Simply put, a smoker decides to put their cigarette or cigar out... on another living person. Sometimes this is used as an improvised weapon in desperate situations, but other times, it is used as a form of torture or abuse, as a sign that the character doing the putting out is a Jerkass or outright bastard, or as a form of Macho Masochism or Self-Harm if this is done to oneself. Compare Second Face Smoke. Related to Improbable Weapon User.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- YuYu Hakusho: In the manga, Sakamoto threatens to burn out Kuwabara's kitten's eye with a cigarette, though Yusuke stops him from doing so.
- In X2: X-Men United, Wolverine comes into Cerebro smoking a cigar, and when Professor X tells him to put it out, Wolverine does so by crushing it into his own palm. Good Thing You Can Heal.
- In Dude, Where's My Car? the two main characters are interrogated by the police. The cops try to invoke To the Pain by demonstrating what they'll do to them if they don't talk by hurting a mannequin. One of they things they do is put a cigarette out on it, and one of the main characters says "Leave him alone! He doesn't know anything!"
- The Crow: In a bar scene, one mook puts a cigar out on his own tongue for laughs.
- The Professional Killer in Best Seller (1987) does this to himself as Macho Masochism. This is what tips off the cop that he's the same masked robber he encountered years before, having seen the scars on his palm.
- Thunderball. Emilio Largo uses a combination of a lit cigarette and ice cubes to torture his mistress for information, when he finds out she's in league with James Bond.
- Cube 2: Hypercube: After rescuing a general who was involved in black ops operations from committing suicide by hanging, someone points out that the man was badly tortured with cigarette burns.
- Videodrome: Nikki puts out a cigarette on her left breast as part of her masochistic tendencies, despite Max's pleas for her not to.
- Man on Fire: Pita notices that Creasy has scars from cigarette burns on his hands, hinted to be a remnant from his past as a soldier, and asks them where he got them. He tells her she doesn't need to know and should treat him as an employee, not a friend.
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day: When the T-800 demands the clothing from a biker in a packed road bar, the unimpressed biker puts out his cigar on the terminator's torso. The T-800 (who can't feel pain) doesn't even flinch, confusing the biker.
- A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors: While watching TV late at night past the mandatory bedtime at Westin Hills Asylum, Jennifer puts out a cigarette on her hand in an effort to stay awake so Freddy can't come after her. It fails, and he kills her.
- The Outsiders: Ponyboy mentions at one point that he once played chicken with Tim Shepard's brother by burning one another's fingertips with cigarettes; it went on until Tim Shepard himself showed up and chewed them out for doing something so stupid.
- First Lensman: When a minor bad guy decides to torture information out of Jill Samms, he starts proceedings by putting his cigarette out on the skin just under her armpit.
- In Ken Follett's Mirage Katra is repeatedly tortured for information by Robbie using a cigar on her naked torso. He then subjects her to Electric Torture.
Live Action TV
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: In the fourth season episode "Primeval," Spike manages to escape from Forrest by putting his cigarette out in his eye.
- House: In the episode "Distractions," House discovers that a patient has a cigarette burn on his wrist.
- On Raising Hope, Jimmy tries to get his mother to quit smoking for the sake of baby Hope. They decide they should also get Maw-Maw to quit too. When Jimmy's father tells her about it, she shows what she thinks of that idea by putting her cigarette out on his arm.
- In the episode "The Magdalen Martyrs" of Jack Taylor, there is a diary that recounts the author's years as a young woman in one of Ireland's infamous Magdalene laundries, in which she and the rest of the "fallen women" sent to work off their sins and repent were tortured by a particularly sadistic nun. In one of the entries, her best friend was leaving the laundry to get married, and the nun, whom all the girls called Lucifer, walked in. Lucifer told the friend that it's a shame she doesn't have a leaving present, but would think of something, and thereafter lit cigarettes for the two of them, gives her a Hannibal Lecture about how memories of the laundry, and especially of Lucifer herself, would never go away, and then proceeds to give one of these as her farewell present.
- Veronica Mars: While talking to his daughter's abusive boyfriend, Aaron Echolls shows him some scars on his hands. He recounts how his alcoholic and incredibly abusive father (something Aaron himself inherited) put out a cigarette on his hand when Aaron tried to stop his dad from beating his mother. He then gives the guy a better view.
- The debut trailer for Dm C Devil May Cry depicted Dante putting his cigarette out on a demon's face while holding it in a headlock.
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2: While they have her in captivity, Zobek puts out a cigarette on Raisa Volkova's face.
- Batman: Arkham Origins: Warden Joseph has a bandage over his left eye for the duration of the game as a result of Black Mask burning his eye with a cigarette.
- Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time: Right before fighting Sly, El Jefe grinds out his cigar on his own palm... and doesn't bat an eye while doing so.
- Family Guy:
- In "Screwed the Pooch," Carter puts a cigarette out on Peter's chest.
- In the episode "Breaking Out Is Hard to Do," Lois, while addicted to the rush of shoplifting, puts out a cigarette on her own arm.
- In "Friends of Peter G.", Death shows Peter what he will become if he doesn't learn to control his drinking: an abusive Fat Slob who tortures his family with cigar burns (though Stewie enjoys it).