(An incomplete list) of characters to be found in the television series The Good Wife
Alicia Florrick (née Cavanaugh)
Played by: Julianna Margulies
The titular good wife
of the series. Formerly a litigation lawyer until she married Peter and had their kids. After Peter is involved in a public sex scandal and faces the threat of prison, she goes back to her former career to support herself and their children. After being away from the job so long she has to start as a junior and make her way up the ladder from scratch.
Tropes displayed by Alicia Florrick:
Played by: Chris Noth
Tropes displayed by Peter Florrick:
- The Atoner: Trying to make up for what he did both as a public, political figure and as a husband.
- Papa Wolf: Which makes goes well with Alicia's attitude towards their kids.
- Your Cheating Heart: Cheated on his wife with prostitutes.
Played by: Christine Baranski
Tropes displayed by Diane Lockhart:
- Badass In Charge: Notable in that, like Will, Diane is a named partner of Lockhart/Gardner and a talented, tenacious lawyer, as opposed to many of the equity partners who are content to let lower-ranked members of the firm do their work and just collect a paycheck.
- Only Sane Man: Routinely has to be above it all when dealing with either the defendants or her coworkers. Because of this, it's allowed her to see Bond attempting to oust her, Will and Alicia willing, and Alicia, Cary, and the fourth years leaving to start their own firm. Also, given Will's own brushes with the wrong side of the courtroom, she serves as the voice of reason for when his ideas can cause problems for the firm, or for him.
- Opposites Attract: Dates ultra-conservative weapons expert Kurt McVeigh.
- Which leads to marriage, as of Season 5.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Will.
- Specs of Awesome
Played by: Josh Charles
Tropes displayed by Will Gardner
Played by: Archie Panjabi
Tropes displayed by Kalinda Sharma:
Played by: Matt Czuchry
Tropes displayed by Cary Agos:
Tropes displayed by Eli Gold:
- Berserk Button/Hair-Trigger Temper: "I hate AMATEURS!"
- Don't do anything to hurt Eli's campaign if you don't want him to spit coffee and throw books or strangle you.
- Fake American: Alan Cumming is SCOTTISH.
- Homoerotic Subtext: While Eli is not gay, his actor, Alan Cumming, is openly bisexual, and has been married to a man since 2007.
- Informed Ability: Eli Gold is supposedly "the best" political manager in the business, but in early season 2 he misses huge problems or plays into a lot of serious screw-ups.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Manipulative Bastard
- Pet the Dog: They start showing up right and left in season four. Respects Alicia's decision about the interview, snaps at the interviewer when she gets rude, shows deep guilt about prying into Alicia's private life and explicitly says that he's protecting Alicia, not just Peter, from malicious rumors.
Played by: Titus Welliver
Tropes displayed by Glen Childs:
Wendy Scott Carr
Played by: Anika Noni Rose
Tropes displayed by Wendy Scott Carr: