Are you really certain you want to stop me? What makes you think you can?
"Am I not Thanos?! Did I not butcher the woman who gave me birth, who forced me into this hell called life? Is not the wake of my passing crimson with the blood of my enemies and allies alike?! Death is with me every second of the day!"
Greetings, Terran. If my words are too much for your simple mind, you may read an alternate version of this page here.
As I have anticipated, you came to TV Tropes
, seeking knowledge about Thanos of Titan. How predictable. As you probably have noticed, I implanted several memetic viruses that will make you browse through this website, refusing to stop, eat, or sleep until your demise or I find a use for you
. But do not despair, as I, Thanos, am not without mercy. To ease your suffering, I will grant your desire and share my secrets with you
. You will know the story of Thanos, the Mad Titan, servant of Mistress Death
and one of the most threatening villains in Marvel Universe
, as well as one of the most iconic, comparable perhaps only to Doctor Doom
I was born on Titan, moon of planet Saturn, home to the Titans, fraction of Eternals
that left the Earth thousands of years ago. I was one of two sons of wise ruler Alars, also known as Mentor, and his wife, Sui-San. Unfortunately I was born a mutant, which condemned me with appearance closer to Deviants, the Eternals' sister race and sworn enemies. That made my life miserable, giving others reason to bully me, while my brother, Eros, was loved by all. It was some small mercy that my mutation granted me vast strength and durability, far greater than any of my kin; my ability to wield cosmic energy was likewise second-to-none.
Alone and bored, one day, at the age of eight, I killed my first victim. This was the moment that I saw my love, Mistress Death, for the first time. It became my obsession to see her again and I discovered new ways to kill and perfected already known ones, in order to achieve this goal and win her black heart. When it was finally discovered by others, I tried to kill my father and usurp his throne, but I was defeated and forced to exile.
For many years I traveled through the Universe, claiming all power within my reach. I had finally returned to Titan after my exile, and let it taste my nuclear revenge
, claiming the lives of all but a bare few Titans; my mother was not one of the survivors.
When I had built a base on Insignificant Little Blue Planet
, called Earth, my ship was possibly spotted by a human family, which I killed. But my father saved the still living human child and asked the god of time, Chronos, (also our ancestor) to create a weapon to fight me. The girl grew up to become known as Moondragon, and Chronos has reanimated her father into Drax The Destroyer, both of whom became my sworn enemies.
It was because of Drax that I encountered heroes of planet Earth for the first time – when I imprisoned him in my hideout on Earth, Iron Man
has answered his calls for rescue. That was when Jim Starlin
introduced me to the fans of Marvel Comics
. In the pages of Iron Man
vol. 1 #55 (February, 1973). Since then the name of Thanos, The Mad Titan, has been known and feared among Terran superheroes. It was also Earth that had created Adam Warlock
, one of my greatest enemies and yet perhaps my only true friend
, and had acted as a sanctuary for the Silver Surfer
and Captain Marvel
(not that one
, mind you). It was Mar-Vell who stopped me from claiming the power of the Cosmic Cube
and it was he and the Avengers
who stopped me from using six the Soul Gems to destroy all of the stars in the galaxy, as a gift to Mistress Death. And it was Warlock who briefly returned from the death. I granted him to slay me in return.
I was not dead for long, however (from 1977 to 1990, as your universe measures time; mine, as you may be aware, measures time rather more slowly
). I was resurrected by Mistress Death as her thrall, with increased power, on a mission to kill half of the sentient life on the Universe, in order to keep the balance between life and death, which she felt had recently tilted too far in life's direction.
Let none say that my mistress is not kind; she sought this goal so that those who remained would live lives that were not haunted by the specters of overpopulation, starvation, and extreme environmental damage. This also guaranteed that some would survive to give her more souls under her power. The imminent universal population crash that she feared would leave none alive to die.
However, I did not wanted to be her mere servant, but equal. I gathered the six Soul Gems again, renaming them the Infinity Gems, as I realized they have the power to grant one omnipotence. As wielder of such power
however, I found myself superior
to Death, who rejected me out of spite for surpassing her, and claimed that showing affection to me would be rising above her station. Driven obsessed to impress her, I used my new Infinity Gauntlet to prove myself worthy of her love and defeating all, who tried to stop me, including the strongest forces in the Universe; even her counterpart, the embodiment of the universe's life force known as Eternity. Alas, she at last openly attacked me, and I was forced to defeat her too. I then usurped Eternity's place as personification of the Universe. It was a fatal mistake on my part, as I gave up my body to do so; I did not pay proper attention to it, and that allowed the Gauntlet to be stolen.
