Characters: Non Non Biyori
open/close all folders
Asahigaoka Branch School Students
Voiced by: Rie Murakawa
A fifth grader who transferred to Asahigaoka from Tokyo. Tall for her age, she has a crush on short-for-her-age Komari, whom she often makes plushies of.
- City Mouse: She comes from Tokyo, and isn't quite used to the idyllic lifestyle in Asahigaoka.
- Closet Geek: she is a big fan of mahou-shoujo anime. Especially the series called «Twinkle Sisters».
- Cuteness Proximity: She finds Komari very cute and gets ecstatic at the chance of petting her head.
- Hidden Buxom: It's not just her height that's developed, and she tends to wear loose-fitting shirts.
- Hidden Depths: See Closet Geek and Not So Above It All. Hotaru also doesn't seem to be bothered by things that would send "girly" girls like Komari running in panic, like lizards or cockroaches.
- Nice Girl: She's polite and often considerate of others.
- Not So Above It All: She acts mature around the other girls, but is more childish when she's just with her parents. No one believes her when she says that, though.
- Younger than She Looks: Hotaru often gets mistaken for a college student, or even as her mom on the phone!
Voiced by: Kotori Koiwai
Renge, a first grader, is the youngest of the cast. She is adorably eccentric, can play the recorder and is talented at drawing.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Kooky 1st grader...and amazingly talented for her age sketch artist.
- Catch Phrase: "Nyanpasu!"
- Cheerful Child: Despite having a single facial expression, Renge is a very cheerful child who constantly makes up her own songs, gets up to the usual childish mischief, friendly and very approachable, always curious and always ready to play.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Her interests are quite different from the other girls. Hotaru, Komari and Natsumi thinks it's hard to communicate with her.
- Cry Cute: In Episode 4, after hearing of Honoka's departure.
- Girlish Pigtails: Fitting for the youngest member of the cast.
- Good with Numbers: Yes, she is, much to Konomi's surprise. Renge is capable of answering multiplication-related questions instantly, despite not even knowing what the multiplication table is yet. She tells Konomi that she does this by adding things really really quickly. In her head.
- Hair Antennae: She has two strands of hair that stick up from the top of her head and she's quite the Cloud Cuckoolander.
- Meaningful Name: Renge is named after the pink lotus that grows in the hills surrounding the village, although she didn't know it herself.
- Perpetual Frowner: She has never been shown smiling yet, but beneath the single face expression runs deep emotions typical to a young child, which she shows through her actions.
- Plucky Girl: Renge almost never gives up when she's focused on something, like her walking up a hill in the dark pre-dawn for over an hour to watch the first sunrise of the year or her determination to ride the bicycle without training wheels despite falling off and scraping her knees constantly.
- Verbal Tic: She adds a superfluous "-non" at the end of sentences.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: She's more responsible than her older sister and teacher, Kazuho.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has violet hair.
Voiced by: Kana Asumi
A second-year middle schooler, Komari is only around 130cm(4'3) tall and is often mistaken for a child. She is easily frightened by scary things.
- A-Cup Angst: Very envious of her well-endowed Hotaru.
- Alliterative Name
- Berserk Button: Any time her height and/or lack of maturity is mentioned.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Despite being the oldest girl in school and trying to act accordingly, she is prone to stumbling around and being a klutz when doing a chore.
- Cute Little Fangs: She has one, which adds to her adorableness.
- Embarrassing Nick Name: 'Koma-chan' which is derived from Komai (tiny).
- Expressive Hair: Her hair sprout usually bounces when she's really interested or surprised.
- Height Angst: Doesn't like it when people mentions her height.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: She pretends to be knowledgeable about current trends, but others usually see through her quickly. A good example is when she, Hotaru, and Konomi were talking about music, fashion and love, and she was clueless on each topic.
- Lethal Chef: Averted in the beginning, but her cooking gets progressively worse as the series continue. First she made onigiri normally. Then she forgot to put water in the rice to cook it. Then she tried to make a bento and burnt everything. Hotaru ate it anyway.
- Lovable Coward
- Oblivious to Love: She totally fails to notice Hotaru's obvious crush on her.
- Older Than They Look: Komari may be in 2nd year middle school, but she looks like she's 8.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She gets scared very easily, and is particularly afraid of ghosts.
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura
A first-year middle schooler, Natsumi is rather relaxed and negligent of school work.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Natsumi would go out of her way to annoy her older siblings, particularly Komari, whom she frequently makes fun of because of her height and childish personality.
- Book Dumb: Does very poorly in her studies, and had received her mother's wrath numerous times because of it.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Was very prone to troublemaking even as a child. As her mother puts it:"You were the world's biggest brat back then!!!"
- Father, I Want to Marry My Brother: Said she wants to marry Suguru in a home video when she was much younger. Obviously, she doesn't have this attitude any more and she was mortified when she and her friends saw said video.
- Hidden Depths: It turns out she's pretty savvy when it comes to nature, and knows a lot of ways to catch bugs as well as what weeds can be eaten.
- Jerkass: A troublemaker who frequently plays cruel pranks on her siblings, defies her mother, and refuses to take responsibility for her mischief.
- Never My Fault: Natsumi never sees herself to blame for whatever trouble she caused. She tore the paper screen at home? It's the door's fault for ripping so easily. She pulled off a roof tile? It's the tile's fault for coming off so easily. She got bad grades for her classes? It's the exams' fault for being so difficult. She overslept? Her sister's fault for not waking her up...
