- Butt Monkey: She gets mistreated by most peers (except Kiri, Sachi, Yuzuru and Ryuuken), mocked constantly by Mariya, insulted by Matsurika, developed an allergy to boys as a result to being teased by them... as some would say, she is Yukinari's soulmate.
- Does Not Like Men: Due to a grade-school experience (losing her recorder and PE uniform), Kanako breaks out in hives if boys so much as come in contact with her.
- Flanderization: She seems to be getting more and more perverted and deranged, making it exceedingly difficult to sympathize with her poor fortune.
- Freudian Excuse: As a kid, her PE uniform and recorder were stolen by her male schoolmates, triggering her androphobia.
- Groin Attack: How Kanako further verified the fact that Mariya's a crossdresser, by grabbing his... magic stick.Kanako: "Oh you want me to spell it out?! (reaches under Mariya's skirt and grabs his... thing) There you go! That's the thing I have a problem with!"
Mariya: "You really ought to warn people before you do something like that."
[Kanako removes her hand from beneath Mariya's skirt and groans in disgust as she waves her hand]
- Huge Schoolgirl: For an eleventh-grader Kanako stands at an imposing 175cm (5'9")... and she's incredibly insecure about it.
- Hypocritical Humor: She states that she hates those who "get excited by high school girls exposing a bit more skin due to the seasonal change of attire," and yet she's extremely perverted herself.
- Insistent Terminology: She prefers the term "yuri" over "lesbian."
- Large Ham: Has a tendency to overact over everything, and gets pretty hyper easily.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Though mostly to Mariya, she says some perverted things without a second thought, and joined the school specifically to hit on girls.
- She even spends the first chapter of the manga acting exactly like her straight male counterparts...and they react to her the same way they would to a man.
- Made of Iron: She gets trampled by rabid Ryuuken fangirls, only to appear a few seconds later with a few little bruises.
- Nosebleed: Frequently and with such force that she rivals Ikuto. Also the name of the first season's opening theme, for that very reason.
- When she volunteers to help with the girls' physical examinations she actually ends up in the infirmary after blacking out from blood loss.
- Stains the left cheek of a statue of the Virgin Mary with her blood after seeing Ayari's Wardrobe Malfunction (and consequently becoming one of their school's Seven Mysteries).
- And she turns the whole world red from a nosebleed in season 1's final episode.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Though she prefers not to be called that.note Kanako: "Can't you just say 'I'm into yuri' or something cute like that?!"
Mariya: "You idiot. It's the same thing, right?! Bottom line is you're a pervert!"
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Despite knowing full-well that Mariya is a cross-dresser, she still thinks he's gorgeous.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: In Alive, Kanako is becoming more of a pervert than when we first see her.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: By all appearances, he's a kind and sweet kid who everyone at Ame no Kisaki respects and looks up to, but beneath it all is a brutal sadist Kanako, Matsurika, and Shizu are only privy about.
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Shizu's Abel.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Mariya deeply respects his late grandmother Irene, who was chairman for both Ame no Kisaki and its all-male counterpart Mihoshi no Mori, so much so he honors her last will for him to compete in the chairmanship test, though he doesn't care so much for winning as much as he simply needs to honor her memory.
- Even Evil Has Standards: When even Mariya cringes at the prospects of Kanako's perversions getting out of control, you know the latter is a real piece of work.
- Exact Words: Shizu claims victory in her chairmanship competition against Mariya by virtue of Kanako already blowing the latter's cover before she did hers. According to Mariya, however, the conditions for defeat set by their grandmother does not include the time before they formally enter their respective high schools — Kanako discovered his identity one day before he formally enters Ame no Kisaki (and is currently blackmailing her into keeping her trap shut), while did Shizu's while the latter is already in Mori no Mihoshi, meaning Mariya wins by a technicality. Nevertheless, he's willing to overlook it and allow Shizu to claim her prize... by asking her to kiss his bare feet.
- Half-Identical Twins: With Shizu. His distinguishing mark is the mole under his left eye.
- Jerkass With A Heart Of Gold: With a strong emphasis on the Jerkass aspect. As sadistic as he can be, Mariya has at least some decency not to abuse his position, and is even shown to have his own code of morals (which usually comes out whenever Kanako is being perverted again).
- Manipulative Bastard: He's able to control Kanako solely through blackmail.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Throughout Chapters 20-21 Mariya suddenly lost his cruel streak ever since she received a letter, and even showed genuine anger at Kanako stalking into the Shidou mansion. Turns out it was the first death anniversary of his, Shizu and Ayari's grandmother Irene (who Mariya genuinely looks up to), while the letter was from Ayari, informing him and Shizu that with Irene dead for a year now, it was time for them to release the Shinoujis from their service, which explains why he's so glum all of a sudden.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to his twin sister Shizu's blue.
- Sadist: He really loves putting Kanako down, though to be fair, more often that not she is pretty much asking for it.
- Sibling Rivalry: With Shizu, which extends from way before they switched each other's names and entered one-gender schools opposite theirs.
- Straight Man: For an out-and-out jerk like him, Mariya is, surprisingly, the only person who can rein in Kanako.
- Taking the Heat: For many years Mariya quietly bore the wrath of Ayari ever since Shizu (then posing as him) accidentally gave her a Wardrobe Malfunction when they were kids.
- Took a Level in Kindness: As Kanako becomes more and more of a pervert, Mariya is, surprisingly, also starting to show more of his good side, especially considering how he has to play the Morality Pet to Kanako.
- Tsundere: A full tsun-side-up male version. Try as he might, there's no denying that deep down Mariya isn't such a bad guy after all, if his willingness to bear with Kanako is any indication. Of course, he'll be quick to excuse away such acts of kindness as just another facade-maintaining measure.
- Villainous Crossdresser: He makes for a pretty fetching girl. His attitude, however, leaves a lot to be desired.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: His current relationship with Ayari, which is actually a step down from when they were kids.
- The Comically Serious: She can wisecrack or make fun of people (Kanako in particular), and she still keeps her poker face on.
- Deadpan Snarker: She loves making cracks over Kanako's perversion and her own master's habits.(While fitting Mariya into a corset) Quit your whining. A broken rib or could not possibly kill you.
- Gamer Chick: When not servicing Mariya, Matsurika can be seen playing not-Monster Hunter on a not-PSP.
- Meido: She never goes around without her maid costume on, even when attending classes.
- The Nicknamer: She has given Kanako three different nicknames a few times: "Ms. Pig", "Eiffel Tower" and "Tokyo Tower", the latter two being an obvious dig at her stature.
- Secret Keeper: She's one of the few people who know of Mariya and Shizu's crossdressing.
- She Was Right There All Along: She attends the same class as Mariya, but manages to get right under her classmates' radar for some reason.
- Mistaken for Gay: Her schoolmates assume she is Kanako's girlfriend; this is a deliberate setup on her part, in order to allow Kanako to safely interact with Ryuuken without bringing down the wrath of her fangirls upon her.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Sachi's red.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: She is never seen without one, and is known among her classmates for her intellect and reliability.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Outwardly she's cold and dedicated to her studies, but she also makes for a pretty good friend.
- Hammerspace: She apparently can store any kind of weapon from her skirt pockets.
- Nice Girl: She's sweet, thoughtful, and one of the first few girls to approach newcomer Kanako.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Nanami and Yuzuru's blue.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Sachi's red.
- Shrinking Violet: In contrast to the more forward Sachi, Yuzuru is rather socially awkward.
Voiced by: Yuko Kaida (Japanese) and Beth Lazarou (English)The most popular girl in Ame no Kisaki, on account of her masculine looks and overall good personality, as well as one of the brightest stars in the school's Drama Club. She was also Kanako's original dormmate until Mariya chased her out, presumably to keep her mum about his gender.
- Cool Big Sis/Onee-sama: How the rest of the school sees her.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Her masculine looks has won her many fangirls... some of which react poorly to Kanako making a casual acquaintance of her.
- Huge Schoolgirl: Like Kanako, Ryuuken also stands at 175 cm (5'9"), though she's not as self-conscious about it as the former.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Her short hairstyle and imposing height has made her suitable for male roles in school plays.
The Dorm Leader and Yonakuni-san
The Dorm Leader is voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro (Japanese) and Brittney Karbowski (English)The unusually short girl in charge of Dorm No. 2, where Kanako, Mariya and Matsurika live. She is accompanied by Yonakuni-san, her pet dog.
