open/close all folders
The Eight Protagonists
Voiced by: Yuu Urata (JP) / Yuri Lowenthal (EN)The 18-year-old son of Lord Rudolph, the master of Isthmus Keep. As his heir, Albert has endured strict training in swordcraft, academics and sorcery. He dreams of becoming a royal knight and upholding justice; however, he's very naive, and a bit insecure due to how his older sister Diana has consistently proven his better. He cannot be in the same party as her, due to plot reasons; the only exception is during Albert's first quest.
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: If he finds Mirsa's Armor, his appearance changes to..... attempt to look more knightlike.
- Doomed Hometown: No, my Beloved Fortress Chokepoint!
- Holy Hand Grenade: Always starts with a rank in Cosmology, regardless of whatever class you select for him when starting.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: His wing-cape... thing.
Voiced by: Yumiko Kobayashi (JP)The sixteen-year-old granddaughter of Nizam, and a member of the Taralian nomads. Carefree and energetic, she's very curious about other cultures, and doesn't understand why her grandfather seems so worried about the idea of leaving the Steppes of Galissa to go mingle.
- All Girls Like Ponies: And in this case, she actually gets to bring her horse with her.
- Braids, Beads and Buckskins: In Minstrel Song.
- Green Eyes: One of the 'obviously meant to be a caster' characters, though that's still left up for the player to decide.
- Leitmotif: 'Feel The Wind'
- The Pollyanna: Notably copes quite well with her problems, keeping her optimistic attitude no matter what.
- 10-Minute Retirement: A very brief one after discovering her home completely abandoned, where she leaves the party only until the leader walks over and gives her a brief pep-talk, helping her regain her usual pluck.
Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka (JP)The thirty-year-old captain of the Lady Luck. An experienced Pirate with a magnetic personality and a notorious reputation, as well as a rivalry with 'The Butcher'. As his ship's name and Leitmotif imply, he trusts in his own fortune, and makes his own luck.
- Free Sample Plot Coupon: He gets a hand on the Silver's Treasure Map during a quest. Letting him join the party gets you the map for free. Otherwise, you have to pay for it.
- Leitmotif: 'My Comrade-In-Arms, Lady Luck'
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Partly averted; his scenario opens with Hawke and his crew attacking ships — and even choosing whether or not to execute everyone onboard... but that's the only time you're allowed to do it.
Voiced by: Mika Doi (JP) / Megan Hollingshead (EN)A twenty-eight-year-old warrior from the frozen wasteland of Valhallaland. Incredibly strong, due to constantly hunting monsters and being personally trained by the chief of her village, Gato. Because of this, he assigns a very important task to her in her Quest Arc.
- Amazonian Beauty: Her in-game model.
- Leitmotif: 'Courage Becoming Resolve'
- Skeletons in the Coat Closet: Used in Minstrel Song to invoke Horny Vikings: wears a skull with massive horns on the back of her head.
Voiced by: Isshin Chiba (JP)An accomplished swordsman at a mere twenty-four-years old, he travels the world searching for treasure. Said to be unaffected by promises of riches or power, or appeals to morality: he does as he pleases, honing his mind and body through constant battle. If the situation calls for it, he won't hesitate to kill.
- Dull Surprise: "Hey. You guys. You're thieves, right." He sounds monotone no matter what his lines are supposed to be.
- Informed Ability: While people are mouthing off on how accomplished adventurer he is, Gray's stat growth isn't actually as strong compared to the other protagonists.
- Leitmotif: 'Absolute Freedom'
- The Stoic: To the point where in the extra cinematics after you beat all scenarios, he and Claudia, the other stoic, are the only ones whose conversation you can jeep track of, since they speak so little.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Silver-grayish, with blue and pink streaks.
Voiced by: Yuko Minaguchi (JP) / Karen Strassman (EN)A twenty-two-year-old ranger who was raised in the enchanted forest of Mazewood by the witch Eule. Her two best friends are the wolf Sylvan and the bear Brau.; prior to her story, she hasn't had much contact with other people. Of course, it turns out there's a reason she was adopted by Eule, though, of course, the old witch doesn't see fit to explain to her right away...
- Curtains Match the Window: has brown eyes paired with brown hair.
- Leitmotif: 'The Pure Guardian'
- Secret Legacy: As the princess of Melvir, raised by Eule to evade assassins who have been after her since infancy.
Voiced by: Hiroyuki Yoshino (JP)A twenty-year-old thief from the slums of South Estamir. Despite his tough life, Jamil is surprisingly optimistic, and completely determined to make things better for everyone he cares about, no matter how much he has to steal in the process. Dowd is his best friend, while Farah is his Love Interest.