- Outdoorsy Gal:
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Though she is by no means unattractive, when Konomi more or less forces her to dress up in a more feminine manner, she's actually turns out to be incredibly cute. It's to the point where Komari actually gets a little jealous and Renge doesn't even recognize her upon seeing her. At first, she enjoys the attention and praise on how cute she is, but it becomes a bit too embarrassing for her and she promptly changes back to her usual tomboyish style.
- The Prankster: Frequently plays pranks on her siblings, such as wearing a creepy clown mask in the dark to scare Komari, or turning Suguru into a scarecrow while trying to avoid working in the fields.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: She usually wears her hair up high in a ponytail, and she's the more active sister.
A third-year middle schooler and Komari and Natsumi's older brother, Suguru is the only named male character. He rarely if ever speaks, but is responsible and good at sculpting with clay. He can also play the guitar.
- The Comically Serious: He shows almost no reaction to some of the things Natsumi puts him through. Then there's his high speed getaway in episode 6.
- Extreme Doormat: He willingly goes along with whatever antics Natsumi has in mind, such as turning him into a scarecrow during the "class field trip", or burying his head in the sand and forgetting about him in the Beach Episode.
- Hidden Depths: Never speaks, has demonstrated the ability to make quality clay anime figurines, play the guitar, play the ruler game in Repeat...he's basically good at everything.
- Nice Guy: What other way is there to describe a guy who wins a free trip and instantly gives it to his sister?
- The One Guy: He's the only male character introduced so far.
- The Voiceless: He doesn't have any lines and isn't voiced in the anime. The one time he is seen speaking in episode 8, we can't hear his voice because he was playing the guitar.
- The Reliable One: He quietly retrieved his sisters when they 'ran away', and helped Hotaru when she got lost while walking her dog.
Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka
The only teacher at Asahigaoka Branch School and Renge and Hikage's older sister. Kazuho can sleep any time, anywhere. She often sleeps in and arrives late to school for this reason. Her family owns a rice field.
- Eyes Always Shut: Fitting, as she's a frequent sleeper.
- Sensei-chan: A strange case with Kazuho, since she's the elder sister of Renge, who is the youngest student in school. Played straight by the Koshigayas' mom, who calls her 'Kazu-chan'.
- Sleepyhead: Kazuho frequently oversleeps and spends most of her time in class sleeping (since classes are mostly self-study due to the students all having different study material).
- Triple Shifter: Never really enforced, but she does manage her family's rice farm in addition to being a teacher. May explain why she's so tired all the time.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple hair, in this case.
Voiced by: Rina Sato
Kaede runs the local candy store. Due to the shortage of children in town, she is perpetually short on cash and for this reason also rents skis, futons, etc. Kaede acts cool and calm, but is very kind and gets along great with Renge.
- Alliterative Name
- Big Brother Instinct: Rare female example towards Renge. She falls naturally into caring for baby Renge even though she said she was terrible with babies. She instinctively acts whenever she feels Renge needs her, whether it's reaching for a candy placed high on a shelf or when Renge is down with fever.
- Cool Big Sis: She acts as this with almost all the girls, but is more pronounced with Renge. Renge admires her very much and Kaede, in turn, takes a good care of her.
- Cuteness Proximity: The whole town knows she bends to Renge's cuteness without much resistance. Renge's effect over her almost nears Cuteness Overload, but her natural stoicness keeps her reactions fairly in check.
- Everybody Calls Him Barkeep: Everyone calls her Candy Store (Dagashi-ya), even in the flashbacks before she inherited it.
Voiced by: Akiko HiramatsuThe mother of Suguru, Komari, and Natsumi. She's usually strict.
Voiced by: Misato Fukuen
Renge and Kazuho's sister who attends high school in Tokyo, six hours away by bullet train.
- Butt Monkey: She's usually the recepient of jokes when on-screen, most of the others don't treat her well, and she finds herself in bad situations often.
- Cain and Abel and Seth: We didn't know Renge and Kazuho had a middle sister until she showed up in episode
- Country Mouse: Attends a high school in Tokyo and in constantly in awe of the city.
- Hero of Another Story: She's one of the main characters in Koakuma Meringue, one of Atto's other works. She also leaves for Tokyo around the same time Hotaru arrives in Asahigaoka and presumably has to go through similar situations with adjusting to her new environment.
- Not So Above It All: She tries to act she's above the antics of others, but given some time she reverts to her old country ways.
- Shameless Self-Promoter: A very mild example, as the first thing she does upon coming home is to brag about studying in Tokyo and riding the bullet train. Before Hotaru reveals that not only did she grow up in Tokyo, but she took a plane to get to Asahigaoka.
- Outdoorsy Gal: Savvy about nature and the outdoors as much as, if not more than Natsumi. She might brag about being a city girl now that she attends school in Tokyo, but very quickly reverts back to type once she joins the other girls to play.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple hair, rather.
Voiced by: Ryōko Shintani
Natsumi and Komari's friend who lives next door and attends the "local" high school as a third year student.
- Beware the Nice Ones: If Hikage is any indication, Konomi is not someone to make mad.
- Cool Big Sis: Komari and Hotaru consider her one.
- The Gadfly: She likes to say and do things to tease others, like making Renge believe she's a monster, or going on about instruments with Komari, when she knows Komari is actually interested in her cell phone.