Frank & Len
- "Now, what excuse—I mean, legitimate reason is there for a party today?"
- Ambiguously Human: Never confirmed if she's the Token Human or a living doll.
- Catch Phrase: "Look on the bright side."
- Creepy Child: In a sense, she's a 6 year old girl who has Gothic and creepy tastes and interests.
- Cheerful Child: Despite the above, she's rather chipper and optimistic.
- Every Proper Lady Should Curtsey: Does this when complimented.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Outside of the musical episode, she, in her own words, can't carry a tune in a bucket.
- The Magic Touch: Not elaborated on, and may be a coincidence, but a number of objects made by Ruby have inexplicably come to life in some way. To name few there's Mr. Buns, a snowman, and we can only assume she was the one who sewed the patchwork heart Venus swallowed.
- Nice Girl: She's kind and willingly helpful to all of her friends.
- The Noseless: Played with. It's not noticeable outright, but she is able to sneeze, and have something to put a clothespin on to block bad smells.
- The Pollyanna: It takes a lot to make her angry. In fact, the only time she was ever angry was in "Bad Hare Day" after she found out Bunny was stealing from them and trying to make Doom look bad.
- Also, at the end of "Gloomer Rumor" she became extremely annoyed and exasperated when Frank and Len continued to believe she was dead.
- Ship Tease: With Skullboy. In particular the "Fun with Paper" or "You Are What You Eat" segments.
- * violin chord*
- Amplified Animal Aptitude: She's not a Talking Animal like Poe and Scaredy, but she's just as smart (if not more so) than they are.
- Narrative Shapeshifting: She uses her extremely thin, flexible and strong tail to make shapes ? not strictly shapeshifting, but it does alter her appearance after a fashion. Of course, only Ruby can understand her.
- No Mouth: Her mouth is absent most of the time, only appearing when she needs to make certain expressions. This is less the case in Season 2.
- The Speechless: Every sound she makes is a violin chord.
- "Hey, Ruby, I'm bummed! I wanted to do some aerial routines with Squig, but it's kind of hard without windshield wipers...!"
- Catchphrase: "I'm good!"
- The Flapper: Iris appears as this during Poe's version of the story in "Venus de Gloomsville."
- Fluffy Tamer: If Squig and Venus are any indication.
- Genki Girl: She loves adventure and rarely seems to hold still for very long.
- Innocently Insensitive: While she isn't mean, her hyperactivity and playful nature can sometimes annoy the other house mates.
- Plucky Girl: In Ruby's own words, she has an adventurous spirit.
- "My cousin was struck by lightning. Twice.""Well, it couldn't possibly happen to you, too. What are the chances?"[Pause for lightning-and-simultaneous-thunder.]"Fairly good! It's genetic. The electrical current is drawn to the high lead content in our blood, and then BOOM! ...people use you to charge their batteries."
- Adaptational Attractiveness: She was a lot uglier in the original merchandise.
- Ambiguously Human: See Our Banshees Are Louder.
- Amusing Injuries: Misery is regularly hit by lightning, only to say "ow" and come back 10 seconds later in perfect shape.
- Cannot Convey Sarcasm: Never comes up on the show, but with her deadpan voice it's sometimes hard to tell whether she's being sarcastic or sincere.
- Catch Phrase: "Ow."
- Chewing the Scenery: Emily Hampshire occasionally gets really hammy in her role as Misery:"I'm also the Queen of Disasters, by the way. And the Princess. And the Baroness! And the Countess! And the Viscountess! THE EMPRESS!!"
- Composite Character: She appears to be a mix of Jealousy and the original Misery from the books.
- The Eeyore: Though she does cheer up as the show goes on.
- Her Codename Was Mary Sue: In her shadow puppet shows.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Lightning hits Misery so often that it's become a defining character trait. Aside from the blackened clothes, it seems to be nothing more than a minor inconvenience to her.
- Lethal Chef: "It's an old family recipe. I've adjusted it to reduce the damage to the dwelling."
- Ocular Gushers: Played with. She always has tears running from her eyes whether she's sad or not.
- Our Banshees Are Louder: Many fans believe that Misery and her exclusively female relatives are banshees. And her wail sure is terrifying enough.
- The Pig Pen: Though she doesn't look it. In "Forget Me Not" she has a bath and apparently her last one was so long ago she forgot what it was like.
- Plague of Good Fortune: Every Friday the 13th everyone in Misery's family has extraordinarily good luck and their normally extraordinarily bad luck is spread to those around them.
- Scary Teeth: Her teeth are crooked with a yellowish tint.
- Sneezeof Doom: She is prone to these. She can sneeze hard enough to de-rail a train
- Stock Underwear: Whenever Misery is hanging upside down in a human chain, her dress falls over her head revealing that she wears bloomers.
- When She Smiles: Although this may be a case of YMMV, you're not likely to find someone whose heart doesn't melt at the sight of Misery happy for a change
- "I'm an artist, Ruby! It's in my bones!"
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Justified in a way. He is so curious about where he came from, he's devoted himself in trying out different talents and carrers. We could list them all if we wanted to.
- Lamarck Was Right: Basically his entire philosophy.
- Ship Tease: With Ruby. He is not even remotely subtle about this. Ruby is even less so.
Frank & Len
- "Say your amp's not working. What's the first thing you do?""My amp's not busted.""Exactly. You deny it.""I'm tellin' you, it's not busted!""That's denial.""Hey, did you bust my amp?!"
