Nightmare Fuel / Predator
Like its Alien
has had its fair share of nightmarish moments, mostly revolving around the titular antagonist.
- The very idea of being hunted by an invisible alien.
- The Predator in general. Besides its delightful face, it can camouflage itself, making it near invisible (unless water comes into play), mimic human voices to lure victims and collects human skulls and spines as trophies for fun. Not to mention, it has quite the array of frightening roars, screams and clicking noises.
- The skinned corpses of Jim Hopper and his men.
- The distorted recordings of Billy's laugh and Mac's voice ("Over here", "turn around", "anytime")
- The part where the Predator steals Blaine's body and a boar it scared jumps on Mac in a panic.
- Also, the Fridge Horror that comes into play after the team discover's Blaine's body is missing - if that boar hadn't been there and been freaked out, they never would have known the Predator was there.
- The part where Dillion looks around the jungle after hearing "anytime" and the Predator's cackles. As he looks around (we see from Dillion's point of view), you can clearly see the Predator's invisible silhouette standing on the branch which Dillion looked pass before looking at it again.
- A sort of reveal after Mac dies: the laser beam's convergence at the Predator's shoulder mount gives viewers the impression it shot Mac from quite a distance... then it moves, and we see that it was literally standing right on top of him.
- The Predator's laugh when it activates the self-destruction mechanism to kill itself. It starts out deep and slow, then suddenly bursts into a high, loud, very human-like maniacal cackle.
- In a strange real life example, according to P.W. Singer's Wired for War during the 2004 battles for Fallujah the U.S military set up a system to broadcast the Predator's laugh throughout the city in an effort to intimidate the insurgents. It worked so well that a marine scout team had to request it be turned off because it was freaking them out.
- The Killers over in the comics. Take a Predator and remove all forms of honor like not killing those that can't fight back and limiting their tech to make things even. They also use Xenomorphs as hunting dogs.