- Disguised in Drag: To rescue Ferah from being sold as a slave, he disguises as a woman and sneaks into the prison.
- Leitmotif: 'I'll Take All The Treasure!'
- Pointy Ears: In Minstrel Song. Actually appears to be a fairly common trait in Kjaraht.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: If you let go of Dowd early on and rest as a certain Inn during the Assassin's Guild quest, an assassin ambushes Jamil in his sleep; after dealing the fatal blow, Jamil finds out that the assassin was a Brainwashed and Crazy Dowd; he then vows revenge against the Assassin's Guild, and in effect, Saruin.
- Self-Deprecating Humor: "The best thieves stay out of trouble. Then there's me..."
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: In Minstrel Song.
Voiced by: Emi Shinohara (JP)A beautiful twenty-six-year-old dancer who loves to entertain others. Part of a travelling troupe, she has a wagon of her very own. The Minstrel takes a particular interest in her...
Other Recruitable Characters
Voiced by: Liam O'Brien (EN)A mysterious wandering bard who shows up in every pub you visit: wherever you go, there he is. A talented singer and storyteller, he's always willing to relate some anecdote which just happens to hold some connection to whatever you've doing at the moment. Listen to his tales, and he's even willing to travel with you for a while... at least, until you reach the next pub...
- Permanently Missable Content: Clearing the Trial of Elore romoves him from pubs permanently. This also strips you an option to leave a party member.
Voiced by: Satsuki Yukino (JP) / Michelle Ruff (EN)Albert's older sister, and the fiancée of Prince Neidhart. A talented soldier, much to her overly traditional father's distress... though it's implied that's exactly what caused her to catch the Prince's eye. Can't be recruited into the same party as her brother, due to plot reasons.
- The Ace: Albert worries about her being a better fighter.
- Aloof Big Sister: It's mentioned that she has some trouble relating to Albert at times, and used to bully him to the point of making him cry.
Voiced by: Koichi Asuka (JP)The handsome, but rather aloof Prince of Rosalia. A talented and well-trained knight whom Albert idolizes, and is well-beloved in his own kingdom, despite his apparent detachement. Due to his father's illness, is more or less running Rosalia already.
- Guide Dang It!: Not just recruiting him, but preventing him from slaying the Dragon Knight.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: His abruptly showing up to slay the Dragon Knight.
- Secret Test of Character: He's one of the few people who ascended Mt. Scurve aside from another family member King Karl I.
Voiced by: Soichiro Hoshi (JP) / Liam O'Brien (EN)An idealistic young squire of the Knights of the Dominion; much like how Albert longs to impress his father and Prince Neidhart, Raphael works tirelessly to prove his worth to Lord Theodore and Lord Heinrich. Also hopelessly in love with Constance.
- Weakness Turns Her On: Said about him by one of the chattering women in Eugenstadt. "That's his charm! He just makes you want to take care of him!"
Voiced by: Kousuke Okano (JP)A Geckling from Walon Isle. Unlike most of his kin, he doesn't hold any resentment or hatred for humankind, and seeks to prove to others their kindness and compassion. Serves as Hawke's first mate.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: The best setup for him.
- Odd Friendship: With Hawke
Voiced by: Dai Matsumoto (JP)A paladin from Rosalia who starts out traveling with Gray in his scenario. A devoted follower of Mirsa, he wishes to follow in the ascended hero's footsteps and become a truly noble warrior. Regardless of whether you recruit/use him or not, he takes an interest in the Ice Sword...
- Holier Than Thou: Only if you have a lot of favor with the evil Gods; he insults your 'unclean hands' then.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: Killing him to get the Ice Sword. Also, one of the alternatives — recruiting him and taking him to Pyrix, forcing him to watch as the Elemental Lord destroys it — can feel like a real Kick the Dog moment just because he looks so depressed.
Voiced by: Yuko Goto (JP)A talented witch who also starts out traveling with Gray in his scenario. Thinks quite highly of herself, especially when it comes to her appearance; however, she's also a skilled spellcaster.
- Kill It with Fire: Her default magic is Pyrology
BrauBrau — A big brown bear, one of Claudia and Eule's animal companions. Incredibly powerful, he provides Claudia with raw muscle during the early parts of her scenario.
SylvanA beautiful white wolf, one of Claudia and Eule's animal companions. Swift and agile, she helps protect Claudia early on in her journey.
Voiced by: Takeshi Sasaki (JP)A knight of Melvir who works directly under Nelville's command. Friends with Monica, and also happens to be a friend of Gray's. In fact, he actually asks Gray to look after Claudia in both their scenarios, though whether he accepts is up to the player.
