Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 4 E 8 Pangs
Willow: If we could just talk to him—
Spike: You exterminated his race. What could you possibly say that would make him feel better?
An excavation disturbs the spirit of a vengeful Native American spirit. Spike turns himself in to the Scoobies because he has nowhere else to go.
- Annoying Arrows: Buffy gets an arrow through her arm, and Spike gets turned into an arrow pin-cushion.
- Bad News in a Good Way:
Anya: The syphilis will make you blind and insane, but it won't kill you. The smallpox will do that.
- Bait and Switch / Mook Horror Show: The episode opens with a handsome youth (clearly our Victim of the Week) walking fearfully through The Lost Woods, then jumping in fear as he comes face to face with...the Slayer!
- Being Watched: Buffy senses Angel's presence. As she did not have this ability before, it's likely an after-effect of Angel feeding on her in "Graduation Day."
- Bear Hug: Happens literally!
- Bears Are Bad News
Spike: A BEAR! YOU MADE A BEAR!
Buffy: I didn't mean to!
Spike: UNDO IT! UNDO IT!.
- Blatant Lies: Buffy is certainly not holding her Thanksgiving Dinner at Giles' house so he'll be stuck with the cleaning up.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs
Buffy, earlier you agreed with me about Thanksgiving. It's a sham. It's all about death. Buffy:
It is a sham, but it's a sham with yams. It's a yam sham. Willow:
You're not gonna jokey-rhyme
your way out of this one.
- Buffy Speak: Buffy says the stolen Shumash knife is a "juicy piece of clueage." She wants to find a "non-slayee way" to stop Hus.
- Bullet Dodge: We see an amusing crossbow error, as Buffy shoots a bolt at the Native American ghost outside the window, who just casually bends aside as the bolt sails veeery slowly out into the night.
- The Bus Came Back: And he's not evil!
- Butt Monkey: Xander again.
- *Cough* Snark *Cough*: The commandoes are griping about how Prof. Walsh is making them search for Spike on Thanksgiving Day.
Riley: As long as he knows about the Initiative, he's a threat. We do this the Professor's way.
Forrest: (Coughing the words.) Mama's boy.
Riley: That's a nasty cough. You might need to spend the weekend in quarantine.
Forrest: Oh, no. I'm done coughing.
- Description Cut: Even more than usual.
- Genre Savvy: Buffy claims that, as patriarch, Giles is required to host the Thanksgiving dinner. He asks her if it is really an elaborate plot to stick him with the cleanup afterwards. She quickly changes subject.
- Get Out
Harmony: Get out!
Spike: But, baby, this is where I belong.
Harmony: (Pointing.) Out. I mean it. I've been doing a lot of reading, and I'm in control of my own power now, so we're through.
- Hero Stole My Bike: The Scoobies steal some bikes to get back to Giles' apartment in a hurry, which leads to a shot of them pedaling along to Big Damn Heroes-type music.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: Happy Thanksgiving. Here's some funny syphilis.
- Hot Men At Work: Anya watching Xander dig.
"Soon he'll be sweating. I'm imagining having sex with him again."
- Human Pincushion: Spike, much to his annoyance.
"Hey! Watch the heart!"
- Hypocritical Humor: Spike derides the idea of apologising to the Shumash, but quickly changes his mind once they start shooting him full of arrows.
- I Like My X Like I Like My Y
- I'm Standing Right Here: Xander accidentally burns Anya.
Xander: He's a vengeance demon. You don't talk to vengeance demons. You kill them.
- Indian Burial Ground
- Inverted Trope: The vampire as scared victim being attacked by the Big Bad Buffy.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Spike scorns the idea of apologising to the ghosts, but he does have a point that feeling awkward and guilty is not going to help the situation in the slightest. Besides: "You exterminated his race. What could you possibly say that would make him feel better? It's kill or be killed here; take your bloody pick."
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Harmony kicking out Spike
I'm strong and I'm beautiful and I don't need you to complete me. (pulls out stake) And you're mean!.
- Last-Second Word Swap: Spike, running his hand up Harmony's leg.
"I knew you'd end up welcoming me back with open...arms."
- Magical Native American
Willow: Yeah. Thanksgiving isn't about blending of 2 cultures; it's about one culture wiping out another. And then they make animated specials about the part where, with the maize and the big, big belt buckles. They don't show you the next scene, where all the bison die and squanto takes a musket ball in the stomach.
Buffy: Ok. Now, for some of that, you were channeling your mother.
- Oh Wait, This Is My Grocery List: Willow starts reading what she thinks is a list of ingredients for a magic potion, only to be told it's the recipe for the turkey stuffing.
- Pillow Pistol: Harmony keeps a wooden stake in her bed, which she uses to drive off Spike.
Spike: You had that in our bed?! Do you know how dangerous that is?!
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: Parodied.
Giles: It's clear we're dealing with a spirit of some kind. It's very common for Indian spirits to change to animal form.
Buffy: It's plenty uncommon for me to freeze up during a fight. I mean, I had the guy, I was ready for the take-down, and I stopped. And Native American.
Buffy: We don't say "Indian."
Giles: Oh, right. Yes, yes. Um, always behind on the terms. Still trying not to refer to you lot as "bloody colonials."
- Psycho Strings: Stake-wielding Harmony.
- Required Spinoff Cross Over: After these events Buffy visits Los Angeles to express her annoyance to Angel personally in the Tear Jerker episode "I Will Remember You".
- Running Gag: People assuming Angel has turned evil again. Every conversation Buffy has gets turned to the subject of food.
- Sarcasm Mode: Giles gets in plenty in this episode.
Giles: Let's give him land!
Buffy: Sarcasm accomplishes nothing, Giles.
Giles: It's sort of an end in itself.
"You came in, and you killed them, and you took their land. That's what conquering nations do. It's what Caesar did, and he's not going around saying 'I came, I conquered, I feel really bad about it.'"
- Saying Too Much: Xander.
"Good times. Especially with Angel here and everything." (As Buffy was not told this she glares down the table at a shameful Willow, an embarrassed Xander and Giles, and Spike trying not to laugh) "Oops."
- Serious Business: Buffy's Thanksgiving dinner.
- Shout-Out: The aforementioned bike scene, straight out of E.T.
- Shovel Strike
- Sickly Green Glow
- Soapbox Sadie: Willow.
- So Much for Stealth: Angel, lampshaded by Giles.
- Talk About That Thing: When Buffy runs into Riley outside the Expresso Pump.
Willow: Hi. Well, I'm just gonna let you two... Look, they're selling coffee in the coffee shop. Yum.
- Technical Pacifist: Buffy is reluctant to hurt Hus, but eventually gets over it.
- Twisted Echo Cut: Willow asks what the stolen Chumash knife looks like; Smash Cut to Buffy telling Giles:
"Pretty darn scary....It more like a riot than a Ralph's. I thought I was going to have to use Slayer moves on this one woman who was completely hoarding the pumpkin pie filling."
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: The Chumash spirit morphs into a flock of ravens and a bear.
- Wall Glower: A starving and homeless Spike stares longingly through a window at a pack of vampires encouraging a newbie to feed on a victim.
- Woman Scorned: Harmony throws Spike out of the crypt when he goes there looking for food.
- Worrying for the Wrong Reason: Xander is in a panic because he has been cursed with a host of diseases. He's most stressed about the syphilis. Anya says comfortingly:
It'll make you blind and insane, but it won't kill you. The smallpox will.