Terra Nova : Strike Force Centauri is a 1996 powered armor combat simulation game developed by Looking Glass Studios. Set on the various planets and moons of the Alpha Centauri star system under colonisation, the game revolves around teams of powered armor pilots being deployed to fight rebel groups or bandits.A fansite of the game can be found here.Not to be confused with the television series Terra Nova.Needs Wiki Magic Love.
Tropes seen in the game:
- Drop Pod: The game's powered armor doubles as one during the final descent phase of the deployment at the start of each mission.
- Full Motion Video: The live-action cutscenes. (However, interior backdrops or animated cutscenes of vehicles, exteriors, etc. are CGI, though.) Rather infamously, Looking Glass Studios invested quite a lot into making these (since they were all the rage in mid-1990s games), but the financial loses from this and Terra Nova sales underperforming led to long-term financial issues for the developer.
- A Mech by Any Other Name: Well, not exactly a typical mech, but the combat suits are referred to as "PBAs" (an acronym for "Powered Battle Armor").
- Powered Armor: The game revolves around you piloting a fairly bulky but sophisticated military-grade combat model.
- Scenery Porn: Despite the age of the game, the developers did their best to offer relatively realistically generated and life-like landscapes, with highly varying environments. The draw distance alone is impressive for 1996, and even the particle effects are decent for the period.
- Simulation Game: Of a soldier piloting powered armor and engaging in tactical combat on a fairly huge battlefield with plenty of varying terrain.
- The Squad: You generally don't fight alone, but as the leader of a team of 2-4 powered armor pilots.
- Also the subject of the toast which is the last line of the game:"To the squad!""THE SQUAD!"
- Also the subject of the toast which is the last line of the game: