open/close all folders
Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer
Played By: Arnold SchwarzeneggerA former Green Beret and team leader.
"We're a rescue team. Not assassins."
- Badass Boast: One of the most famous boasts in film history."If it bleeds, we can kill it."
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: His eventual tactic for fighting the Predator.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: He's never seen again and the search of him by his brother was a major plot point on the comics.
- Clifftop Caterwauling: To attract the Predator for a one-on-one showdown.
- Crushing Handshake: Has a mutual one with Dillon, but he wins.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Against the guerillas early in the film.
- Grenade Launcher: As an underbarrel attachment to his AR15 rifle.
- The Leader: Of his Five-Man Band.
- Majorly Awesome: He's a major, and he's an Arnold Schwarzenegger character. That should tell you everything.
- A Real Man Is a Killer: Disbelieves this."We're a rescue team: not assassins."
- Thousand-Yard Stare: By the end, he has one.
- Trap Master: How he takes on the Predator. Also ties into Beat Them at Their Own Game.
- Vine Swing: Dutch gets one, and it's fun.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: In the climax.
- Weapon of Choice: A AR15 rifle mocked up to look like a M16A1 assault rifle, which is fitted with a M203 grenade launcher.
Jorge "Poncho" Ramirez
Played By: Richard ChavesA Chicano fluent in Spanish who translates initially for Anna.
"She says... the jungle came alive and took him."
- Butt Monkey: Poor Poncho has the worst things happen to him out of the entire group. He gets whacked in the head by Anna (and her subsequent escape attempt leads to Hawkins' death), struck in the stomach by a heavy log and has to be carried by the rest of the squad throughout the movie, and, though he is the last to die, there's nothing memorable about his death, compared to Mac, Dillon, and Billy.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has his moments.Blain: I ain't got time to bleed.Poncho: (Fires grenade at guerilla above them) You got time to duck?
- Made of Iron: The fact that he's still alive after getting hit in the stomach by a tree qualifies him as such
- The Smart Guy: He's fluent in Spanish and is generally pretty quick-witted.
- Pretty Little Headshots: A surprising bloodless death compared to Mac's.
- Weapon of Choice: Two; a grenade launcher and a HK94 carbine chopped and converted to resemble a Heckler & Koch MP5A3 submachine gun.
Played By: Bill DukeA close friend of Blain's who served with him in Vietnam.
"You're ghostin' us, motherfucker. I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that?"
- Bash Brothers: With Blain.
- Boom, Headshot: Arguably the most graphic Predator kill as well.
- Despair Event Horizon: Mac never quite recovers after Blain is killed.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: After being the first of the team to see the Predator.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: He winds up completely losing it, with a Madness Mantra thrown in.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Blain. They've been comrades for a long time.
- Knife Nut: Mac seems to really like sharp things. He has the famous Stabthe Scorpion scene and is seen shaving with a razor several times throughout the movie, without shaving cream. Additionally, when Dillon finds Mac's discarded gear, one can see a throwing knife tucked away in the vest.
- Oh Crap!: Right before his Boom, Headshot.
- The Quiet One: Which makes his breakdown all the more scary.
- Sanity Slippage: Throughout the film after Blain's death, which isn't prominent until he tries and fails to kill the Predator.
- Scary Black Man: Double subverted in that he becomes scared shitless when the Predator shows up but descends right into this with his Madness Mantra.
- Weapon of Choice: A M60E3 machine gun.
Played By: Jesse VenturaA close friend of Mac who fought alongside him in the Vietnam War.
"This place makes Cambodia look like Kansas."
- Badass Boast: "I ain't got time to bleed."
- Bash Brothers: With Mac.
- The Big Guy: With the exception of Dutch, Blain is the physically largest and most imposing. He also has a huge gun.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Mac.
- Jaw Drop: When Dutch deadlifts the truck.
- Lantern Jaw of Justice: Courtesy of his actor, Jesse Ventura.
- Must Have Nicotine: Unlike most examples of this trope, Blain gets his nicotine via chewing tobacco, and claims it's made him "a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus".
- Nice Hat: A cowboy hat.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: He makes a homophobic remark, specifically referring to the rest of the squad as "a bunch of slack-jawed faggots" when they decline to share his chaw.
- Sacrificial Lion: Most were probably expecting Hawkins to bow out soon, but Blain 'I ain't got time to bleed' Cooper? His early death really establishes the Predator as a terrifying threat.
- Spiteful Spit: Spits on Dillon's boot during the chopper ride.
- Weapon of Choice: A M134 minigun modified to be handheld. He also carries a HK94 carbine chopped and converted to resemble an MP5A3, though it is never used.
Played By: Sonny LandhamA Native American tracker.
"There's something out there waiting for us... and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."
- Badass Native: Pretty much his entire role.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He takes on the Predator by himself to give the team time to escape.
- Magical Native American: Billy seems to have a preternatural sense of what the Predator is from the beginning.
- Off with His Head!: While the Predator does this to its victims as a general rule, Billy is the only person we see this happen to, posthumously.
- Oh Crap!: When he finds what's left of Hopper and his men.
- The Quiet One: He says next to nothing.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: He's the only one of the group who carries a shotgun, albeit as an underbarrel attachment.
- Weapon of Choice:A AR15 rifle mocked up to look like a M16A1 assault rifle, which is fitted with a Mossberg 500 shotgun under the barrel.
- You Shall Not Pass: Tries to pull one off against the Predator. It doesn't work.
Played By: Shane BlackThe team's radio operator and technical expert.
"Billy. Billy! The other day, I was going down on my girlfriend, I said to her, "Jeez you got a big pussy. Jeez you got a big pussy." She said, "Why did you say that twice?" I said, "I didn't." See, cuz of the echo."
- Badass Bookworm: Don't let his nerdy appearance fool you.
- Cannot Tell a Joke: He's very bad at it. Only Billy seems to get one of his jokes, but is still Late to the Punchline.
- Dead Guy on Display: The Predator strung his body up somewhere in the jungle.
- Gutted Like a Fish: All that Poncho can find of him is his guts.
- Never Found the Body: The team tries and fails to find his corpse after the Predator kills him.
- Plucky Comic Relief: He tries to be.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Is humourous due to his horrible jokes, but this doesn't prevent the Predator from killing him.
- Shoo Out the Clowns: The movie gets much more serious after the Predator kills him.
- The Smart Guy: Shares this role with Poncho as the technical expert.
- Weapon of Choice: A HK94 carbine chopped and converted to resemble an MP5A3 submachine gun.
- We Hardly Knew Ye
Colonel George Dillon
Played By: Carl WeathersA former teammate of Dutch and current CIA agent, sent along with Dutch's team.
"I woke up. Why don't you? You're an asset, an expendable asset and I used you to get the job done. Got it?"
- Agent Scully: Dillon doesn't believe the Predator is what the team say it is."You saying that Blain and Hawkins were killed by a fucking lizard? That's a bullshit psyche job. There's two to three men out there at the most. Fucking lizard."
- An Arm and a Leg: Gets his arm shot off by the Predator before he dies.
- Angry Black Man: Spends the most of his screen time following the reveal of his actual mission being a skeptical Jerkass.
- Asshole Victim: A shady government agent who tricked his former best friend and his team into going on an assassination mission.
- Badass Bureaucrat: Dillon's pretty effective with a gun.
- Badass Mustache: A nice handlebar.
- Big Bad Wannabe: When his hidden motive is revealed, he appeared to be an antagonist of a Cold War Conspiracy Thriller action movie, however, this is all thrown out of the window when the Predator shows up.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: A lighter case. His ulterior motive for accompanying the team is to use them to eliminate the guerillas under the context of a rescue mission.
- Crushing Handshake: With Dutch, which he loses.
- Enemy Mine: Works with Dutch and his team despite the revelation of his actual mission.
- Fallen Hero: A former best friend of Dutch who had become a crooked, pencil-pushing and deceitful CIA agent.
- Guns Akimbo: When he follows Mac after the Predator.