- Aloof Big Brother: Frank sees himself as this, at least.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Len
- Completely Missing the Point: "You're just not getting it, Len."
- Depending on the Writer: Frank is either far smarter than Len and is the one who scoffs at Len's ditzy moments, or is just as stupid as his brother.
- Genius Ditz: They are incredible singers, guitar players, and songwriters. They also once tried to use their guitar as a surfboard. It ended about as well as you'd expect.
- Guyliner: Len.
- Mix-and-Match Man: Implied since they have stitching running down their chest and both halves have different skin colors.
- The Power of Rock: They can cook beans with it.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: While Len has green skin, he seems to have red oni tendencies... but Frank is blue oni through and through.
- Sibling Seniority Squabble: Taken farther than usual— Frank has claimed to be older, but...
- Big Eater: He's often seen next to empty trays of food or stuffed to bursting.
- Companion Cube
- Living Toys: Mr. Buns is a strange example. The other characters treat him as if he's alive (except for Misery), and he seems to do things when he's not on-screen... but whenever he's on-screen, he's just a lifeless sock-bunny. In the most extreme case, he's fencing with Poe from just off-screen, only for the sword to drop the moment he's visible in the frame.
- Offscreen Teleportation: See above.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He can be arrogant and pretentious, but he's a good guy and a good friend.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: See the above.
- The Munchausen: He is always yammering about how he's been in bands and had amazing adventures.
- Old Windbag: A good way to put someone to sleep is to get him talking.
- Big "NO!": He does this every once in a while.
- Bollywood Nerd: Well, he's certainly got the right accent...
- Trademark Favorite Food: Very often seen eating mosquitoes out of a bag.
- Invisible to Normals: At first, only cats, psychics and crazy street preachers could see him. He had to successfully scare someone in order to be visible.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: He had to earn his intangibility and visibility to living people.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he loves to scare people, he's generally a decent guy.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Much to his chagrin.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: He aspires to be one...
- Nightmare Retardant: ...with little success.
Edgar and Allan
Mr. White and Mr. White
Skele-T and the Skele-Tunes
- The Big Guy: They both share this.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: Both have this dynamic with Poe.
- Dumb Muscle: They both seem to be this since they took Skull Boy seriously when he told them to lock him up. They also didn't slow down when flying towards the glass house.
- Fat and Skinny: And this dynamic with each other
- Satellite Character: They are practically never seen outside of Poe's presence.
- Silent Snarker: Will often exchange looks or roll their eyes in reaction to something Poe says.
- The Speechless: They never say a word.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: See the above.
Mr. White and Mr. White
- Evil Mentors: To Boo Boo in regards to scaring.
- Guttural Growler: One of them has this kind of voice, while the other's is very high-pitched and nasal, to the point where he becomes…
- The Hyena: …when laughing.
- The Mafia: They act like mafiosos.
- Nice Hat: One of them wears a kick-ass fedora.
- One Steve Limit: Averted.
- Pocket Dimension: They seem to reside in one that only Boo Boo can get to.
- Sinister Shades: Both of them wear pairs of glasses that give off this vibe.
- Cool Pet: To Iris.
- Giant Flyer: Iris uses him as transport.
- Just a Stupid Accent: She speaks with a French accent due to the record Iris used to teach her to speak was dictated by a French man.
- Man-Eating Plant: Although she doesn't eat people.
- Pastimes Prove Personality: She's a writer.
- Took a Level in Kindness: After eating a heart that Skull Boy made for his robot dad, she went from a amoral eating machine to a sweet and friendly plant.
- Circus of Fear: He has a G-rated one which he builds and designs rides for which, of course, Ruby and friends love.
- Head Pet: His pet frog, Socrates.
- Mad Scientist: He has the mannerisms of one, but he's a nice guy.
- Mistaken for Murderer: By Poe in his debut episode.
- Scotireland: He has this type of accent
- All Just a Dream: It's speculated that a few of the Misery relatives that appeared in the reunion episode might have been figments of her own imagination.
- An Ice Person: Two, actually. Malady and Malaise will cause a localized ice age if they stay close for too long.
- Cheerful Child: The triplets, ironic considering the rest of the family.
- Emo Teen: Morose. "Why? WHY?!"
- Geisha: Mildew.
- Hulk Speak: Mayhem.
- Ill Girl: Malady.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Nearly all of them. For all of the disasters they've been through, it's a wonder they're even alive at all!
- Large Ham: Migraine. "I'M QUEEN OF THE WORLD!!!"
- Meaningful Name: Malady (she's always sick) and Malaise (she's always sleepy)
- Motor Mouth: Malady will talk for hours if asked about her cast.
- Older Than They Look: Several members of the family might be this. Mayhem apparently remembers the dinosaurs!
- Plague of Good Fortune: Every Friday the 13th.
- The Scrappy: In-Universe, Migraine is this to the rest of the family.
- Sleepy Head: Malaise
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: Consistently!
- Walking Disaster Area: When they are all together for a prolonged period of time, they summon a volcano.
Skele-T and the Skele-Tunes
- Jive Turkey: Skele-T, to the point where people don't understand what he's saying.
- Large Ham: Skele-T.
- Satellite Character: The other band mates are never seen away from Skele-T.
- No Name Given: Only Skele-T is named.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: He acts sweet and innocent around Ruby and co. but is a thief and is cruel to Doom.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: He talks like this as part of his act.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Subverted. He's cute, but he's mean and a criminal.