- Adorkable: In Claudia's playthrough.
- Distressed Dude: Claudia had to save him when he was surrounded by monsters in Mazewood. Then he has to be saved again later in another quest. Also he mentions that he was saved by Gray in their past together. Seems to be a normal thing for him to always get into trouble and having this butt saved. Makes you kind of wonder how he managed to become an Imperial Knight.
- Expy: Of Julian from Romancing SaGa 3.
- James Bondage: For a knight, he sure seems to get in trouble a fair amount...
Voiced by: Kousuke Okano (JP)The snooty treasurer of the Bafal Empire. Startlingly laid-back and unconcerned by things that you would assume he'd be worried about, like gold being stolen from the mine... Becomes recruitable after getting framed for embezzlement and placed under house arrest.
- Squishy Wizard: Fits the bill to a tee. Rather low defenses, coupled by an utter lack of a repertoire until you buy him spells.
Voiced by: Toshinobu Iida (JP)Jamil's best friend, despite their drastically different personalities. While not nearly as skilled a thief as Jamil, he does his best to keep up, though he worries constantly about what could happen if they actually got caught. In Jamil's scenario, ends up Brainwashed and Crazy for a Player Punch — one that's required if you want to make him recruitable.
Voiced by: Satsuki Yukino (JP)Jamil's might-be girlfriend. Pretty, but sharp-tongued, and much more capable of taking care of herself than one might think... though for some reason, you can't recruit her during Jamil's scenario.
- I Will Wait for You: At the end of Jamil's scenario, argues with her mother that she hasn't waited long enough for him to get back.
Voiced by: Daisuke Sakaguchi (JP)A loud, obnoxious member of Barbara's troupe. Starts out traveling with her; otherwise, he spends all his time in at the pub in Weston, at the very edge of the Frontier.
- Joke Character: His growth sucks in basically all areas. He's got high LP, though. A Stone Wall build is his only viable option, really.
Voiced by: Mikako Takahashi (JP)A legendary Pirate captain who is said to have humiliated a king, stolen the Opal Fatestone, and hidden it away with the rest of her treasures.
- Glass Cannon: Very low LP, amazing physical stats.
Red MageAn adventurer searching for the treasures hidden deep within Frosthold Fortress. Willing to join any travelers who wouldn't mind having his impressive magical talents on their side, but only for as long as it takes to find what he seeks within the Fortress...
- Adventurer Archaeologist
- The Mole: Like it wasn't obvious?
- Even more obvious in the SNES version as he shares the same sprite with the Minions themselves.
Voiced by: Kaho Kouda (JP)The guardian of the treasure of Frosthold Fortress: The Obsidian Sword.
- Blow You Away: She uses Aerology magic by default.
- Cool Big Sis: She's Flammar's older sister, Cool in a literal sense since she has the spell Snowstorm.
- Glasscannon: Lower LP than other characters, but has great stats.
- Guide Dang It!: You only have one chance to get her and that means you have to traverse Frosthold Fortress and defeat her with only 4 characters, you can only get her once.
- Human Pop Sicle: The Obsidian sword allowed her to go into a state of suspended animation.
- Single-Stroke Battle: In the Ultimania story, she takes out Spite in one swing with the Obsidian Sword
Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara (JP) / Kirk Thornton (EN)A wanderer who has lost his memories, with no clue who he is. Thus, sets out on a Quest for Identity with any hero who's willing to have him in their party. As it turns out, his identity is more complex than one might think, given how he's had a powerful soul trapped inside of him; which soul eventually comes to the forefront depends on the player's actions...
- Acquired Poison Immunity: Subverted. In his attempt to be guild leader of the Assassin's Guild, one must successfully perform a revival from death technique, to do so, he has been drinking small amounts of poison to build up tolerance to it. However it backfires as someone switched the poison for the test with one Darque was not resistant to.
- Gameplay-Guided Amnesia: Though a slightly different form, as how Darque's stats develop determine which memories he recovers...
- Guide Dang It!: Only shows up during a New Game+, and has to be unlocked for subsequent playthroughs first...
AldoraA powerful sorceress from a bygone age.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: When you complete the game with her in control of Darque's body it's assumed that she becomes a star like Mirsa's comrades.
- Curtains Match the Window: Orange Hair and Eyes.
- Guide Dang It!: You have to clear the main story with her as Darque's dominant personality.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Before you can unlock her she will be sealed inside Darque, she was first sealed in Purgatory.
