"Betrayed by my caretaker and deprived of my most basic needs! Must I, L, the Greatest detective in the World, resort to consorting with the enemy?"Kira, Sweetheart
(also available here
) by reaperlight is a Death Note Light/L, L/Light
fanfic. After getting the results back from L's latest doctor's visit, Watari decides that from now on L must eat only healthy food. The poor sugar junkie does not take this well at all and when his Kira suspect brings cake to work all hell breaks loose...
- Alternate Universe Fic: For Want Of L's Sugar...
- Ambiguous Disorder: L
- Amnesiac Dissonance: Light is horrified when he remembers that he booby trapped his desk with a bomb.
- Amnesiacs Are Innocent: Exploited.
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?:
Misa: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY LIGHT?! LET ME OUT OR I'LL SCREAM!
L: Misa Amane...
Misa: You're going to rape me too now, aren't you?
L: No Misa, unlike someone I could name I've never forced myself on anyone... especially not the mentally challenged...
Misa: Wha—So now you're calling me stupid?!
And even if you were willing and could give consent... I don't find you the least bit attractive.
The blonde made a miffed, disbelieving sound as if she found the notion that someone could resist her buxom charms utterly inconceivable.
Misa: Wha—why the hell not?!
- Badass Adorable: L. Light regards his "adorable" nemesis with much confusion.
- Badass Grandpa: Watari
- Baddie Flattery: L manages to makes an awkward moment between him and Light even more awkward when he pays Light a compliment. Not wanting to be rude or lose whatever convoluted mind game L is playing Light responds by complimenting him back.
- Batman Gambit: Light plans on disposing of his cake by putting it front of L but to his genuine surprise his plan is foiled when L doesn't even touch it.
- Becoming the Mask: Light and L's act of being so close to each other, later there is Misa pretending to be Yamamoto's girlfriend.
- Berserk Button: Light's, naturally, is injustice and he flips out when he learns someone abused L and that someone is still alive.
- For Misa it's seeing Light with anyone other than her.
- Beta Couple: Misa and Yamamoto.
- Big "NO!": Misa upon seeing Light and L together.
- Blue and Orange Morality: L finds Shinigami morality to be quite perplexing.
- Break the Haughty: Light gets hit with this hard.
- Brought Down to Badass: Light might not be Kira anymore but he's received training from L to better protect himself when acting as his agent.
- Bullying a Dragon: When Misa attacks L and Kira with a knife.
- The Charmer: After L accidentally comes onto Light, Light tries to manipulate him in his favor by using the same lines on L that always work for him on the girls. Hilarity Ensues.
- Chess with Death: L gets Ryuk hooked on EverQuest.
- Cleaning Up Romantic Loose Ends: Misa ends up with Yamamoto in the end.
- Closet Key: L to Light:
This was L's fault. What with that long dark hair and slender frame and the way he'd curled his toes cutely into chair cushions as he'd lick the frosting off a doughnut with that talented tongue of his that tasted so nice...
That was just it. L was... girly and confusing. His habits arousing protective instincts even in his enemies... Yeah, that must be it! Well played, Ryuuga. Well played.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Light reacts to getting stabbed in a similar way to getting shot in canon.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Watari controls L by using his fear of The Punishment. The Punishment is socks.
- The Corruption: Rem tells L that the notebook is this.
- Cosmic Plaything: Light and Misa, and later L.
- Crack Fic
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: no one pays attention to Misa's mad ranting:
Misa: No! No! No! They need to die! We need to die! Light! How could you do this to me! Kira! Kira! REM! Kill them! Kill them, please?
- Dark and Troubled Past: L, though he refuses to talk about it at one point he was kidnapped by Beyond Birthday.
- Dating Catwoman: Kira and L.
- A Day In The Lime Light: Mogi to the rescue!
- Deadpan Snarker: L, Light, Watari, and Dr. House.
- Death Seeker: Light thinks that if he was Kira he deserves to die. L knows this and so is very careful to hide the truth from him.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Both Light and L. Later Misa with Yamamoto.
- Deconstruction Fic: Say, what do you think would happen if Misa kept her original characterization of being Light's dangerous Stalker and a Yandere Serial Killer and didn't suddenly become a brainless, obedient moron the moment she met Light?
- Demonic Possession: Rem claims the Notebooks work like this. L decides to go with it, regardless of validity, because it's a most convenient excuse not to punish Light and Misa.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: L falls victim to this when he's thinking how no one knows Light like he does.
