Your show has been a smash success! You're on your 5th or 6th season and your star decides he's had enough ... and decides to end the series. But you don't want to end just yet! Maybe the producers want to milk the cash cow a little longer. Maybe you can create ... an After Show.
An After Show is a very specific combination of Spinoff
. It is a clear attempt to extend the life of a show by renaming it. To be an After Show, it must 1) come after the end of the original series, and 2) star as regular cast members at least one member who could have been considered a star on the original, or feature the same setting as the original show. For example ... The Ropers
is just a spin-off of Three's Company
, but Three's a Crowd
is an After Show.
The best way to illustrate an After Show is if it can be placed in this statement.... ________ is an attempt to do _______ without ___________ .
Named after the show AfterMASH
, one of the most famous After Shows
If, after the star leaves, the execs decide to carry on under the same
brand, then said brand has instituted Final Season Casting
. Also compare Post Script Season
, which occurs when a series with season-long arcs
, whereas this variant applies primarily to shows that are Episodic in nature.
Compare From the Ashes
. See also Revival
, which is similar to this trope but tends to come much later after the end of the original show. A subtrope of Sequel Series
. Not to be confused with the sort of aftershow
that airs directly after each episode with discussion (eg. Talking Dead
- The Adventures of Superpup is an attempt to do The Adventures of Superman without Superman.
- Archie Bunker's Place is an attempt to do All in the Family without the Family.
- AfterMASH is an attempt to do M*A*S*H without Hawkeye, BJ, Charles, Hot Lips, and war.
- Golden Palace is an attempt to do The Golden Girls without Dorothy.
- The Legacy Of Reginald Perrin is an attempt to do The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin without Reginald Perrin (due to Actor Existence Failure).
- Mayberry RFD is an attempt to do The Andy Griffith Show without Andy Griffith.
- Pete and Gladys is an attempt to do December Bride without the December bride.
- So Random is an attempt to do Sonny With A Chance without Sonny. Unusual in that So Random was originally a sketch comedy that existed In-Universe, before becoming an actual show.
- The New WKRP In Cincinatti is an attempt to do WKRP in Cincinnati without the younger office workers.
- Ozzie's Girls is an attempt to do The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet without the Nelson Brothers.
- Sanford is an attempt to do Sanford and Son without the Son.
- Sanford Arms is an attempt to do Sanford and Son without Sanford or Son.
- Three's a Crowd is an attempt to do Three's Company without Janet and Terri/Crissy/Cindy.
- Genshiken Nidaime is an attempt to do Genshiken with the male cast reduced to occasional cameo appearances.
- Grace and Favour, known as Are You Being Served Again in the States, is an attempt to do Are You Being Served? without the department store (traded in for a bed and breakfast), Mr. Lucas or Mr. Spooner, or either of the elderly Grace Brothers the store was named for.
- It Sticks Out Half a Mile was a radio-show attempt at making Dad's Army without Captain Mainwaring or most of the platoon. Actually, Arthur Lowe was supposed to voice his character in the show but he died after making one episode, so they built up John LeMesurier's Arthur Wilson as the main character. His death a year later effectively ended all work on the program.
- Degrassi: The Next Generation is an attempt to do Degrassi Junior High/Degrassi High without the original students except Snake, Spike, Caitlin, Joey, and Mr. Raditch (who was the principal in the first four seasons)
- Degrassi is an attempt to do Degrassi: The Next Generation without Emma, Manny, Spinner, Liberty, and Jay. Though still considered the same show, the name was officially shortened around season 10.
- Fernwood Tonight is an attempt to do Mary Hartman Mary Hartman without Mary as a talk show.
- Cory in the House is an attempt to do That's So Raven without Raven, Chelsie, Eddie, and Mrs. Baxter.
- The Hogan Family is an attempt to do Valerie without Valerie (due to the main character being killed off).
- Although, technically, that's not really an After Show so much as a simple re-titling of the original series.
- The Suite Life on Deck is an attempt to do The Suite Life of Zack and Cody without Carey and Maddie.
- Newhart was at one point to have been an After Show to The Bob Newhart Show, with Suzanne Pleshette again being Bob's wife Emily, with them running the Inn. However, when you consider how the show ended...
- The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy and Life With Lucy were attempts to do I Love Lucy without Ricky.
- What's Happening Now is What's Happening!! with all the characters grown up one now married and without Mrs Thomas.
- Jonas L.A. is an attempt to do Jonas without their parents and Arizona setting.
- Wall Street Week with Fortune is an attempt to do Wall Street Week without Louis Rukeyser.
- Major Crimes is an attempt to do The Closer without Kyra Sedgwick or J.K. Simmons.
- The George Burns Show is an attempt to do The Burns And Allen Show without Gracie Allen.
- Kate Plus 8 is an attempt to do Jon And Kate Plus Eight without Jon.
- Solo One is an attempt to do Matlock Police without the main cast.
- Mc Millan is an attempt to do McMillan and Wife without the wife.
- The Dumping Ground is an attempt to do The Story Of Tracy Beaker/Tracy Beaker Returns without Tracy Beaker.
- Lewis is an attempt to do Inspector Morse without Inspector Morse.
- Sabrina's Secret Life is an attempt to do Sabrina: The Animated Series with the characters aged up by two years and without Gem, Chloe, Quigley, or Pi.
- Rare movie version: The Bourne Legacy is an attempt to do The Bourne Trilogy without Jason Bourne or almost any of the other important characters.