open/close all folders
- "Now, what excuse—I mean, legitimate reason is there for a party today?"
- Ambiguously Bi: She has a crush on Skull Boy, but she also has a good deal of affection towards Iris (which borders on Romantic Two-Girl Friendship at times) and Misery.
- Ambiguously Human: Never confirmed if she's the Token Human or a living doll.
- Catch-Phrase: "Look on the bright side."
- Creepy Child: In a sense, she's a 6 year old girl who has Gothic and creepy tastes and interests.
- Cheerful Child: Despite the above, she's rather chipper and optimistic.
- Every Proper Lady Should Curtsey: Does this when complimented.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Outside of the musical episode, she, in her own words, can't carry a tune in a bucket.
- The Magic Touch: Not elaborated on, and may be a coincidence, but a number of objects made by Ruby have inexplicably come to life in some way. To name few there's Mr. Buns, a snowman, and we can only assume she was the one who sewed the patchwork heart Venus swallowed.
- Meaningful Name: Rubies are usually red, so her name is likely a nod to her red hair.
- Nice Girl: She's kind and willingly helpful to all of her friends.
- The Noseless: Played with. It's not noticeable outright, but she is able to sneeze, and have something to put a clothespin on to block bad smells.
- Perky Goth: Has gothic interests but is very cheerful.
- The Pollyanna: It takes a lot to make her angry. In fact, the only time she was ever angry was in "Bad Hare Day" after she found out Bunny was stealing from them and trying to make Doom look bad.
- Also, at the end of "Gloomer Rumor" she became extremely annoyed and exasperated when Frank and Len continued to believe she was dead.
- Ship Tease: With Skullboy. In particular the "Fun with Paper" or "You Are What You Eat" segments.
- Team Mom
- Youthful Freckles
- * violin chord*
- Amplified Animal Aptitude: She's not a Talking Animal like Poe and Scaredy, but she's just as smart (if not more so) than they are.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Has black fur and is one of the good guys.
- Doomy Dooms of Doom: And the fact that her name is "Doom" should clue you in.
- Cute Kitten: A black and absolutely adorable cat.
- Narrative Shapeshifting: She uses her extremely thin, flexible and strong tail to make shapes ? not strictly shapeshifting, but it does alter her appearance after a fashion. Of course, only Ruby can understand her.
- No Mouth: Her mouth is absent most of the time, only appearing when she needs to make certain expressions. This is less the case in Season 2.
- The Speechless: Every sound she makes is a violin chord.
- Silent Snarker/Cats Are Snarkers: The faces she makes suggests snarky thoughts.
- "Hey, Ruby, I'm bummed! I wanted to do some aerial routines with Squig, but it's kind of hard without windshield wipers...!"
- Ambiguously Gay: As said above, she and Ruby's relationship borders on Romantic Two-Girl Friendship at times. Unlike Ruby, however, Iris doesn't have any love interests, male or otherwise, that we know of.
- Catchphrase: "I'm good!"
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Gets injured a lot while adventuring.
- Cute Monster Girl: A cyclops who is energetic and good-looking.
- Cyclops: Only drawn with one eye.
- The Flapper: Iris appears as this during Poe's version of the story in "Venus de Gloomsville."
- Fluffy Tamer: If Squig and Venus are any indication.
- Genki Girl: She loves adventure and rarely seems to hold still for very long.
- Innocently Insensitive: While she isn't mean, her hyperactivity and playful nature can sometimes annoy the other house mates.
- Meaningful Name: In the anatomy of eyes, an iris can refer to the colored part surrounding the pupil. Being a cyclops, Iris's most distinctive feature is her solitary eye.
- Plucky Girl: In Ruby's own words, she has an adventurous spirit.
- "My cousin was struck by lightning. Twice.""Well, it couldn't possibly happen to you, too. What are the chances?"[Pause for lightning-and-simultaneous-thunder.]"Fairly good! It's genetic. The electrical current is drawn to the high lead content in our blood, and then BOOM! ...people use you to charge their batteries."
- Adaptational Attractiveness: She was a lot uglier in the original merchandise.
- Ambiguously Human: See Our Banshees Are Louder.
- Amusing Injuries: Misery is regularly hit by lightning, only to say "ow" and come back 10 seconds later in perfect shape.
- Big, Screwed-Up Family: Has a large family who all have the same knack for bad luck. They usually avoid each other but when they have their family reunion in one episode, Ruby does too good of a job helping them get along that they decide to stay. They only leave again when their combined bad luck almost destroys the town with a volcano.
- Butt-Monkey: Misery frequently gets hit by lightning.
- Canada, Eh?: Speaks with a mild Canadian accent.
- Cannot Convey Sarcasm: Never comes up on the show, but with her deadpan voice it's sometimes hard to tell whether she's being sarcastic or sincere.
- Catch-Phrase: "Ow."