- Discreet Dining Disposal: when Light is given the chocolate cake he considers trying to feed it to Ryuk but seeing as he has no opportunity to do so he figures he'll just put it in front of L and it will disappear.
- Discriminate and Switch: After Light began dating L, his relationship with his father became strained. Light assumed that his father was being homophobic. It's actually because he knows that Light was Kira.
- Dismissed Gender: yes, it is indeed possible for women to hurt men and yes, it is possible for men to get eating disorders.
- The Ditz: Misa
- Ditzy Genius: L and Light For one, both are intelligent enough to know that their dietary habits are destructive. L just doesn't care. Light has deluded themselves into thinking everything's okay.
- Doctor's Orders: Yes even L and Kira must obey them.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Light to L after L accidentally came onto him.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: L to Light after Light discovers L's scars which he received courtesy of Beyond Birthday. Light to L after getting stabbed in the hand.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Subverted. This fic takes the threat of a Yandere Serial Killer girl seriously. (Played straight by some readers who thought Light was being sissy and weak because he couldn't somehow gain some sort of magic mind control over Misa, who in this fic is his crazy stalker he's never met before, while she was stabbing him.)
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Elephant in the Living Room: that Light was Kira. Everyone who's in the know has been sworn to secrecy.
- Emo: L and Light.
- The End... Or Is It??
- Erotic Eating: L is affected by watching Light eat sweets.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Papas: Lampshaded when a character refers to Light as a "daddy's boy." This is also true of L and Watari's relationship.
- Everybody Lives
- Everyone Can See It:
Rem: I take it that Kira means something to you, human.
L: Yes... Kira is the one I am sworn to defeat.
Rem: No. He means more to you than that. You're just like Misa.
Rem: When she thinks of him it makes her cheeks go all red too.
- Face Death with Dignity:
This shocking announcement came to him while he was still floating above all thanks to the painkillers. Light reasoned that was why he was feeling so numb about what should have been quite shocking news.
Well at least this way he kept his dignity and hadn’t started bawling about it. But then the doctor was saying he wasn’t going to die right away— Light supposed then that he still had plenty of time to work up to screaming and crying. Joy.
- Fix Fic
- For Want of a Nail: Because of L's sugar deprivation, Misa sees Light and L together-and that derails everything.
- Force Feeding: Watari forces L to eat his unsweetened oatmeal. Later L forces Light to eat sugary treats.
- Forceful Kiss: L on Light after L's been driven insane from lack of sugar.
- Forgets to Eat: Light.
- Friendly Enemy: Light and L. Light reminds L it isn't safe for him to be out and about because of the Second Kira and later saves him from the Second Kira. Afterwards L decides it would be for the best if Kira wasn't turned over to Interpol.
- Genius Sweet Tooth: L of course.
- A God Am I: Light of course, also their math teacher.
- Ghost Memory: Light's vital signs spike when L tells him he's caught and executed Kira.
- Hates Being Touched: L, but he momentarily forgets this when he becomes desperate for a sugar fix.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Lampshaded.
- Heel-Face Brainwashing: Lampshaded by L when he worries over the moral dilemma presented when he is given the option of erasing Light's memories without his knowledge. Kira is the Light that L knows and L worries that by erasing his memories it would mean he is in essence killing his friend. Ultimately L decides that it was the notebook that did the brainwashing and that Light would be the same without the notebook—just minus being a Serial Killer, and all he's doing is taking corrective measures to return Light to his "default state."
- Helpless Good Side: L doesn't quite know what to do with Light after he turns back into an innocent teenager without a malicious bone in his body.
- How We Got Here: After the attack, L has a chat with the clearly memory-wiped Light. Then we have a multichapter Flash Back detailing the maneuvering L had to go through to get to that point.
- Hurt/Comfort Fic
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: Light gets very upset when he discovers that someone hurt and tried to kill L.
- I Can't Believe It's Not Heroin: L goes to extreme lengths to get his sugar fix.
- I Have Many Names: while some people collect stamps L collects aliases.
- I Was Having Such a Nice Dream: L fell asleep during math class and he dreamt he died and went to Candy Land.
- Immortal Immaturity:
L: But I don't understand. If you care for Misa and knew that it would affect her like this then why give her the notebook?
