy Uncle: Jaden apparently had one of these.
Bastion: Your uncle sounds...odd.
Jaden: Actually, my dad said we're not supposed to call him "uncle" anymore.
- Cross Over: With Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series for the Yu-Gi-Oh! Tenth Anniversary Movie.
- Dissimile: About half of everything Harrington says.
- The Ditz: Alexis in particular stands out from all the others.
- Drinking Game: "Nuts on the Table". It's just as painful as it sounds.
- Dumb Blonde/Brainless Beauty: Alexis, oh so much.
- Expy: Chazz is basically Seto Kaiba from the original series. Then again, he's too rich to be an expy.
- Even Evil Has Standards: While more of a Jerkass than evil, even Jaden who constantly rags on Syrus and acts more like a dick to him than a friend admits that Zane was too much of a dick to Syrus when they were younger.
- Gone Horribly Right: "OMG! We tried resurrecting Jinzo, and we did!"
- Groin Attack: Nuts on the table.
- Heh Heh, You Said X: Heh, heh, you said "pump action".
- Bob, this is not the time or the place!
- Another example from the same episode, when Wheeler the monkey changes all its monsters to Beast types:
- Heroic BSOD: Jaden was very much hoping Wheeler the monkey's deck would not be monkey-themed. Boy was he wrong. Also happens when Bastion disables Jaden's ability to Fusion Summon during the school Duel.
- Ho Yay: With all the ways Jaden describes his relationship with Chazz, his "eternal rival", you'd think someone would bring this up. But the real reason he wants to look for him is just to have a pretext to skip class.
- Syrus has a restraining order out against Jaden who tends to violate his personal space in very unwanted ways. Jaden does ask Syrus if he'd be uncomfortable if Jaden kisses him.
- I Banged Your Mom: During Jaden's and Dmitri's duel.
Dimitri: (impersonating Yugi)
You know he's struggling to fit in. Jaden:
Yeah, well I didn't struggle fitting into his mama. Dimitri:
E-excuse me? Jaden: I. Plowed. Your. Mother.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: Jaden. "Don't you dare try to run away from me, Syrus, you can't win! I've been playing Sonic all day." Accompanied immediately thereafter by sound effects from the games.
- Jaden is also able to jump rooftops due to all his time playing Assassin's Creed.
- Interspecies Romance: Prof Banner and his partner, Pharaoh, aren't in a relationship. He was just joking.
- Jerkass: Jaden. And Zane.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Harrington, when Jaden says that having a deck of just what you love (Tennis in Harrington's case), is stupid. Harrington points out that he did the same thing with Super Heroes. Jaden then asks what the card he played does.
- Larynx Dissonance: All the regular females, particularly Alexis. Averted in episode 17 with Blair, Maiden in Love and Burstinatrix, all of whom were voiced by LadyNanakiXIII
- Vocal Dissonance: Also in general, this is apparent in the "In The Booth" videos. ShadyVox is the tall skinny guy while xTheDarkOne is the fat glasses guy. Guess who voices the high-pitched characters.note
- Left the Background Music On: Jaden uses "Flawless (Go to the City)" by George Michael in his first duel. It is lampshaded and becomes a Leitmotif in later episodes.
- Made of Explodium: All duels somehow end with an explosion. Also lampshaded.
- Mistaken for Gay: Blair.
So let me get this straight
) You're a girl
So when you were talking about Zane, it wasn't- Blair:
You were actually- Blair:
- Most Common Card Game:
Jaden: "King Me."
"Jaden, we're playing Yahtzee
Syrus: "What the hell are you talking about!"
Jaden: "Go fish."
Syrus: "Did you get a concussion while no one was looking?!"
- Noodle Incident: Jaden does a real Motor Mouth one.
Jaden: Oh, you watch me. I'll get this guy faster than the time I was invited to Crowler's birthday party and everyone got absolutely... ...made things worse and it was rumored that Chazz and Bastion had a gay relationship and no one believed it because... ...and Syrus was convinced that he was pregnant and then he made us go to the emergency room where—
- Noodle Implements: After Yugi's deck is stolen, Jaden says they'd need an armadillo, a chess piece, and a car. The armadillo was later seen wandering the blue dorm, and Bastion believes they're not welcome there anymore.
- No Periods, Period: The story of Alexis' first period... in class.