- Hate Sink: Downplayed, but he is the in-universe The Scrappy amongst his team and the fact he tricked Dutch and his mates into wiping out a guerrilla unit that would lead to each one of them facing the Predator and die one by one, including Dillon himself, further made him looked down upon. The fact that he also sent Dutch's friend Jim Hopper and his team to do the same mission — and got them horrifically killed by the Predator in the process— also does not win him any approval. All together, he is indirectly responsible for all of the deaths caused by the Predator.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: After the Predator blows off his arm.
- Jerkass: He's shady and disagreeable.
- The Lancer
- The Millstone: Dillon's the reason why most of two commando teams are killed in the Val Verde jungle.
- The Neidermeyer: He is a CIA Colonel, but is loathed by his teammates due to his inexperience on the field and viewed them in return as expendable assets for his hidden assassination mission.
- Redemption Equals Death: Despite everything, he and Dutch do seem to make their peace with each other before he goes off to challenge the Predator.
- Senseless Sacrifice: When he goes to fight the Predator with Mac. Lampshaded by Dutch before he does so.Dutch: You can't win this one Dillon.Dillon: I know, but maybe I can get even.
- Token Evil Teammate: He's a crooked CIA agent whose despised by his comrades for his shady nature.
- Weapon of Choice: A HK94 carbine chopped and converted to resemble a Heckler and Koch MP5A3.
Played By: Elpidia CarrilloA guerrilla captured by Dutch's troops following a battle with the rebels.
"It changed colours, like the chameleon, it uses the jungle."
- The Chick: Isn't attacked by the Predator because she's unarmed. She survives because Dutch tells her to invoke this.
- Dirty Communists: She was a guerrilla serving a Communist insurgent unit.
- Enemy Mine: With Dutch's team.
- Ms Exposition: Delivers information about the Predator and its place in local legends to the team.
- The Sixth Ranger: She has no prior connection to the team, and is brought along as a prisoner for a while before becoming Enemy Mine.
- Switch to English: She only spoke her native language for the first half of the movie. Dutch seems to know she can understand English, as later on he demands answers from her.Dutch: Yesterday, what did you see?
Dillon: You're wasting your time, major.
Dutch: No more games.
Anna: I... I don't know what it was.
Played By: Kevin Peter Hall
"Only in the hottest years this happens. And this year, it grows hot. We begin finding our men. We found them sometimes without their skins... and sometimes much, much worse. "El cazador trofeo de los hombres" means the demon who makes trophies of men."A member of an alien race which travels the galaxy hunting aggressive members of other species for sport. It uses active camouflage, bladed weapons, a shoulder-mounted plasma weapon and can see the infrared spectrum via sensors built into its facemask.
- Big Bad: The main antagonist of the film.
- Blood Knight
- Blue and Orange Morality: It believes in a fair fight above all else, to the point of removing its gear during the climax, and will not target the weak or unarmed with its weaponry. Yet, when it is actually defeated in said fair fight, its response is to violently self-destruct while laughing like a maniac.
- Chameleon Camouflage: Its cloaking system works as this—when it moves, the ripple of light playing across its figure makes it visible if one is watching carefully.
- Egomaniac Hunter: Although an alien, a surprisingly accurate portrait.
- Evil Laugh: The Predator gives one hell of a menacing cackle before it dies, especially since its laugh is a hideously distorted mimic of Billy's laughter.
- Genius Bruiser: The Predator is remarkably good at detecting and avoiding traps and ambushes, while simultaneously setting up ambushes and traps of his own.
- Gonk: Ugly motherfucker indeed.
- Humanoid Alien: It has the basic human shape with one body, one head, four limbs and being biped, but that is where its similarities with humans end.
- Hunting the Most Dangerous Game: Its motivation.
- Knight of Cerebus: The tone becomes a lot more serious when it is introduced.
- No Waterproofing in the Future: Despite its advanced technology, the Predator's cloaking device short-circuits in water. This doesn't permanently damage it though.
- Outside-Context Problem: Let's just say that Dutch and company weren't expecting an interplanetary hunter to show up.
- Plasma Cannon: Its main long-distance weapon, mounted on its left shoulder.
- Retractable Weapon: Its wrist blades.
- Sore Loser: Upon its death, it self-destructs.