Characters: Non Non Biyori
open/close all folders
Asahigaoka Branch School Students
A fifth grader who transferred to Asahigaoka from Tokyo. Tall for her age, she has a crush on short-for-her-age Komari, whom she often makes plushies of.
Voiced by: Rie Murakawa
- City Mouse: She comes from Tokyo, and isn't quite used to the idyllic lifestyle in Asahigaoka.
Renge, a first grader, is the youngest of the cast. She is adorably eccentric, can play the recorder and is talented at drawing.
Voiced by: Kotori Koiwai
A second-year middle schooler, Komari is only around 130cm(4'3) tall and is often mistaken for a child. She is easily frightened by scary things.
- A-Cup Angst: Very envious of her well-endowed Hotaru.
- Alliterative Name
- Berserk Button: Any time her height and/or lack of maturity is mentioned.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Despite being the oldest girl in school and trying to act accordingly, she is prone to stumbling around and being a klutz when doing a chore.
- Embarrassing Nick Name: 'Koma-chan' which is derived from Komai (i.e. tiny).
- Height Angst: Doesn't like it when people mentions her height.
- Lethal Chef: Averted in the beginning, but her cooking gets progressively worse as the series continue. First she made onigiri normally. Then she forgot to put water in the rice to cook it. Then she tried to make a bento and burnt everything. Hotaru ate it anyway.
- Older Than She Looks: Komari may be in 2nd year middle school, but she looks like she's 8.
- Why Did It Have To Be Scary Things: She gets scared very easily, and is particularly afraid of ghosts.
A first-year middle schooler, Natsumi is rather relaxed and negligent of school work.
A third-year middle schooler and Komari and Natsumi's older brother, Suguru is the only named male character. He rarely if ever speaks, but is responsible and good at sculpting with clay. He can also play the guitar.
- The Comically Serious: He shows almost no reaction to some of the things Natsumi puts him through. Then there's his high speed getaway in episode 6.
- Extreme Doormat: He willingly goes along with whatever antics Natsumi has in mind, such as turning him into a scarecrow during the "class field trip", or burying his head in the sand and forgetting about him in the Beach Episode.
- Hidden Depths: Never speaks, has demonstrated the ability to make sales-worthy clay anime figurines and play the guitar.
- Nice Guy: What other way is there to describe a guy who wins a free trip and instantly gives it to his sister/
- The One Guy: He's the only male character introduced so far.
- The Voiceless: He doesn't have any lines and isn't voiced in the anime. The one time he is seen speaking in episode 8, we can't hear his voice because he was playing the guitar.
- The Reliable One: He quietly retrieved his sisters when they 'ran away', and helped Hotaru when she got lost while walking her dog.
The only teacher at Asahigaoka Branch School and Renge and Hikage's older sister. Kazuho can sleep any time, anywhere. She often sleeps in and arrives late to school for this reason. Her family owns a rice field.
- Eyes Always Shut
- Sensei-chan: A strange case with Kazuho, since she's the elder sister of Renge, who is the youngest student in school. Played straight by the Koshigayas' mom, who calls her 'Kazu-chan'.
- Sleepyhead: Kazuho frequently oversleeps and spends most of her time in class sleeping (since classes are mostly self-study due to the students all having different study material).
- Triple Shifter: Never really enforced, but she does manage her family's rice farm in addition to being a teacher. May explain why she's so tired all the time.
Kaede runs the local candy store. Due to the shortage of children in town, she is perpetually short on cash and for this reason also rents skis, futons, etc. Kaede acts cool and calm, but is very kind and gets along great with Renge.
The mother of Suguru, Komari, and Natsumi. She's usually strict.
Voiced by: Akiko Hiramatsu
Renge and Kazuho's sister who attends high school in Tokyo, six hours away by bullet train.
- Cain and Abel and Seth: We didn't know Renge and Kazuho had a middle sister until she showed up in episode 4.
- Shameless Self-Promoter: A very mild example, as the first thing she does upon coming home is to brag about studying in Tokyo and riding the bullet train. Before Hotaru reveals that not only did she grow up in Tokyo, but she took a plane to get to Asahigaoka.
Natsumi and Komari's friend who lives next door and attends the "local" high school as a third year student.
A first-year elementary school student who became friends with Renge during the summer holidays.