Thief: The Dark Project
"What the hell is a taffer
is a 1998 first-person stealth game, and the first of the Thief
series. It was designed by Looking Glass Studios
and published by Eidos Interactive.
It begins with Garrett as a young street urchin being found by an organization called the Keepers, who taught him in the ways of stealth and balance before he left the organization to pursue a career as thief. He soon finds himself entangled in a conflict between the forces of order and chaos.
The following year, Thief Gold
was released, adding three new levels and a host of bugfixes.
Along with Metal Gear Solid
(released the same year), it is regarded as one of the first video games to pioneer the modern stealth genre.
This game provides examples of:
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: The Downwind Thieves' Guild is headquartered in the sewers beneath the Overlord's Fancy tavern and illegal casino.
- Advancing Wall of Doom: A Keeper outpost has one as a booby trap.
- Affably Evil: Constantine, at least until his reveal.
- Always Night: There are only two missions set during daytime, and even in those, you spend most of your time indoors or in an abandoned old mine.
- Ancient Tomb: The missions "Down in the Bonehoard" and "The Lost City".
- Eldritch Location: Besides the Old Quarter and the Lost City, Constantine's mansion. The first few halls are quite conventional, but once you infiltrate it deeper, the weirdness starts, and it's quite unsettling.
- Eye Scream: Garrett suffered from one when the Trickster betrayed him. We later see a brief, detailed close-up of the shriveled, bloody gap in his face.
- Marathon Level: The Thieves' Guild level. First there's the restaurant, then the casino, then the sewer passage to Reuben's place, then...you get the picture.
- Plot Coupons: At one point, Garrett has to find the four keys to a locked cathedral.
- Refusal of the Call: Garrett does not want to be a Keeper or to be involved in their plots. This doesn't stop The Keepers from seeking Garrett out.
Artemus: You cannot run from life as you did from us, Garrett. Life has a way of finding you, no matter how artistic a sneak you are.
Garrett: Tell my friends that I don't need their secret book, or their glyph warnings, or their messengers. Tell them I'm through. Tell them it's
- Retirony: A variation - Garrett expresses his intention to retire after stealing the Eye from the cathedral in the first game, before the Trickster betrays him and leaves him for dead.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Constantine to Garrett, in a memorably horrific fashion after revealing himself as The Trickster.