Film: The Awakening
A 2011 British horror film starring Dominic West and Rebecca Hall and set in 1921, in the aftermath of World War One.
- Robert Mallory: There have been other sightings. The boys believe...
Florence Cathcart: Boys believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. I'm sure some of them even believe in God.
This movie provides examples of:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Florence is about to have one in the bath, but is interrupted.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Maud makes for an extremely sympathetic character, even when poisoning herself and Florence to reunite them with Tom in the afterlife.
- Ambiguous Ending: The movie ends without confirming whether or not Florence is dead; Apparently Tom helped her throw up the poison, but no vomit is seen, and though the headmaster only talks about one death, he makes a crude comment about Florence right as she's in his line of vision.
- Attempted Rape: By Edward, on Florence.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Maud poisons both Florence and herself
- Boarding School - the school is depicted fairly realistically for 1921 - discipline is strong and includes caning, but the teachers genuinely believe that they're acting in the pupils' interest. The haunting might make it a Boarding School of Horrors though...
- Coitus Ensues: There's tension between Florence and Robert, but their sex scene comes off as rather abrupt.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: At the end, one of the teachers mentions that he'd "read a study last term. Ladies' minds often can't cope with further education".
- Dirty Coward: Robert notes that Edward faked a limp in order to get out of the trenches.
- Disappeared Dad - Being set immediately after World War One, there's a reason why there aren't many middle-aged men picking up their children from school.
- Furo Scene: Both Florence and Robert each get one.
- Her Heart Will Go On: Florence lost her boyfriend in the war.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: At the end, Tom spirits himself up to Maud's room to retrieve something to make Florence sick and thus save her life.
- Jerk Ass: Edward.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Florence repressed the memories of her actual past.
- Nightmare Face: The ghost's.
- The Reveal: Florence and her parents never lived in Africa, they lived in the school when it was still a mansion and her father shot and killed her mother and half brother then himself. Tom his her father's bastard son, and he's been a ghost this whole time.
- Speech Impediment: Robert has one.
- Survivor Guilt: Malory feels responsible for the deaths of his squad.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran - McNair is one of these; he pushes the pupils so they'll be strong enough to face the horrors of war