- The Chew Toy: All the stuff that happens to her is played for comedy.
- Chewing the Scenery: Emily Hampshire occasionally gets really hammy in her role as Misery:"I'm also the Queen of Disasters, by the way. And the Princess. And the Baroness! And the Countess! And the Viscountess! THE EMPRESS!!"
- Composite Character: She appears to be a mix of Jealousy and the original Misery from the books.
- The Eeyore: Though she does cheer up as the show goes on.
- Her Codename Was Mary Sue: In her shadow puppet shows where she makes herself a queen.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Lightning hits Misery so often that it's become a defining character trait. Aside from the blackened clothes, it seems to be nothing more than a minor inconvenience to her.
- Lethal Chef: "It's an old family recipe. I've adjusted it to reduce the damage to the dwelling."
- Ocular Gushers: Played with. She always has tears running from her eyes whether she's sad or not.
- Our Banshees Are Louder: Many fans believe that Misery and her exclusively female relatives are banshees. And her wail sure is terrifying enough.
- The Pig Pen: Though she doesn't look it. In "Forget Me Not" she has a bath and apparently her last one was so long ago she forgot what it was like.
- Plague of Good Fortune: Every Friday the 13th everyone in Misery's family has extraordinarily good luck and their normally extraordinarily bad luck is spread to those around them.
- Rapunzel Hair: Reaches all the way down to her feet.
- Scary Teeth: Her teeth are crooked with a yellowish tint.
- Sneeze of Doom: She is prone to these. She can sneeze hard enough to de-rail a train.
- Stock Underwear: Whenever Misery is hanging upside down in a human chain, her dress falls over her head revealing that she wears bloomers.
- When She Smiles: Although this may be a case of YMMV, you're not likely to find someone whose heart doesn't melt at the sight of Misery happy for a change.
- "I'm an artist, Ruby! It's in my bones!"
- Adorkable: He's endearingly awkward at times.
- Dem Bones: A skeleton.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: All he wants is to find what he's important for.
- Emo Teen: Even if he doesn't have the attitude (Debatable) he definitely dresses the part.
- Gene Hunting: He tries to find out who his family was, and where we came from.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Justified in a way. He is so curious about where he came from, he's devoted himself in trying out different talents and carrers. We could list them all if we wanted to.
- Lamarck Was Right: Basically his entire philosophy.
- Nice Guy: Second only to Ruby as the show's nicest character.
- Ship Tease: With Ruby. He is not even remotely subtle about this. Ruby is even less so.
Frank & Len
- "Say your amp's not working. What's the first thing you do?""My amp's not busted.""Exactly. You deny it.""I'm tellin' you, it's not busted!""That's denial.""Hey, did you bust my amp?!"
- Aloof Big Brother: Frank sees himself as this, at least.
- Big Eater: Their appetites are limitless.
- Catch-Phrase: Frank has "You're just not getting it, Len."
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Len
- Completely Missing the Point: "You're just not getting it, Len."
- Depending on the Writer: Frank is either far smarter than Len and is the one who scoffs at Len's ditzy moments, or is just as stupid as his brother.
- Genius Ditz: They are incredible singers, guitar players, and songwriters. They also once tried to use their guitar as a surfboard. It ended about as well as you'd expect.
- Guyliner: Len.
- Mix-and-Match Man: Implied since they have stitching running down their chest and both halves have different skin colors.
- Multiple Head Case: A two-headed monster.
- The Power of Rock: They can cook beans with it.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: While Len has green skin, he seems to have red oni tendencies... but Frank is blue oni through and through.
- Shipper on Deck: The episode "Quadrogloomia" suggests they might be this for Skull Boy and Ruby.
- Sibling Seniority Squabble: Taken farther than usual— Frank has claimed to be older, but...
- Those Two Guys: There's literally no way to see them apart, since they are a two-headed monster.
- Big Eater: He's often seen next to empty trays of food or stuffed to bursting.
- Bunnies for Cuteness: A rabbit plush toy.
- Companion Cube: A rabbit toy and friend of the main characters.
- Living Toys: Mr. Buns is a strange example. The other characters treat him as if he's alive (except for Misery), and he seems to do things when he's not on-screen... but whenever he's on-screen, he's just a lifeless sock-bunny. In the most extreme case, he's fencing with Poe from just off-screen, only for the sword to drop the moment he's visible in the frame.
- Offscreen Teleportation: See above.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He can be arrogant and pretentious, but he's a good guy and a good friend.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: He doesn't know as much as he says he does.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: See the above.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Poe is quite egotistical.
- The Munchausen: He is always yammering about how he's been in bands and had amazing adventures.
- Old Windbag: A good way to put someone to sleep is to get him talking.
- Talking Animal: A talking crow.
- Toothy Bird: Sometimes drawn with teeth.
- Acrophobic Bird: He's a bat, but he is afraid of flying nonetheless.
- Adorkable: Scaredy is very shy.
