"Welcome to the Anime Zone. I've hoped you've enjoyed the constructive, fast-paced, sarcastic videos that are my anime reviews, and for the last fucking time, go watch Baccano! now."Garnt Maneetapho, a.k.a. Gigguk, is a British-Thai, fast-talking, self-made anime reviewer who originated on YouTube and is the sole founder of The Anime Zone, co-founder of The PodTaku Podcast, and director of EvAbridged.Born in Brighton, England to Thai immigrants, he began his reviewing career in 2007 as a way to procrastinate from math homework. It all started with a review of Bleach under his Thai nickname, Gigguk. Since then, he has changed his style from leisurely enjoyment to a more analytical and comedic approach. His final grade is based on a 0 to 10 rating system, designating each title with a single integer. He is open to reviewing any title from any genre, despite his aversion to high school and moe anime.2012 marked the beginning of his tenure as a permanent panelist on The PodTaku Podcast. He was joined by fellow reviewers Arkada, Holden, and Jeanne. He followed it up two months later with the release of EvAbridged, a highly satirical parody of Rebuild of Evangelion, in which he voices the role of Fuyutsuki. On September 25, 2013, he and the rest of PodTaku launched J-Taku, a separate podcast of singular topics devoted to anime, which was developed with the help of several other reviewers note .He can be found on Formspring, Twitter, Tumblr, and MyAnimeListShout Outs can be found here. To see a full list of material created by Gigguk, see here.
—1000 Subscriber Special
Gigguk provides examples of the following tropes:
- Applied Mathematics: He was able to sum up all the relationships from School Days using variables and simple functions.
- Badass Grandpa: He describes Edward Newgate as one.
- Country Matters: When giving a rundown of the cast of School Days he just refers to Makoto as a Cunt.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Fanservice/Ecchi: A major topic that comes up in his videos. Gigguk's stance is that, quite simply, Sex Sells. His full view was encapsulated in this video.
- Good with Numbers: Up until his 10,000 subscriber special, Gigguk attended Bristol University where he majored in Electronic Engineering.
- Leeroy Jenkins: The intro to his Sword Art Online review.
- Magical Asian: One of the jokes in the PodTaku Drunk Podcast episode was that Gigguk would win in a fight between the four panelists due to his superior math knowledge and inherent martial arts skills.
- Oh Crap!: The beginning of his School Days review.Gigguk: Today on the Anime Zone, a review of School Days. *Chirping Crickets* ...SHIT.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Despite his constant aversion to slice-of-life, moe, high school anime, he highly praised The Disapperance of Haruhi Suzumiya for being so unlike it's predecessor anime series.
- Out Of Character Is Serious Business: His genuine and non-joking review of Summer Wars, in which he stressed the utter importance of family.
- Running Gag
- Rule of Cool: Often a optional criteria he uses as he sees fit. Was a major factor of criteria with his Top 20 Epically Cool Anime Characters list.
- Timey-Wimey Ball: His summation of the plot twists of Steins;Gate.The story had more twists and turns I've seen in any show since Code Geass, with these plot twists mostly coming from our lack of understanding when it comes to time travel, allowing the author to effectively theorize his own science in the understanding of the quantum mechanics inherent behind the paradoxical results of jumping through time a.k.a. he can make shit up.
- Troperiffic: Gigguk has been known to use tropes by name.
- X Meets Y: Zero Punctuation meets Anime.