Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 5 E 1 Buffy Vs Dracula
Dracula: Do you know why you cannot resist me?
Buffy: Because you're famous?
The legend himself comes to Sunnydale to bring the Slayer under his thrall. We are introduced to Buffy's sister Dawn
- The Ace: Dracula is unkillable and everyone he's encountered gushes about him (except Spike).
- A Storm Is Coming: A storm heralds Dracula's arrival.
- Beach Episode: Starts as one with the Scoobies hanging out at the beach. Until a sudden storm interrupts their fun.
- Bishōnen: Dracula
- Blatant Lies: Giles on being licked by three buxom vampire sisters.
Giles: I was just about to kill those loathsome creatures when Riley interrupted me.
Riley: Really? You were gonna nuzzle 'em to death?"
- Breaking And Bloodsucking: Of course Drac is going to do things the traditional way.
- Buffy Speak: After going "Repeato Girl" over Dracula's charm, Riley accuses Buffy of transferring her feelings for Angel, causing her to assure him, "I'm not transfer-y!"
- Butt Monkey: Xander refers to himself for the first time
Dammit! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis
. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt-monkey! [Giles, Riley, and Buffy nod and try to look solemn] Buffy:
Check. No more butt-monkey.
- This was the first useage on television, but the term was already used 'on the street'.
- Classical Movie Vampire
- Collective Groan: "Mom!"
- Cool vs. Awesome: Slayer vs. the Dark Prince
- Count Obvious: Dracula has just been Punched Across the Room by Buffy.
Dracula: You are resisting.
Buffy: Looks like.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Willow's long way of saying "yes".
Giles: Willow, um... you mustn't repeat what I'm about to say. Especially not to Buffy.
Giles: You promise?
Willow: Oh, god. Well, I guess. Now that I know there's something to know, I can't not know, just because I'm afraid somebody'll know I know, you know?
Giles: Did that mean yes?
- Did Mom Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: Dracula approaches Joyce in her art gallery, just to get her to invite him to her house.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength: Buffy slays the football at the beach.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: Xander compares Drac's Vampire Vords to the Count in Sesame Street until Buffy informs him that he really is talking to Dracula. Xander immediately Cower Powers behind Buffy.
- Dramatic Wind / Hot Wind: Drac's "music video wind".
- Evolving Credits: Dawn is not shown in the opening credits of the first episode, she only appears from the second oneís on.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Buffy fights Dracula.
- Expecting Someone Taller
Xander: He totally looked shorter in person.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Dracula owes Spike £11. The Expanded Universe explains this as being the cost of a copy of Bram Stoker's Dracula that Spike wanted autographed — Drac tossed it in the fireplace.
- Foo Fu
Willow: (gestures at fire) Ignis incende. (logs burst into flame.)
Buffy: Willow, check you out! Witch-fu.
- Foreshadowing: Riley's jealousy over Buffy's attraction to vampires. Willow's use of magic for everyday purposes.
- The tension between Riley and Spike continues over the season especially after Spike falls in love with Buffy.
- Xander's rant about no longer being the Butt Monkey — this season he starts making a serious attempt to get a life, starting in "The Replacement".
- Buffy's inability to resist Dracula is mirrored by her inability to resist Spike's sexual advances (due to lack of self esteem rather than mind control) in the Season 6 episode "Dead Things" — Spike even uses the same "Stop me" taunt.
- Dracula tells Buffy that her "power is rooted in darkness". Buffy discovers the origin of the Slayer's power in the Season 7 episode "Get It Done".
- Game Face: Averted with Dracula, who has perpetual fangs but no Nightmare Face. It's not explained why he's different than other vampires, but perhaps his "showy gypsy tricks" include a Glamour. And it might just be the circumstance of how he became a vampire.
- Genre Savvy
(Dracula starts reforming again)
Buffy: I am standing right here! (He disapates)
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Buffy, Anya, and Willow discuss how "sexy" Dracula is and Buffy mentions his "Dark, penetrating" eyes. When Buffy decides to hold off on killing him until they have more information...
Riley: You're not just saying that because of those "dark, penetrating" eyes of his... Are you?
Buffy: No! His eyes were — there were — there was NO penetration! Cross my heart.
- Girl on Girl Is Hot: Xander is more than willing to listen to Willow's secret, especially if it's a naughty one involving her and Tara.
- Geographic Flexibility: Spoofed
Riley: I've lived here for two years. You know what I've never noticed?
Riley: Big honkin' castle.
- Gilligan Cut: Buffy assures her mother that slaying is "a total drag". Cut to Buffy in her Red Leather Pants of Death enthusiastically slaying a vampire.
- Go Through Me / Threat Backfire
Xander: Nobody harms my Master. You want him, you come through me.
Riley: (knocks him out) Okey-dokey.
- Grammar Nazi
Xander: Here she is, Master. She Who You Most Desire...sorry, Whom.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Riley and Xander. Tara gives Willow the hairy eyeball when she goes on too much about Dracula as well.
- Haunted Castle: Giles and Riley suddenly notice one, just after the gang found out that Drac doesn't hang out in the usual dank, dark crypts. Given that no-one's noticed it before (or since), it's possible Drac used his powers to teleport it to Sunnydale.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Buffy wears the Red Leather Pants of Death when hunting vampires, but after being bitten changes into the Pink Leather Pants of Enthrallment.
- Hemo Erotic
- Hollywood Torches
Buffy: A guy like you should think about going electric. Seriously.
- Hypnotic Eyes: Dracula has hypnotic blue eyes that can enthrall even Buffy.
- I Resemble That Remark: Joyce sighs over the difficulties in dating when you're a single mother. "Sometimes you just feel like giving up men altogether." Willow and Tara exchange a sly grin.
- Ironic Echo: Buffy tries to reassure Riley that she's not attracted to Dracula (or transferring her feelings for Angel) by saying, "I swear to you, Iím your girl, and Iím gonna stay that way." But Buffy had already told Angel (in "Enemies") that she'll always be his girl; sure enough the Buffy/Riley relationship will eventually break up because Riley suspects Buffy's attraction to vampires like Angel and Dracula is stronger than her attraction to him.
- I Want You to Meet an Old Friend of Mine: Dracula is played by Sarah Michelle Gellar's old flame from All My Children, Rudolf Martin.
- Jedi Mind Trick
- Just a Stupid Accent: Lampshaded repeatedly.
- Kiss of the Vampire: Very much played for its sexuality.
- Last-Second Word Swap: A rare version where adding syllables makes it ruder.
Xander: As if even that's enough to stop the Unholy Master! (everyone stares at him) ...bater.
Xander: I think you're drawing a lot of crazy conclusions about the Unholy Prince. (everybody looks at him funny again.) ...bator.
- Literary Work of Magic: Bram Stoker's Dracula was based on the Buffyverse Dracula, who is something of a publicity hound.
- Meaningful Echo: "You think you know who you are, what's to come. You haven't even begun." (from "Restless")
- Mook Horror Show: We see a vampire running madly through a graveyard... and then we realize he's running for his (un)life. From Buffy.
- More than Mind Control: Dracula finds Angel's bite scar on Buffy's neck.
Dracula: Unworthy. He let you go. But the embrace, his bite, you remember.
Don't fight. I can feel your hunger. (bites her — Buffy moans)
- Mr. Exposition: Oddly enough, Dracula explains the siring method. When the siree, while still alive, tastes the sire's blood, he/she feels the power and wants it. After death, this what causes the new vampire to be born.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Spike complains that Dracula's taste for publicity has taught the entire world how to kill vampires. Dracula makes Buffy drink from his blood to reveal her true dark nature as the Vampire Slayer.
- Not Brainwashed: Spoofed
Dracula: I knew you'd come.
Buffy: Why? Because I'm under your thrall? (suddenly pulls out her stake) Well, guess again, pal.
Dracula: Put the stake down.
Buffy: OK. (instantly puts it down, then looks at her hand in surprise) Right. That... was not... you. (sounding unconvinced) I did that. I did that because ... I wanted to. (looks around nervously) Maybe I should rethink that thrall thing. (whimpers a little)
- Not Herself: Buffy turns down Riley's offer of a jelly donut. Xander however still retains his wise-cracking, even while enthralled by Big D.
Dracula: I will make you an Immortal, a child of darkness...
Xander: ...Yes, yes, I will serve you, Your Excellent Spookiness. Or Master, I'll just stick with "Master."
- Once is Not Enough: Dracula starts to reform again (after being staked twice) when Buffy tells him she's still here. After that Drac gives up and goes home.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Dracula's stock powers (hypnosis, shapeshifting, teleportation, invulnerability) actually make him the strongest vamp in the Buffyverse. Spike claims it's all "showy gypsy stuff". He likewise doesn't get a bumpy face when he vamps.
- Paint It Black: Drac in black. He's a dark's only man.
- Public Domain Character: Dracula, of course. The writers were originally going to use a Captain Ersatz, until Joss Whedon suggested to them that they may as well use the real deal as there was nothing stopping them.
Marti Noxon: I kept saying, 'Like Dracula'" - until Joss Whedon said, "Why not Dracula? He's public domain.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: "How do you like my darkness now?"
- The Renfield: Xander, right down to the urge to eat spiders.
- Respawn On The Spot: Dracula.
- Silence, You Fool!
Xander: Come on, Puffy Shirt! Pucker on up, 'cause you can kiss your pale ass good—
Xander: Yes Master.
- The Slayers Who Say Squee: Buffy's initial reaction to Dracula is like a girl with a Celeb Crush. She's delighted that he has actually heard of her.
- So You Were Saying...?: Giles invites Buffy over to tell her that he's going back to England because he no longer feels needed. But before he can say anything, she starts to tell him how she discovered that she still has much to learn about being a Slayer and wants him to be his Watcher again.
Buffy: So, I just talked all over you. You had something to say too.
Giles: No. It was... it was nothing.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Justified due to Drac's ability to do his "poof thing"
- Vampire Invitation: Dracula gets Joyce to invite him home for coffee, thereby gaining access to Buffy.
- Versus Title
- Voluntary Shapeshifting
- Wham Line
Joyce: Buffy? If you're going out why don't you take your sister with you?
Buffy and Dawn: MOM!
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The Three Sisters (or as they're usually known, Dracula's brides). We only see them when Giles falls into their chambers. They get chased away by Riley and are never brought up again.
- Your Cheating Heart: Buffy sneaks out of Riley's bed to get in a little slaying on the side. Later Riley reacts to Dracula's bite like a jealous boyfriend whose girl is sporting someone else's hickey.
- Your Vampires Suck: Much fun is had at Dracula's expense, except that he actually is more powerful than most vampires, even if Spike dismisses his mind control, shapeshifting, and apparent unkillability as "a few Gypsy tricks". The trope is played straight earlier when Buffy mentions meeting more than a few pasty-faced, pimply vamps who called themselves "Lestat".