Rem: I had forgotten this.
L: You forgot?
Rem: I am very old, human. I have no doubt forgotten more than you have ever learned in your brief lifetime.
- Impaled Palm: Misa stabs Light in the hand.
- Improvised Weapon: Misa laments that she left her Death Note at home and so she attacks L with a knife.
- Insane Equals Violent: Misa upon seeing Light and L together. In canon Misa did say that if she saw Light with anyone else she'd kill them.
- Intoxication Ensues: Light has a weird reaction to painkillers.
- Irritation Is the Sincerest Form of Flattery: Misa attempts to capture Light's attention by dressing up as L, much to L's horror.
- Jerkass Realization: After Light takes a knife for him, L realizes he's been acting like a real jerk.
- Keeping Secrets Sucks: Poor Mr. Yagami.
- Kink Meme: This story was written for the Death Note Kink meme.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Misa and Light once their notebooks are destroyed.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Light is stabbed in the hand. Also because of his poor dietary habits he's developed heart problems.
- Lean and Mean: Light and Misa.
- Lighter and Softer
- Loss of Identity: L worries about how much of the Light he knows would be lost if he destroys the notebook.
- Love Epiphany: L realizes he has feelings for Light after he nearly loses him.
- Mama Bear: Rem for Misa.
- Manipulative Bastard: L decides to use Light's newfound infatuation with him to sneak sweets, oh and work on the Kira case.
- Metaphorically True: Rem tells L that Misa and Light were possessed and corrupted by the notebook. Later L tells Light he's caught and executed Kira.
- Morality Pet: Sayu, Yumi Aizawa, and L to Light.
- Mouthful of Pi: Light and L in math class—and L thinks about how he would very much like some pie.
- Narcissist: Light. L quickly discovers that flattery gets him everywhere.
- Never Hurt an Innocent: Light's moral code, though he doesn't regard L or anyone trying to catch him as "innocent." Though this changes after Light learns that L was a victim.
- Noble Demon: Light.
- Not a Date: L asks Light out for coffee.
- Not So Stoic: L breaks down sobbing when Watari takes his candy away.
- Light screams and loses his shit after Misa rams a knife through his hand. In Light's defense, getting stabbed in the hand isn't fun.
- Note to Self: L records a message to himself before giving up the Death Note so that he'll remember all the pertinent details.
- Nothing Personal:
- Only a Flesh Wound: Averted. The author consulted a First Aid website and attempted to realistically show what to do and what to expect if you've been stabbed in the hand.
- OOC Is Serious Business: L breaks down sobbing when Watari takes his candy away.
- Operation Jealousy: Misa attempts to make Light jealous by dating his best friend Yamamoto.
- Our Vampires Are Different: After talking to Rem, L deduces that Shinigami are like vampires—they need to drop their notebooks, converting humans to create more Shinigami and they feed off human life.
- Overprotective Dad: Souichiro Yagami
- Papa Wolf: Light gets protective when he sees how badly someone hurt L.
- Perky Goth: Misa, of course.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Invoked, because L doesn't know the source of Kira's powers, when Kira is injured L fears that he'll flip out and kill everyone and so L invokes the Cooldown Hug.
- Pillow Pistol: Misa keeps her notebook hidden under her mattress.
- Please, I Will Do Anything!: L gets desperate for his sugar fix and starts making crazier promises to ensure Light's cooperation.
- Poor Communication Kills: Because Light brought cake to work L thinks Light is torturing him and L's response to this causes Light to think L is coming onto him...
- Pretentious Latin Motto: "Carpe saccharum" is L's motto.
- Prompt Fic: Written for the prompt: "Watari decides that from now on L must eat only healthy food."
- Properly Paranoid: L.
- Random Events Plot
- Real Men Hate Sugar: Light goes to ridiculous lengths to avoid eating sugar.
- Relatively Flimsy Excuse: In order to accompany Light to the hospital, L claims to be his brother.
- Room Full of Crazy: Misa's apartment.
- Sadist Show: It's a comedy based on Death Note.
- Samaritan Syndrome: Light quickly establishes himself as a "Second L" taking on the huge caseload L ignores in favor of the "more interesting cases."
- Scars Are Forever: Beyond left his mark on L and Light gets a scar from getting stabbed in the hand.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: The taskforce burned the notebook, Light no longer remembers being Kira but Light still has his watch.
- Seamless Spontaneous Lie: Rem tells L that it's all her fault that Misa is a murderer and they manage to convince the taskforce that neither Light or Misa are at fault because they were possessed.
- Serious Business: For L it's his sugar. For Light it's maintaining his perfect image. For Misa making Light HERS.
- Shirt Less Scene: L rips up his shirt to make bandages for Light.
- Shout-Out: "Got Milk?", L dreams of Candy Land, Misa shops at Hot Topic, "An Excellent Day For An Exorcism" is a quote from The Exorcist, Rem's line "The conversion has already begun" is a Shout Out to Disturbed, L declares "I am the law," L gets Ryuk hooked on EverQuest, Dr. House is Light's attending physician, L pays for Light's surgery with his L-Credit Card, Light and L watch Black Butler, and the title of the last chapter, Sugarcoat, aside from being an Incredibly Lame Pun was inspired by the song by Breaking Benjamin. Also there's a couple of stealth ones: one to The Godfather ( even Bad Ass mafia hitmen know it's not fun getting stabbed in the hand). Another scene is inspired by an episode of Babylon 5 where the doctor restricts the crew from eating their favorite foods and they deal with it by trying to switch their plates around.
- "Shut Up" Kiss: L on Light.
- Single Issue Psychosis: Watari laments that because he didn't let L keep a stray kitten as a child he now wants to keep a mass murderer.
- Slash Fic: It's Light/L, L/Light.
- Smug Smiler: Light.
- Soap Opera Disease: If L keeps gorging on sugar... he will die. If Light keeps starving himself... he will die.
- The Sociopath: Misa and Light
- Spanner in the Works: Misa to Light's and L's plans.
- Spit Take: L's reaction to finding no sweetener in his oatmeal.
- Spoiled Brat: L
- Spy Speak: L and Light take to passing notes in class and invent a new code by which to communicate.
- Stalker with a Crush: Misa to Light and Light to L. Pre-story there was Beyond to L.
- Stalker Shrine: Misa has one for Kira/Light.
- Stalking Is Funny If Its Female After Male: Averted, Misa's obsession with Light is taken much more seriously than it is in canon.
- Stepford Smiler: Light. Also Misa.
- Super OCD: Light.
- Taking the Bullet: When Misa tries to kill L in a jealous rage, Light gets between Misa and L.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted, L gets Misa psychiatric help.
- This Page Will Self-Destruct: L sends himself a self-destructing message to remember that little thing he knew he'd forget.
- Title Drop: In Misa's Stalker Shrine to Kira:
Girlie, heart-shaped stickers stuck to the glass of the picture proclaiming Light to be a "darling" and a "sweetheart."
- The Trope without a Title: "The Punishment"
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Misa ultimately hooks up with Yamamoto.
- Unreliable Narrator: When Rem tells L how the notebook works she is no doubt exaggerating the effects of the notebook on humans since she wants to save Misa.
- Victim of the Week: L was this in his Back Story and this happens to Light over the course of the story.
- Villainous Breakdown: Misa when she realizes she's hurt Light. And Light after he's been stabbed in the hand and Ryuk looks like he’s strongly considering writing his name down.
- Weight Woe: Light applies his Knight Templar-ish Perfectionism to himself as well as on the world at large. He's anorexic as a result.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Watari to L.
Watari: No, something else has been troubling me. The way you've been toying with that young man's feelings—and don't try to say it's for the case because Wammy's House is not a brothel and that's not how I trained you to solve cases!
- When He Smiles: L has a very cute smile, so does innocent!Light.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Light considers poisoning L at one point but decides it's too risky because only with the notebook could he be absolutely sure that L would die.
- World War III: L prevented it once and he worries it will start if he turns Kira over to Interpol.
- Worthy Opponent: At the start of the story Kira and L regard each other this way.
- Would Hit a Girl: L kicks Misa across the room after she tries to kill them.
- Yandere: Misa for Light.
- Yaoi Guys: Light and L.
- You Didn't Ask: This is Ryuk's response when L asks him why he didn’t warn them about Light's exploding desk drawer.
- You Keep Using That Word:
Misa: YOU... PERVERT!
You're really attached to that word, aren't you? Very uncreative. You might want to invest in a thesaurus... no, before you ask it's not a kind of dinosaur.
- You Remind Me Of A: L reflects that Light reminds him of A, his original successor, who committed suicide.