Characters: Non Non Biyori
open/close all folders
Asahigaoka Branch School Students
Voiced by: Rie Murakawa
A fifth grader who transferred to Asahigaoka from Tokyo. Tall for her age, she has a crush on short-for-her-age Komari, whom she often makes plushies of.
- City Mouse: She comes from Tokyo, and isn't quite used to the idyllic lifestyle in Asahigaoka.
- Closet Geek: she is a big fan of mahou-shoujo anime. Especially the series called «Twinkle Sisters».
- Cuteness Proximity: She finds Komari very cute and gets ecstatic at the chance of petting her head.
- Hidden Buxom: It's not just her height that's developed, and she tends to wear loose-fitting shirts.
- Hidden Depths: She actually has strange for a girl tastes for creatures and likes beings like reptiles and amphibians.
- Younger Than They Look: Hotaru often gets mistaken for a college student, or even as her mom on the phone!
Voiced by: Kotori Koiwai
Renge, a first grader, is the youngest of the cast. She is adorably eccentric, can play the recorder and is talented at drawing.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Kooky 1st grader...and amazingly talented for her age sketch artist.
- Catch Phrase: "Nyanpasu!"
- Cheerful Child: Despite having a single facial expression, Renge is a very cheerful child who constantly makes up her own songs, gets up to the usual childish mischief, friendly and very approachable, always curious and always ready to play.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Her interests are quite different from the other girls. Hotaru, Komari and Natsumi thinks it's hard to communicate with her.
- Cry Cute: In Episode 4, after hearing of Honoka's departure.
- Girlish Pigtails: Fitting for the youngest member of the cast.
- Meaningful Name: Renge is named after the pink lotus that grows in the hills surrounding the village, although she didn't know it herself.
- Perpetual Expression: Although she's cheerful most of the time, she's never been shown smiling yet.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: She's more responsible than her older sister and teacher, Kazuho.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has violet hair.
Voiced by: Kana Asumi
A second-year middle schooler, Komari is only around 130cm(4'3) tall and is often mistaken for a child. She is easily frightened by scary things.
- A-Cup Angst: Very envious of her well-endowed Hotaru.
- Alliterative Name
- Berserk Button: Any time her height and/or lack of maturity is mentioned.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Despite being the oldest girl in school and trying to act accordingly, she is prone to stumbling around and being a klutz when doing a chore.
- Cute Little Fangs: She has one, which adds to her adorableness.
- Embarrassing Nick Name: 'Koma-chan' which is derived from Komai (tiny).
- Expressive Hair: Her hair sprout usually bounces when she's really interested or surprised.
- Height Angst: Doesn't like it when people mentions her height.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: She pretends to be knowledgeable about current trends, but others usually see through her quickly. A good example is when she, Hotaru, and Konomi were talking about music, fashion and love, and she was clueless on each topic.
- Lethal Chef: Averted in the beginning, but her cooking gets progressively worse as the series continue. First she made onigiri normally. Then she forgot to put water in the rice to cook it. Then she tried to make a bento and burnt everything. Hotaru ate it anyway.
- Lovable Coward
- Oblivious to Love: She totally fails to notice Hotaru's obvious crush on her.
- Older Than They Look: Komari may be in 2nd year middle school, but she looks like she's 8.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She gets scared very easily, and is particularly afraid of ghosts.
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura
A first-year middle schooler, Natsumi is rather relaxed and negligent of school work.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Natsumi would go out of her way to annoy her older siblings, particularly Komari, whom she frequently makes fun of because of her height and childish personality.
- Book Dumb: Does very poorly in her studies, and had received her mother's wrath numerous times because of it.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Was very prone to troublemaking even as a child. As her mother puts it:"You were the world's biggest brat back then!!!"
- Father, I Want to Marry My Brother: Said she wants to marry Suguru in a home video when she was much younger. Obviously, she doesn't have this attitude any more and she was mortified when she and her friends saw said video.
- Hidden Depths: It turns out she's pretty savvy when it comes to nature, and knows a lot of ways to catch bugs as well as what weeds can be eaten.
