open/close all folders
Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer
Played By: Arnold SchwarzeneggerA former Green Beret and team leader.
- Badass Boast: One of the most famous boasts in film history."If it bleeds, we can kill it."
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: His eventual tactic for fighting the Predator.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: He's never seen again and the search of him by his brother was a major plot point on the comics.
- Clifftop Caterwauling: To attract the Predator for a one-on-one showdown.
- Crushing Handshake: Has a mutual one with Dillon, but he wins.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Against the guerillas early in the film.
- The Leader: Of his Five-Man Band.
- Majorly Awesome: He's a major, and he's an Arnold Schwarzenegger character. That should tell you everything.
- A Real Man Is a Killer: Disbelieves this."We're a rescue team: not assassins."
- Thousand-Yard Stare: By the end, he has one.
- Trap Master: How he takes on the Predator. Also ties into Beat Them at Their Own Game.
- Vine Swing: Dutch gets one, and it's fun.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: In the climax.
Played By: Carl WeathersA former teammate of Dutch and current CIA agent, sent along with Dutch's team.
- Agent Scully: Dillon doesn't believe the Predator is what the team say it is."You saying that Blain and Hawkins were killed by a fucking lizard? That's a bullshit psyche job. There's two to three men out there at the most. Fucking lizard."
- An Arm and a Leg: Gets his arm shot off by the Predator before he dies.
- Asshole Victim: A shady government agent who tricked his former best friend and his team into going on an assassination mission.
- Black Best Friend: Was this to Dutch before the events of the movie.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: A lighter case. His ulterior motive for accompanying the team is to use them to eliminate the guerillas under the context of a rescue mission.
- Fallen Hero: A former best friend of Dutch who had become a crooked, pencil-pushing and deceitful CIA agent.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
- The Lancer
- Crushing Handshake: With Dutch, which he loses.
- Redemption Equals Death: Despite everything, he and Dutch do seem to make their peace with each other before he goes off to challenge the Predator.
- Senseless Sacrifice: When he goes to fight the Predator with Mac. Lampshaded by Dutch before he does so.Dutch: You can't win this one Dillon.Dillon: I know, but maybe I can get even.
Played By: Elpidia CarrilloA guerrilla captured by Dutch's troops following a battle with the rebels.
- The Chick: Isn't attacked by the Predator because she's unarmed. She survives because Dutch tells her to invoke this.
- Enemy Mine: With Dutch's team.
- Ms Exposition: Delivers information about the Predator and its place in local legends to the team.
- The Sixth Ranger: She has no prior connection to the team, and is brought along as a prisoner for a while before becoming Enemy Mine.
- Switch to English: She only spoke her native language for the first half of the movie. Dutch seems to know she can understand English, as later on he demands answers from her.Dutch: Yesterday, what did you see?
Dillion: You're wasting your time, major.
Dutch: No more games.
Anna: I... I don't know what it was.
Jorge "Poncho" Ramirez
Played By: Richard ChavesA Chicano fluent in Spanish who translates initially for Anna.
Played By: Bill DukeA close friend of Blain's who served with him in Vietnam.
- Bash Brothers: With Blain.
- Black Best Friend: To Blain.
- Boom, Headshot: Arguably the most graphic Predator kill as well.
- Despair Event Horizon: Mac never quite recovers after Blain is killed.
- Heroic BSOD: He winds up completely losing it, with a Madness Mantra thrown in.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Blain. They've been comrades for a long time.
- The Quiet One: Which makes his breakdown all the more scary.
- Sanity Slippage: Throughout the film after Blain's death, which isn't prominent until he tries and fails to kill the Predator.
- Scary Black Man: Double subverted in that he becomes scared shitless when the Predator shows up but descends right into this with his Madness Mantra.
Played By: Jesse VenturaA close friend of Mac who fought alongside him in the Vietnam War.
- Bash Brothers: With Mac.
- The Big Guy: With the exception of Dutch, Blain is the physically largest and most imposing. He also has a huge gun.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Mac.
- Must Have Nicotine: Unlike most examples of this trope, Blain gets his nicotine via chewing tobacco, and claims it's made him "a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus".
- Politically Incorrect Hero: He makes a homophobic remark.
- Sacrificial Lion: Most were probably expecting Hawkins to bow out soon, but Blain 'I ain't got time to bleed' Cooper? His early death really establishes the Predator as a terrifying threat.
Played By: Sonny LandhamA Native American tracker.
- Badass Native: Pretty much his entire role.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He takes on the Predator by himself to give the team time to escape.
- Magical Native American: Billy seems to have a preternatural sense of what the Predator is from the beginning.
- Off with His Head!: While the Predator does this to its victims as a general rule, Billy is the only person we see this happen to, posthumously.
- The Quiet One: He says next to nothing.
- You Shall Not Pass: Tries to pull one off against the Predator. It doesn't work.
Played By: Shane BlackThe team's radio operator and technical expert.
- Badass Bookworm: Don't let his nerdy appearance fool you.
- Cannot Tell a Joke: He's very bad at it. Only Billy seems to get one of his jokes, but is still Late to the Punchline.
- Never Found the Body: The team tries and fails to find his corpse after the Predator kills him.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Is humourous due to his horrible jokes, but this doesn't prevent the Predator from killing him.
- The Smart Guy: Shares this role with Poncho as the technical expert.
- We Hardly Knew Ye
Played By: Kevin Peter HallA member of an alien race which travels the galaxy hunting aggressive members of other species for sport. It uses active camouflage, bladed weapons, a shoulder-mounted plasma weapon and can see the infrared spectrum via sensors built into its facemask.
- Blood Knight
- Blue and Orange Morality: It believes in a fair fight above all else, to the point of removing its gear during the climax, and will not target the weak or unarmed with its weaponry. Yet, when it is actually defeated in said fair fight, its response is to violently self-destruct while laughing like a maniac.
- Chameleon Camouflage: Its cloaking system works as this—when it moves, the ripple of light playing across its figure makes it visible if one is watching carefully.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy/Genius Bruiser: The Predator is remarkably good at detecting and avoiding traps and ambushes, while simultaneously setting up ambushes and traps of his own.
- Evil Laugh: The Predator gives one hell of a menacing cackle before it dies, especially since its laugh is a hideously distorted mimic of Billy's laughter.
- Hunting the Most Dangerous Game: Its motivation.
- Jerk Ass: See Sore Loser below. Fair fight indeed.
- Knight of Cerebus: The tone becomes a lot more serious when it is introduced.
- No Waterproofing in the Future: Despite its advanced technology, the Predator's cloaking device short-circuits in water. This doesn't permanently damage it though.
- Outside-Context Villain: Let's just say that Dutch and company weren't expecting an interplanetary hunter to show up.
- Plasma Cannon: Its main long-distance weapon.
- Retractable Weapon: Its wrist blades
- Sore Loser: Upon its death, it self-destructs.