Pokémon Reborn is a fan game set in the Reborn region after an environmental disaster, divided into multiple episodes. Interestingly, it is not a ROM Hack
, but an RPG Maker
game. The game is notable for having a mature story compared to the main series, with a terrorist attack happening right in the intro. The game is also mind-bendingly difficult
, at least in relation to the canon games, as a level cap is enforced by the badge system in a much more strict manner than the official games; you aren't allowed to Level Grind
past every leader or they begin to disobey you
. There are also some absurdly powerful bosses - far stronger than you would ever expect at that point in the game - that almost come out of nowhere.
In Reborn City, Pokémon are scarce, the lake has more poison than water, plant life consumes whole wards quickly and without warning, and the population rarely ventures outside of the city. What's more, the local villainous team already have the region in their clutches. Enter our protagonist, a new trainer hoping to take on the Reborn League who finds him/herself caught up in much, much more.
The game can be downloaded here
. There's also a fairly active forum, which has developed its own internal memes. (Just ask about Terra's couches.
Tropes used in Pokémon Reborn:
- Arc Symbol: A circle surrounded by 4 rectangles resembling the wheel on Arceus's back appear almost everywhere in the game including a host of doors that cannot be opened. Similarly, The colors Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, and Amethyst also seem to appear everywhere. It is revealed by Solaris that at least one of the doors was build by a civilization where Reborn now resides to enshrine where Acreus fell to earth and is sealed by the four respective stones in the form of jewelry, which later become the main Mac Guffins for the ongoing plot.
- After the End
- Ambiguously Gay / Bi the Way: Cain. Dresses like a punk girl and loves throwing out innuendos such as calling himself a princess and you his prince (regardless of your gender). He also likes singing.
- Ambiguous Gender: Adrienn the fairy gym leader, who does not identify as male or female.
- Anti-Grinding: Similar to the main series games, pokemon that have their levels too high will not obey you if you do not have enough gym badges. Unlike the main series however, it does not matter if they are trade or not.
- Author Avatar / Creator Cameo: Ame, who serves as the administrator for the Reborn region. The actual Amethyst (a.k.a. the game's creator) has stated that she will have no major role in the game beyond that.
- Almost all of major characters are members of the site's own pokemon League.
- Big Damn Heroes: When Amaria saves you from a Garchomp.
- Crapsack World
- Darker and Edgier: The establishing moment for the game is a terrorist attack on the train you were on.
- Final Boss Preview: Not the final boss, but at one point at the game you team up with Amaria, a late-game gym leader. The enemy levels at this point in the game are in their mid-30's. Her Pokémon are in the mid-70's.
- Gaia's Lament: The titular city of reborn. Team Meteor is the cause of it
- Gaia's Vengeance: Attacks by plants have destroyed several wards. Team Meteor invoked this.
- Grande Dame: Mrs.Craudberry
- Jerk Ass: While he may not seem that way when you first meet him, after you get your first badge, Fern quickly establishes himself as one of these when you next meet him
- Just Between You and Me: Subverted - The (apparent) head of Team Meteor is only explaining his plan to distract you while his Garchomp kills you.
- Orphanage of Fear: The Lapis Ward Orphanage
- Psycho Psychologist: Dr. Sigmund runs an Orphanage of Fear and puts his charges through literal shock therapy.
- Shout-Out: After the Grand Stairway is destroyed in Northern Obsidia Ward, you can find a civilian who will say "On this day, humanity received a grim reminder..."
- In Lapis Ward, there is a lady named Lenore who uses a Luvdisc and a Murkrow.
- The Battle Didn't Count: When you defeat the boss battle Solaris, on top of the volcano, which is meant to be lost, as the boss is over 30 levels higher than your Pokemon, he shrugs it off and acts as if he ended the fight because he was bored.