- Off Model:
- Or Are You Just Happy to See Me?: Inverted and subverted in Episode 13
Alexis: Is that an erection in your pocket or are you just a tennis ball?
- The Other Darrin: In Episode 5 and 6, ShadyVox voiced all the characters during Xthedarkone's temporary absence.
- After ShadyVox left to focus on his music, xJerry64x from Pokemon 'Bridged took over his roles. Naturally, this was lampshaded is the teaser to his first episode.
- Overly Long Gag: Bob's, um, Susan's phone call.
- Tory falling through their glass doors.
- Jaden "discussing" with Winged Kuriboh about what to do against Blair. It's hilarious.
- Parrot Exposition: In episode 15 with the words "Stake out".
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Syrus, in episode 9, when he raps.
- Running Gag: Numerous, including...
- Reaction shot!
- Meanwhile, back at the toolshed. (+1 watermelon)
- Subverted when the announcer tries to say, "Meanwhile, at Duel Acadetoolshed"! His attempt to get a watermelon failed.
- That's the last time we take directions from a blind guy!
- Also Jaden experiencing grievous bodily harm (usually inflicted by the other characters) off-screen. E.g.:
Jaden: Ow! My coccyx!
- Crowler getting hit in the face with balls.
Crowler: And that was the last time I ever got hit by a ball. (Gets smacked in the eye with a tennis ball) Oh God, not again!
- "Someone take my beans?" during meals at the Slifer dorm/toolshed.
- "Oh no he didn't~!!"
- ''Lengthily explanation interrupted by: "Yeah, that's great, nobody cares. (Insert random comment)"
- Samus is a Girl: Played straight with Blair.
- Schedule Slip: Although intoxicated, ShadyVox said a new episode would be finished soon. (He was telling the truth. One did come out.)
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Chazz.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Jaden tries to surrender both his Winged Kuriboh card and quit the Academy because of how insane it all is, but by trying to quit he accidentally reforms the villain of the week and he gives up on trying to leave.
Syrus: Jaden, do we really have to do this?
- Stop Helping Me!: In-universe: Winged Kuriboh in Episode 14.
- Strange Minds Think Alike
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion: The Paradox Brothers are really out of practice at first. They get better.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: "Syrus, sit down! And I definitely did not put a whoopee cushion there."
- Synchro-Vox: "Tennis (close-up to Jaden's mouth) suuuuucks."
- Take That:
: That's right! That Millenium Item
is as fake as all the other Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Abridged Series
! Everybody knows that mine is the best!
- And, of course, LittleKuriboh's and Shady Vox's fans get a Take That too.
: I gotta comment. "First
." Yes! I am awesome... I'm gonna ask him when the next one's going to be.
- Episode 16's stinger has a subtle one in which the students complain about how lame Dmitri is for copying people and then claim next people are going to pretend to be Jaden and Syrus. Such people are sad bastards that only do it to get popular.
- The Thing That Would Not Leave: Jaden sees Winged Kuriboh as this. He's tried selling it, he's tried trading it, he's tried sending it to Australia. It's like Droopy; it always comes back.
- The Unintelligible: Chumley. He has been shown to speak perfect English on a few occasions.
- Vocal Evolution: Whilst ShadyVox and TheDarkOne have always been consistently good in the earlier episodes, the audio quality improved over the episodes. The higher quality professional setup probably helped too.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Chumley and his father.
- Weirdness Magnet: the Duel Academy. hilariously lampshaded by Jaden in episode 14.
Jaden: Seriously, why does this crap always happen here! Yesterday it was tennis! Today it's a Duel Giant! Tomorrow it's TARZAN! THIS PLACE IS CRAZY!
- Your Other Left: Bastion has to tell Jaden which way to look.
Bastion: There's a duel going on. On your left is Dimitri.
Jaden: (looks right) Ooooh.
Bastion: No, no, Jaden. Your other left.
Jaden: (looks left) Ooooh.
Bastion: And he's dueling Syrus.
Jaden: I see.
Bastion: ...He's on the right.
Jaden: (looks right) Ooooh. Gotcha.
- Would Not Hit a Girl:
Blair: You wouldn't hit a girl, would you?
Jaden: Of course not.
Blair: Good, because that would make you a big-
Jaden: I burn the living crap out of them. (cue fire attack)
The Sephirex version provides examples of:
The RaymsCreator version provides examples of: