Romanov: Is it done, Yuri?
No, Comrade Premier.. It has only begun.
"No... it's only just begun!"
Exactly What It Says on the Tin
. This is stock phrase, used and abused and tortured to the point of cliche, possibly the most obvious comeback to someone telling you that your plans/goals/dreams are over. Over? No, they're not. They've only just begun.
Sometimes used by villains before revealing the next stage of their plans, sometimes used by heroes before standing back up and dealing a righteous ass-whooping, sometimes used by other people for... ...stuff.
Compare The War Has Just Begun
, My Death Is Just the Beginning
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Sailor Moon episode "The Purity Chalice"
Mimet: You've brought great disgrace to the honorable Bad Behavior Bureau. You must turn in your skull keychain and Fire Buster immediately.
Eugeal: Not a chance! The fight has only just begun, you back-stabbing weasel!
- Yubisaki Milk Tea: Touko and Yuki are playing basketball:
Touko: Basket number 8! You have zero! That was a "Drive fake"! Should we better stop?
Yuki: No, not yet! I first begin now!
(Note: the quote is from the german translation. The english is a bit different.)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes #24:
Jeyra Entinn: You won this round, Legionnaries... But this is only the beginning...!
Cosmic Boy: Wow. Is there some super-villain book of quotes they all work off of?
- Die Hard 2:
Trudeau: McClane, is this their final response?
John McClane: No. This is only the beginning.
- The evil hotel room Fourteen Oh Eight mocks Enslin through the radio by playing The Carpenters' "We've Only Just Begun" repeatedly.
- Last lines of Star Wars II: Attack Of The Clones:
Obi-Wan: I have to admit that without the clones, it would have not been a victory.
Yoda: Victory? Victory you say? Master Obi-Wan, not victory. The shroud of the dark side has fallen. Begun the Clone War has.
- The advertisements for American Chopper Senior vs. Junior start with "What looked like the end...was only the beginning!"
- In the last episode of the first season of Robin of Sherwood, the Sheriff managed to surround and kill Robin Hood ... and then the new Robin Hood showed up to rescue some of Robin's men. Dismayed, the Sheriff said, "Just as I'd begun to believe it was all over. It's not over. It'll never be over."
- 24 season 7 has Jonas Hodges saying something along these lines as he gets arrested, because he was only one member of a much larger group of villains.
- In The Aquabats! Super Show! episode "Cobraman!":
MC Bat Commander: The game is over!
Carl: Oh, but the game has only just begun! Ha ha ha, (flips some switches) TECHNOLOGY!
- Babylon Five S 04 E 06 Into The Fire:
Morden: You just made a mistake, Londo! Even if my associates lose this war they have allies! They'll make sure Centauri Prime pays the price for what you've done here today!.
Mollari: What I have done?! Oh, Mr. Morden, I have not even started with you yet.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Drusilla (as a seer) appears to foretell the coming of Angelus this way.
Angel: This can't go on, Drusilla. It's gotta end.
Drusilla: Oh, no, my pet. This is just the beginning.
- Tara in a dream, and Dracula in the following episode, both tell Buffy, "You think you know who you are, what's to come. You haven't even begun", referring to what trials she'll undergo and what she'll find out about herself.
- Person of Interest.
German Intelligence Officer: I don't know who you are or how you know to be here, but this is just the beginning.
Reese: Then this is going to be a long day.
- Batman: Arkham Asylum has Batman and the Joker going back and forth with this.
Batman: It's over, Joker.
- Gradius's final bosses are this and total liars about it.
- DE BADDLE HAS JUSD BEGUNNN!
- The END Begins End of God of War 2, but the battle for Olympus has just begun
- Used in Resident Evil 5:
Chris: It's over, Wesker!
Wesker: Over? I'm just getting started! (infects himself with Uroboros)
- From Halo
Cortana: Halo, it's finished...
Master Chief: No. I think we're just getting started.
- From Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2, when the Soviets have shut down the entire US Missile Command.
Romanov: Is it done, Yuri?
Yuri: No, Comrade Premier, it has only begun.
- Vlad says this in Max Payne 2, after Alfred Woden protests that the killing has gone on long enough.
- Sean Devlin says this at the end of The Saboteur.
Veronique: Is it over?
Sean: No, it's not over. I'm just getting started.
- "It has only begun" is a recurring phrase, bordering on Arc Words, in Mortal Kombat.
- Wanda says this to Parson in Erfworld, at the end of Book 1.
- In Teen Titans, Robin and Slade have this exchange at one point.
- Zira says this to Simba in The Lion King 2.
Simba: Take him and get out. We're finished here.
Zira: Oh no, Simba. We have barely begun. (evil chuckle)
- In Anastasia, when Sophie refers to Anya and Dimitri's elopement as 'the perfect ending', the Empress corrects her, saying 'No, it's a perfect beginning.'
- Courage the Cowardly Dog: While trying to get their third brother back, one of the two Duck Brothers in "The Duck Brothers" exclaims "We have not yet begun to fight!".
- In Silverwing, when Goth got himself electrocuted
Marina: It's over, Shade.
Shade: (grimly) No, it's just begun.
- Cow and Chicken: In episode "Super Model Cow", the Red Guy made Cow a supermodel. However, her fame was short-lived and she was desperate enough to feel it again she agreed to sing at Red's "Milky Bar". After Chicken rescued her, she thought it was over but Chicken, as he watched a poster of his beak with the writing "Just Cluck It", said it was only the beginning.
- Samurai Jack: In Jack and the Lava Monster, Jack's opponent knocks him down, and pleads with him to fight as hard as he can.
Jack: "Do not worry. I have not yet begun to fight."
- Slight variant: At the Battle of Flamborough Head during the Revolutionary War, when Captain John Paul Jones was asked if he intended to surrender, his famous response was "I have not yet begun to fight!"
- Winston Churchill said "Now this is not the end. This is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."