We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Recap: Angel S 01 E 08 I Will Remember You
Buffy turns up in Los Angeles to express her annoyance over Angel's crossover cameo, but when Angel is unexpectedly turned into a human the Star-Crossed Lovers
realise they can now have a life together.
- Achilles' Heel: The Mohra demon can be killed by breaking the jewel on its forehead.
- Alien Blood: The Mohra demon has green glowing blood.
- Almost Kiss: Angel and Buffy in the sewer; they kill it themselves.
- Ancient Grome: The toga-clad "Oracles" dress in purple togas, albeit with bronze body paint.
- Bargain with Heaven
- Beautiful Dreamer: Doyle has come to warn Angel about the Mohra demon. Buffy is still asleep.
Doyle: "I think we should bring someone a little - supernatural."
Angel pulls a sweater over his head and looks where Doyle is looking.
Doyle: "Don't you want to wake the girl?"
Angel: (smiling) "Not for the world."
- Big Damn Kiss / Orbital Kiss: Buffy first discovers that Angel has become human again when he walks up to her in the daylight as Buffy is walking by the seashore and sweeps her into his arms for a passionate embrace.
- Blooper: When Angel tells Buffy time will be reversed and their day of perfect happiness together will be undone, Buffy starts crying. When Angel comforts her, David Boreanaz is clearly heard calling Sarah Michelle Gellar by her real name, instead of her character's name.
- Bloody Murder: Having blood that can remove the demonic aspect of an enemy is a good way to weaken a supernatural foe.
- Brick Joke: The peanut butter.
- Brought Down to Normal
- Comically Missing the Point: Angel walks in off the street in broad daylight.
Cordy: "Hey, you walked in the front door - from the street! You got..an umbrella!"
- Call Back
- Can't Stay Normal: After losing badly in a fight with a demon, Angel reverses time because he fears he won't be able to protect Buffy.
- Delicious Distraction
"Yeah. I'm mortal now. I have a mortal body. (Stares at where Cordy is standing)
And I'm so...hungry!" (Cordy jumps out of his way as he comes charging towards her) Cordelia:
"Look out, he's gonna eat— (Angel grabs one of the donuts on the little refrigerator behind Cordy and stuffs it in his mouth) everything in sight!
- Demon Hunters Do It On Desks
- Eek, a Mouse!!: Buffy jumps at the sight of a rat, in contradiction to her behaviour in "Welcome to the Hellmouth" — a sign that being around Angel is making her nervous.
- Erotic Eating: Our loving couple are shown in bed after sex, with Buffy sensuously eating chocolate and Lecherous Licking spilt ice cream off Angel's chest.
- Fantastic Fragility: The Mohra's regenerative blood ensures that he can never be permanently killed. Unless you smack the jewel in his forehead.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest
Cordy: "Where is the crabby scowl, the morbid gloom? (Turns to Doyle) This just means that it cut deeper then usual. Batten down the hatches, here comes Hurricane Buffy."
- Foreshadowing: For the Season 3 episode "Birthday"
Cordelia: “I'm good for exactly two things: international superstardom, or helping a vampire with a soul to rid the world of evil. That makes for a short but colorful resume.”
- Gilligan Cut
Doyle: You don't know what Buffy and Angel are doing down there.
Cordelia: They've got the forbidden love of all time. They've been apart for months. Now he's suddenly human. I'm sure they're down there just having tea and crackers.
(cut to Angel pouring himself some tea while Buffy munches on some crackers)
- Plus, there's the scene that references the title of the episode. Buffy is in tears, and swears she will never forget that day. Then the Elders press the Reset Button, and Buffy (along with everybody else except Angel) has forgotten everything that happened that day.
- A Handful for an Eye: Angel throws salt in the Mohra demon's eyes.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Humanity Ensues
- It's a Long Story: Averted as usual.
Angel: "It's complicated how this all happened, Buffy, you know? It's kind of a long story."
Buffy: "Your new sidekick had a vision, I was in it, you came to Sunnydale?"
Angel: "Okay, maybe not that long."
- Katanas Are Just Better / Super Window Jump
- Leave Your Quest Test
- Lets Wait Awhile: Averted — Angel suggests they take their relationship slow while he sorts out the implications of being human again. Buffy (with reluctance) agrees. One accidental moment of body contact later and they're frantically clearing the kitchen table to have passionate sex.
- Love Theme: The return of "Close Your Eyes", Buffy and Angel's theme.
- Mood Whiplash: From the light-hearted fun of "Pangs" to this Tear Jerker episode.
- Not Quite Dead: The Mohra demon can regenerate itself
- Not What It Looks Like: Angel's Interrupted Suicide — he just wanted the stake to prop a wobbly desk. Later Doyle and Cordy leave at the sound of Angel and Buffy fighting a demon because they assume it's Slap-Slap-Kiss behaviour. When they return to find the room trashed and dust on the floor, Cordy's first thought is that Buffy has dusted Angel; turns out Cordy was too lazy to sweep under the carpets.
- Required Spinoff Cross Over: Buffy visits Angel after the events of "Pangs".
- Relationship Reset Button
- Reset Button: An aversion in which the reset itself is the Tear Jerker.
- Ripple-Effect-Proof Memory: Only Angel remembers the original events, so he won't repeat them.
- Angel also knows to immediately break the jewel in the demon's forehead. Buffy is surprised he can defeat it so quickly but he reacts like "Eh, Mohra demons, see 'em before."
- Rule of Symbolism: The various references to time — Angel starts the episode by winding a clock, gives a watch as a gift to the Oracles, and breaks the clock when using it to kill the demon at the end.
- Sarcasm Mode
Buffy: "You know it's a good thing I didn't fantasize about you turning human only about 10 zillion times, because today would have been a real let down.
- Saying Too Much
Angel: "I feel weird.'
Angel: "No, I meant I felt weird from the demon's blood. (Looks down at his hand) It's powerful."
Buffy: "Oh. Okay. Let's just rewind Buffy's little outburst and pretend it never happened."
- Scenery Censor / Hand or Object Underwear: Naked!Angel fetching strawberries and chocolate chip ice cream for Buffy.
- So Was X: Followng Angel's (temporary) reversion to human, Cordy and Doyle suddenly find themselves out of work. Doyle is upbeat:
Doyle: I'll finally be free to go out and make me own mark on the world.
Cordelia: We had a cat that used to do that.
- Talk About That Thing: Averted, since we're dealing with Cordelia.
Cordy: "Well, this is Doyle. And he gets visions of people in trouble."
Doyle: "Nice to make your—"
Cordy: (takes his arm and pulls him out of the office) "And this is us leaving you two alone."
- Tempting Fate
Doyle: "Well, what ever happens from here on out, at least I will be able to say good-bye to them bone-crushing, head-wrenching, mind-numbing visions." (Doyle's head smacks into the bar as he has a vision)
- Violently Protective Girlfriend
Buffy: "You hurt my boyfriend."
Buffy: "You got that right."
- Walk In Chime In: For once it's not Angel who does this.
Buffy: (from the door) "A little upset. (Angel looks at her, his mouth dropping open) Wouldn’t you?"
- Weapon of Choice: Buffy is carrying a stake while stalking the demon with Angel "Because I know how to use it. Besides it's a lot handier than your fighting ax." Of course another reason could be that Buffy knows she'll need a stake if she can't resist having sex with Angel.
- Yank the Dog's Chain
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: When Angel returns from the Oracle's realm, Doyle assumes he's been thrown back by the portal and never left.
- You Owe Me
Angel: "We're keeping score now?"