- Big "NO!": He does this every once in a while.
- Bollywood Nerd: Well, he's certainly got the right accent...
- Butt-Monkey: Lots of bad things happen to him.
- Cute Little Fangs: Scaredy has noticeable fangs, but they are small and cute.
- Hidden Depths: Is gifted at playing drums and the accordion
- Ironic Fear: He's a bat that's afraid of heights and the dark.
- Large Ham: At times he can be one.
- Lovable Coward: Why do you think he's called "Scaredy Bat"?
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: His eyes are constantly drawn this way.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter
- Shrinking Violet: Sort of...
- Talking Animal: A talking bat.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Very often seen eating mosquitoes out of a bag.
- Invisible to Normals: At first, only cats, psychics and crazy street preachers could see him. He had to successfully scare someone in order to be visible.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: He had to earn his intangibility and visibility to living people.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he loves to scare people, he's generally a decent guy.
- The Prankster: He loves pranking everyone. Especially Scaredy.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Much to his chagrin.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: He aspires to be one...
- Nightmare Retardant: ...with little success.
Edgar and Allan
- The Big Guy: They both share this.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: Both have this dynamic with Poe.
- Dumb Muscle: They both seem to be this since they took Skull Boy seriously when he told them to lock him up. They also didn't slow down when flying towards the glass house.
- Fat and Skinny: And this dynamic with each other
- Satellite Character: They are practically never seen outside of Poe's presence.
- Silent Snarker: Will often exchange looks or roll their eyes in reaction to something Poe says.
- The Speechless: They never say a word.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: See the above.
- Those Two Guys: Hardly seen not together.
- Toothy Birds: In certain scenes they will be depicted with teeth.
Mr. White and Mr. White
- Evil Mentors: To Boo Boo in regards to scaring.
- Guttural Growler: One of them has this kind of voice, while the other's is very high-pitched and nasal, to the point where he becomes…
- The Hyena: …when laughing.
- The Mafia: They act like mafiosos.
- Nice Hat: One of them wears a kick-ass fedora.
- One Steve Limit: Averted.
- Just a Stupid Accent: She speaks with a French accent due to the record Iris used to teach her to speak was dictated by a French man.
- Man-Eating Plant: Although she doesn't eat people.
- Meaningful Name: Partly overlaps with A Dog Named "Dog" given the kind of plant she is, Venus is also the name of the Roman goddess of love, and she's shown to be a hopeless romantic in the episode "Venus de Gloomsville"
- Pastimes Prove Personality: She's a writer.
- Took a Level in Kindness: After eating a heart that Skull Boy made for his robot dad, she went from a amoral eating machine to a sweet and friendly plant.
- Circus of Fear: He has a G-rated one which he builds and designs rides for which, of course, Ruby and friends love.
- Alliterative Family: All their names start with "M".
- All Just a Dream: It's speculated that a few of the Misery relatives that appeared in the reunion episode might have been figments of her own imagination.
- An Ice Person: Two, actually. Malady and Malaise will cause a localized ice age if they stay close for too long.
- Big "WHY?!": Morose is prone to doing this.
- Morose has "Why? WHY?!"
- Migraine has "I'm queen of the world!"
- Cheerful Child: The triplets, ironic considering the rest of the family.
- Emo Teen: Morose. "Why? WHY?!"
- Geisha: Mildew.
- Hulk Speak: Mayhem.
- Ill Girl: Malady.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Nearly all of them. For all of the disasters they've been through, it's a wonder they're even alive at all!
- Large Ham: Migraine. "I'M QUEEN OF THE WORLD!!!"
- Meaningful Name: Malady (she's always sick) and Malaise (she's always sleepy)
- Motor Mouth: Malady will talk for hours if asked about her cast.
- Older Than They Look: Several members of the family might be this. Mayhem apparently remembers the dinosaurs!
Skele-T and the Skele-Tunes
- Dem Bones: All of them are skeletons.
- Jive Turkey: Skele-T, to the point where people don't understand what he's saying.
- Large Ham: Skele-T.
- Left the Background Music On: A Running Gag in "Last Train To Gloomsville" Part 1 and 2 is them being responsible for this, to the annoyance of everyone else.[Ominous Pipe Organ plays during a dramatic moment]Ruby: I don't think that's helping.Skele-T: Sorry. Just can't resist.
- A Dog Named "Dog": A bunny named "Bunny".
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: He acts sweet and innocent around Ruby and co. but is a thief and is cruel to Doom.
- Bunnies for Cuteness: Subverted. Bunny is a complete jerk.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: He talks like this as part of his act.
- The Fake Cutie: Bunny is adorable but he uses it to his advantage to get away with causing trouble.
- Hair-Raising Hare: What he turns out to be. Bunny is a rabbit who is a bully and a theif.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: He has red eyes and steals things.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Subverted. He's cute, but he's mean and a criminal.