- Jerkass: A troublemaker who frequently plays cruel pranks on her siblings, defies her mother, and refuses to take responsibility for her mischief.
- Never My Fault: Natsumi never sees herself to blame for whatever trouble she caused. She tore the paper screen at home? It's the door's fault for ripping so easily. She pulled off a roof tile? It's the tile's fault for coming off so easily. She got bad grades for her classes? It's the exams' fault for being so difficult. She overslept? Her sister's fault for not waking her up...
- Outdoorsy Gal
- The Prankster: Frequently plays pranks on her siblings, such as wearing a creepy clown mask in the dark to scare Komari, or turning Suguru into a scarecrow while trying to avoid working in the fields.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: She usually wears her hair up high in a ponytail, and she's the more active sister.
A third-year middle schooler and Komari and Natsumi's older brother, Suguru is the only named male character. He rarely if ever speaks, but is responsible and good at sculpting with clay. He can also play the guitar.
- The Comically Serious: He shows almost no reaction to some of the things Natsumi puts him through. Then there's his high speed getaway in episode 6.
- Extreme Doormat: He willingly goes along with whatever antics Natsumi has in mind, such as turning him into a scarecrow during the "class field trip", or burying his head in the sand and forgetting about him in the Beach Episode.
- Hidden Depths: Never speaks, has demonstrated the ability to make quality clay anime figurines, play the guitar, play the ruler game in Repeat...he's basically good at everything.
- Nice Guy: What other way is there to describe a guy who wins a free trip and instantly gives it to his sister?
- The One Guy: He's the only male character introduced so far.
- The Voiceless: He doesn't have any lines and isn't voiced in the anime. The one time he is seen speaking in episode 8, we can't hear his voice because he was playing the guitar.
- The Reliable One: He quietly retrieved his sisters when they 'ran away', and helped Hotaru when she got lost while walking her dog.
Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka
The only teacher at Asahigaoka Branch School and Renge and Hikage's older sister. Kazuho can sleep any time, anywhere. She often sleeps in and arrives late to school for this reason. Her family owns a rice field.
- Eyes Always Shut: Fitting, as she's a frequent sleeper.
- Sensei-chan: A strange case with Kazuho, since she's the elder sister of Renge, who is the youngest student in school. Played straight by the Koshigayas' mom, who calls her 'Kazu-chan'.
- Sleepyhead: Kazuho frequently oversleeps and spends most of her time in class sleeping (since classes are mostly self-study due to the students all having different study material).
- Triple Shifter: Never really enforced, but she does manage her family's rice farm in addition to being a teacher. May explain why she's so tired all the time.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple hair, in this case.
Voiced by: Rina Sato
Kaede runs the local candy store. Due to the shortage of children in town, she is perpetually short on cash and for this reason also rents skis, futons, etc. Kaede acts cool and calm, but is very kind and gets along great with Renge.
- Alliterative Name
- Cool Big Sis: Renge admires her very much and Kaede, in turn, takes a good care of her.
- Cuteness Proximity: The whole town knows she bends to Renge's cuteness without much resistance.
- Everybody Calls Him Barkeep: Everyone calls her Candy Store (Dagashi-ya), even in the flashbacks before she inherited it.
Voiced by: Akiko HiramatsuThe mother of Suguru, Komari, and Natsumi. She's usually strict.
Voiced by: Misato Fukuen
Renge and Kazuho's sister who attends high school in Tokyo, six hours away by bullet train.
- Cain and Abel and Seth: We didn't know Renge and Kazuho had a middle sister until she showed up in episode 4.
- Hero of Another Story: She leaves for Tokyo around the same time Hotaru arrives in Asahigaoka and presumably has to go through similar situations with adjusting to her new environment.
- Shameless Self-Promoter: A very mild example, as the first thing she does upon coming home is to brag about studying in Tokyo and riding the bullet train. Before Hotaru reveals that not only did she grow up in Tokyo, but she took a plane to get to Asahigaoka.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Purple hair, rather.
Voiced by: Ryōko ShintaniNatsumi and Komari's friend who lives next door and attends the "local" high school as a third year student.
- Cool Big Sis: Komari and Hotaru consider her one.