- Split-Personality Takeover: Once Darque hits 50 INT, she becomes the dominant personality.
Dragon KnightA sword-wielding dragon straight out of the legends of the Dominion. Exclusive to Minstrel Song.
Other Important Characters
Lord RudolphMaster of Isthmus Keep, and Albert and Diana's father. Stern and highly traditional, he disapproves of Diana's training as a soldier and frequently implores her to act more ladylike (something she ignores), while also working to mold Albert into a more suitable heir.
Voiced by: Manta Yamamoto (JP)The baron of Mirsaburg and commander of the Knights of the Dominion. Known as the 'Sword of the Dominion', he laments the fact that the order no longer lives up to its once glorious reputation, and has taken it upon himself to singlehandedly restore that prestige. Unfortunately, he tends to go a bit over the top with this... Can temporarily join your party during one quest, but can't be recruited.
Voiced by: Junko Minagawa (JP)Theodore's beautiful daughter and Raphael's Love Interest. The two of them put the 'Romance' into Romancing SaGa. Thankfully a lot more sensible than her father.
Lord HeinrichThe baron of Eugenstadt and Lord Theodore's long-time friend and ally. Known as the 'Shield of the Dominion', he does his best to keep Theodore from going overboard in his attempts to reform the Knights of the Dominion. Also, Raphael's father.
Voiced by: Kaho Kouda (JP)A powerful and wise sorceress who rules over Weiserheim. She serves as the keeper of the Ruby of Fire, one of the Fatestones, and is willing to teach any who visit her the strongest Pyrology spells. Takes an immediate interest in the hero upon meeting them.
NizamChief of the Taralian nomads, and Aisha's grandfather. Raised Aisha himself after the tragic loss of her parents. Strangely, he isn't very interested in forging any connections with other lands, preferring to wander the Steppes of Galissa and have their small band keep to themselves...
Voiced by: Daisaku Shinohara (JP)The chief of the aptly named 'Gato's Village', Sif's hometown. Despite his age, is still regarded as a great warrior and wise leader.
Voiced by: Shouko Tsuda (JP)The witch of Mazewood, and Claudia's foster mother. Legends abound about her vast magical powers, and many of the Bafal Empire fear her wrath, avoiding her forest... just as she likes it, apparently. Cares for Claudia as she would her own daughter, though she keeps the truth of her origin hidden until the time is right.
Emperor Fel VIThe ruler of the Bafal Empire. Has dealt with several power plays and tragic losses in recent years; politics have been a harsh mistress, indeed, yet he has endured thus far...
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Claudia's biological father.
NelvilleCaptain of the Royal Guards of the Bafal Empire, and steadfastly loyal to his liege. Nelville has many agents scattered throughout the empire and is constantly on alert for plots against the king. He certainly isn't above hiring mercenaries to help protect the empire.
SofiaHead Priestess of the Temple of Elore in Melvir. Devoted to the Gods and to her emperor, serving as one of his most trusted advisors.
Voiced by: Yuko Goto (JP)A lovely young woman who lives in Loban.
WuhanThe potentate of Kjaraht. While very rich and quite powerful, he's also a bit short-sighted and greedy, and has plenty of exploitable weaknesses...
- Killed Off for Real: If you choose to execute him during 'Wuhan's Secret'.
Voiced by: Takaya Kuroda (JP)The viceroy of Tarmitta. Tries to encourage his people to take up the old ways once more, including the worship of their guardian deity Strom.
- Virgin Sacrifice: Part and parcel of the whole 'worshipping Strom' thing.
NatalyBarbara's friend and fellow entertainer. Barely mentioned in the game, but plays a much larger role in the Ultimania volumes. May have been intended as a playable character, only to get cut.
Voiced by: Kumiko Nishihara (JP)A pretty young woman devoted to the sea god Yucomb. Always appears walking along the coast or the docks, whenever she's out looking for help.
Voiced by: Junko Minagawa (JP)A mysterious, beautiful woman who appears haunted by some terrible tragedy. When she isn't telling everyone to leave her alone, she relates depressing tales of loss and despair. Eventually revealed to be the mortal form of Schirach, the Goddess of Darkness, kept in check by the Diamond Fatestone.
The Benevolent Gods
Voiced by: Masanobu Kariya (JP)Known as the father of the gods; became their leader after the war between the gods and the departure of the ancient ones. Saruin, Schirach and Death are all his siblings. Governs Light and Cosmology; his temple is in Melvir, capital of the Bafal Empire.
- God Was My Copilot: The true identity of The Minstrel.