After that I gave up my old ways, seeking peace and even aided Adam Warlock against his evil and good sides
– Magus and Goddess. For years I have been both hero and villain, there was one incident was I was actually defeated by a Terran girl whose powers were based on communicating with arboreal rodents. Now I know how Von Doom
felt. If you wish to live to see your twilight years, you WILL remain silent about this
. This part of my life ended with my second death, this time at the hands of Drax, when I joined Annihilus in his war against the Universe
, just out of intellectual curiosity to see what would happen. I was brought back to life yet again, this time to save Death
from threat of Many-Angled Ones
, gods of the corrupted world known as the Cancerverse, where nothing can die. When I managed to kill all life in this Universe, Death—whom I had just saved—rejected me yet again. Enraged, I then battled Nova and Star-Lord who sacrificed themselves to keep me in this dying dimension. But I assure you, Thanos had not said his final word.
my path have crossed with Earth's superheroes yet again.
You may find subjective opinions of me made by your fellow Terrans here.
Notable comics with Thanos:
Thanos provides examples of:
- Actually a Doombot: Every time Thanos has tasted defeat, it was really just one of my clones. Including that time when Squirrel Girl defeated one and The Watcher has appeared to confirm it's the real Thanos. My clones are good enough to fool even him. And that writer who claims I'm lying and it was real me who tasted the defeat at her hands does not know what he is talking about. Of course, even he goes back and forth on this...]
- A God Am I: When I had took the power of the Cosmic Cube, and then later the Infinity Gauntlet. it was what I had become. And once again, when I tried to become All-Father of my own pantheon.
- And I Must Scream: After I was resurrected, the only reason I didn't kill the Guardians of the Galaxy in the first place was because Rocket Raccoon threatened me with eternal life and separation from death.
- Anti-Villain: On my more peaceful days, I may blur the lines of a Noble Demon. However, even then I have singlehandedly razed planets full of warriors to the ground for sport. On my less peaceful days, including after returning from death in the Cancerverse, I am a Dystopia Justifies the Means, Omnicidal Maniac, and moral nihilist, who was born in paradise, started by razing and pillaging it and other inhabited planets to the ground, and only got worse from there.
- Arch-Enemy: For Drax the Destroyer, Moondragon, Captain Marvel and, sometimes, Adam Warlock. Possibly the Silver Surfer too, though he has learned well not to cross paths with me, and I have proven to be such a dangerous entity that many consider me to be this to the entire Marvel Universe...fortunately for you all, though, my true Arch-Enemy is myself.
- Badass Boast: "You address omnipotence. Tread carefully."
- Big Screwed-Up Family: My father, Mentor, raised Heather Douglas, otherwise known as Moondragon, the daughter of my eternal pursuer Drax.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth: Both my doppleganger, and Ahkenaten became butterflies after I slew them.
- The Cameo: In The Avengers, I'm revealed as the leader of the Chitauri army. I would later play a slightly larger role in Guardians of the Galaxy as the Bigger Bad behind Ronan and Nebula.
- The Chessmaster: I am known as this on a universal scale.
- Death Is Cheap: Sadly, I have come back from the realm of my beloved twice. One can not stay dead if she needs him alive.
- Death Seeker: I will find a way to be once again with Mistress Death and nothing will stop me from it. The last time I came back to life, I thanked Drax the Destroyer for killing me. You cannot begin to fathom the depths of my pain at being continuously denied the peace I seek.
- The Dreaded: All beings fear Thanos, whether moral or god. And rightly so.
- Enemy Mine: Several times have I allied myself with my foes against common threats.
- Enemies with Death: Who is one, has an enemy in myself. Many-Angled Ones have discovered this the hard way. So did Death-God Walker, who desired to take her role.
- Energy Absorption: A trait common to all the Eternals of Titan, placing us above the Eternals of other worlds. I, however, have mastered this power to a level beyond that of even my kin.
- Enfant Terrible: My father has had a slight mental breakdown, and believes that as a child I slaughtered and dissected my mother, although this in no way fits into my previously established life history (though this has not stopped me from boasting of it).