Voiced by: Reiko Fujita (JP)Goddess of the Earth, and mother of most of the pantheon. Benevolent and nurturing, and governs Terrology. A temple devoted to her worship is located in Crystal City. Guided the ancestors of the Taralians and Terranites to Merholm during the war with the three evil gods, sheltering them in her underground temple so that they survived After the End. When Saruin stirs, guides the Taralians back to safety; the Terranites never left.
YucombGod of the seas, he governs Hydrology and Aerology, with temples dedicated to him in Melvir and South Estamir. Has a thing for Disproportionate Retribution; this is not a guy you want to anger.
- Berserk Button: The Nymph Statues.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Against the family who fished up the Nymph Statues and tried to sell them. Possibly Justified by the Backstory myth that implies the statues are three of his daughters.
CyrilGod of the wood. Reclusive, he has no temple, preferring instead the forest of Mazewood.
Voiced by: Tomomi Imai (JP)Cyril's lover and Goddess of beasts and the Silver Moon; like Cyril, she has no temple dedicated to her followers.
AmutGoddess of love who governs the power of Illusions, as well as some Bewitchery. Her temple is located in North Estamir. In fact, Wuhan hid his secret harem inside her temple.
MirsaHuman hero of the last war with Saruin. Sacrificed himself in the final battle, and was rewarded by Elore raising him to godhood. Now considered the patron of knights, paladins and heroes everywhere. In fact, the Knights of the Dominion were founded in his honor. Governs Bewitchery. A temple dedicated to him can be found in Crystal City.
The Forces of Evil
Voiced by: Jin Horikawa (JP)The Big Bad Evil God. Created all the monsters on Mardias, and led his siblings Death and Schirach against the others gods. Things didn't turn out quite the way he planned, and he ended up sealed away. Now, obviously, he wants out, and plans to go on a Roaring Rampage of Revenge the moment he gets loose.
- Self-Imposed Challenge: You can purposely make him stronger by offering him the Fatestones.
- Wangst: The first thing he do after he appears is complaining how he lose his power.
Voiced by: Keikou Sakai (JP)Saruin's older brother, and ruler of the Netherworld.
- Enemy Mine: Helps the hero seal away the Soulgutter when it gets loose by teaching them the proper rite.
- Human Sacrifice: Which can be performed by the player, sacrificing the second in your party line for power.
Voiced by: Junko Minagawa (JP)Sister of Saruin, Death and Elore. Was turned human by Elore following the last war, and had her powers sealed away by the Diamond of Light. Eventually became a Broken Bird, and gradually befriends the heroes, before one of Saruin's Minions tracks her down...
- Bonus Boss: And she definitely lives up to her reputation, her Intellect (INT) and Charisma (CHA) stats are maxed out and her attacks and magic can inflict status ailments or even instant death, also said attacks rely solely on INT and CHA
- Evil Makeover: It's positively Stripperiffic!
- Restraining Bolt: The Diamond Fatestone
- Weakened by the Light: In the Ultimania, it required the moonlight of both Eres and Amut to weaken Schirach so she could be subdued
Scorn, Strife and SpiteThree agents of Saruin working towards his revival. Interested in gathering the Fatestones for their own ends. Mainly, offering them up to their master to make him even stronger. Responsible for most of the problems currently plaguing Mardias.
SaivaThe Goddess of Destruction who fought Marda long ago.
Voiced by: Takahiro Yoshino (JP)A ruthless, bloodthirty pirate with a massive grudge against Hawke, due to their conflicting views on just how a pirate should live. Wants to raid and conquer various towns for treasure, and believes they have the numbers to pull off attacks on even the capitals of countries.
Voiced by: Koichi Asuka (JP)The highly ambitious Duke of Loban. As he is married to the Emperor's sister, Matilda, he would assume power if anything should ever happen to his majesty. Also has his eyes on Isthmus Keep, as his city is right on the keep's southern border.
- Obviously Evil: Just barely keeps up a pretense of civility; to their credit, it doesn't seem like anyone's really fooled, but politics make everything complicated.
EweiA Mad Scientist who resides on the aptly named Isle of Evil in search for Immortality. Never strays outside his tower, preferring to let any fools who dare venture near come to him. The Ultimania states that the storm was never lifted around the island and the old man he released had magic on him so that he acted as a key to break through the storm.
- Awesome Backpack: Ewei essentially carries a giant cooler on his back
- Fashionable Asymmetry: White on his left side and Black on his right side of his clothes.
- Gone Horribly Right: His test subjects were able to stop aging, but are in an irreversible coma as a side effect
- Professor Guinea Pig: The Ultimania states that he infused monster cells into himself to slow the aging process.