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: My dear Sui-San. Even when she tried to kill me when I was born, I will never forget her place in my life, even if she was clinically insane and even before I killed her.
- Evil Genius: I have mastered every science in the universe from an early age, and have centuries of experience dabbling in the occult. In addition, I am a strategist on a level that not even the Grandmaster, an immortal Elder of the Universe who devoted his life to strategy and games, can compete with (as he learned to his cost), to say nothing of my mastery of the combat. One of my lesser achievement was unlocking the DNA of Galactus, a cosmic entity, and making a hybrid clone of he and myself, just to show that I could. What mind can compare to the mind of Thanos?
- Evil Plan: I only seek to impress Mistress Death and earn her affection. This has lead me to plot wide spread destruction on many an occassion.
- Eye Beams: One of the most potent ways I channel cosmic energy; not even The Thing or The Mighty Thor can withstand them.
- Fairy Companion: For some time I have been tolerating the presence of Skreet The Chaos Mite, who has been serving me as this. We parted our ways once I had been killed by Drax. Fortunate for her, as even Thanos can only withstand her strange behaviour for so long.
- Fatal Flaw: Thanos has no flaws! However, my victories do seem to be tainted by what lesser being would define as self-defeatism.
- For the Evulz: I had once orchestrated a situation where my brother has been held for trial, and sent my clone with modified memories to convince everybody it was he who made me fall in love with Death, thus making him responsible for all my crimes. She-Hulk traveled into the clone's mind to discover it was a lie and that I did all of it not because of revenge, but for pure entertainment.
- Friendly Enemy: Time and time again, Adam Warlock has thwarted my plans...nevertheless, he is perhaps the only friend I have.
- Genius Bruiser: No other mind can match my intelligence, nor any other body match my strength.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: I will ally myself with and consider myself both a force of good and evil, depending.
- Irony: In relation to the above as I made Deadpool immortal, so did Death made me. Temporarily.
- Large Ham: Even by my presence alone, I invoke such a bombastic stance.
- Mad Scientist: To those lesser minds who call me "The Mad Titan". My scientific acumen, of course, is second to none. The mind of Thanos is his greatest weapon.
- Mighty Glacier / Nigh-Invulnerability: I am not the fastest or most agile combatant in the cosmos...but few can hit as hard, and even fewer can withstand blows as well. Thor's own father, Odin, was unable to keep me down in our battle.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: I inverted this when I made Deadpool immortal to prevent him from taking my beloved Death.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: My name is Greek for 'death'.
- Offing the Offspring: That foolish pirate Nebula claimed to be the granddaughter of Thanos. My response was succinct and swift.
- In more recent fair, I have apparently had a great many offspring, whom I have killed, with only one left, imaginatively named Thane, the child of an unknown Inhuman female.
- Omnicidal Maniac: On my days as wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet and prior to them.
- Pet the Dog: I must confess to some fondness for my adopted daughter, Gamora. Even when she has tried to kill me on occasion.
- Straw Nihilist: For years I was a nihilist, until abandoning this philosophy.
- Super Strength: I have faced The Mighty Thor, and The Blue-eyed Thing in battle at the same time, and came out triumphant! On another occasion Thor came out triumphant, but as usual my sycophantic thrall Jim Starlin tried to retcon it into a powerful clone.
- Thanatos Gambit: My ultimate plan ends with my own death so I may be with my beloved mistress.
- Together in Death: After Annihilation, I finally had a chance to be together, forever, with Death. But Fate, and that sanctimonious fool Adam Warlock, had other plans.
- Übermensch: No creature in the universe can compare to me.
- Unexplained Recovery: As to how I escaped from a collapsing, dying universe with no possibility of escape... I am Thanos. You should do well to remember that.
- Unstoppable Rage: After my latest resurrection, I was so enraged as to sunder a whole planet, the homeworld of the Church of Universal Truth, in but a few hours. Regrettably, my faculties were impaired by the sheer level of rage I felt at being separated from my lady Death, and full recovery of my composure took some time.
- Villain Ball / Idiot Ball: Several times I had suffered from this at the verge of absolute victory. As Adam Warlock theorized, I had let myself be defeated, because subconsciously I had not found myself worthy of the absolute power I tried to claim.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Certainly not I, who desires nothing more than to die and reunite with my beloved.
- Xanatos Speed Chess: Another thing I'm known for.