Yonakuni-san is voiced by: Miyu Matsuki (Japanese) and Tiffany Grant (English)
Yonakuni-san is voiced by: Miyu Matsuki (Japanese) and Tiffany Grant (English)
- A God Am I: Once referred to herself as "God" before Kanako.
- Cat Girl: Her motif, subtly implied by the ears.
- The Dreaded: She's so prescient none in the dorms dare disobey her, lest something terrible happens to them... supposedly.
- Lyrical Dissonance: Seemingly taking cues from Kafuka Fuura, every scene featuring her has her singing sweet songs... which revolve around the bizarre, such as disturbing ways to eat meat.
- Older Than They Look: Some hints abound that she may be far older than the preteen she looks like.
- Unflappable Guardian: No violation of the dorm rules escapes her attention, no matter how good one is at hiding it away, though she also has a soft spot to those who at least put a lot of effort trying to elude her.
- Verbal Tic: Adds "desu yo" at the end of her speeches.
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Panda-Chang", after her panda-print panties which were accidentally exposed by Shizu (then posing as Mariya) when they were kids, and all other variations which include "panda", as well as "Fat Ass" from Mariya.
- Student Council President: The current one by the time Kanako and Mariya enroll.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Mariya, ever since Shizu (then posing as him) caused her a Wardrobe Malfunction.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: As kids, Shizu once accidentally exposed Ayari's panda-print panties, causing her much embarrassment. As a teenager her top comes undone during a festival after Mariya has to save her from falling off a float.
Voiced by: Erino Hazuki (Japanese) and Tiffany Terrell (English)The Student Council Vice-President of Ame no Kisaki and the object of Father Kanae's lust.
- Number Two: To Ayari.
- Satellite Character: She almost always appears exclusively beside Ayari.
- Secret Keeper: As Ayari's long-time friend, she is also privy to the strain in Ayari and Mariya's relationship.
- Birds of a Feather: With Kanako, on acoount of both of them being androphobics.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Mariya's Cain.
- Does Not Like Men: Like Kanako, she fears men, though this is mostly due to growing up with a jackass of a twin brother.
- Fragile Flower: In contrast to her brother, Shizu is quick to get emotionally hurt.
- Half-Identical Twins: With Mariya. Her distinguishing trait is the mole under her right eye, in contrast to left for Mariya.
- Nice Girl: In contrast to her brother, Shizu seems to be the genuinely sweet, if fragile, girl Mariya makes himself look like.
- Sibling Rivalry: With Mariya, which extends from way before they switched each other's names and entered one-gender schools opposite theirs.
- But Not Too Foreign: He's half-French, which may explain his handsome looks.
- Chick Magnet: For someone who has made a vow of celibacy, Father Kanae is pretty popular with the girls.
- Dirty Old Monk: Granted he's at least a young adult... which may explain his openness about being "in love" with every beautiful girl he sees.
- Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory: He's a regular In-Universe invoker of this trope. In fact, much of his Internal Monologue consists of this.
- Internal Monologue: He dabbles in this a lot.
- Large Ham: And he has the right voice to speak his mind in the most bombastic way possible.
- Sexy Priest: No wonder he has so many fangirls.
Voiced by: Hatsumi Takada (Japanese) and Allison Sumrall (English)The leader of Ryuuken's fan club, who have been terrorizing any girl out of sharing dorms with Ryuuken, with the latest target being Kanako.
- Alpha Bitch: She tries to be one, even if her idol doesn't encourage such behavior.
- The Leader: Of Ryuuken's fangirls.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Develops this kind of relationship with Kanako after buying into Nanami's white lie about her and Kanako being an item.
Voiced by: Megumi Toyoguchi (Japanese) and Molly Searcy (English)Homeroom teacher of Kanako, Nanami, Sachi and Yuzuru, as well as an alumna of Ame no Kisaki, who has already met Kanako as a child and her mother, a professor at the school, during her student days.
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Ms. Teddy Bear," on account of an Alternate Character Reading of her name.
- Meaningful Name: Part of her surname contains the word for "bear", thus her nickname "Ms. Teddy Bear".
- Battle Butler: Like his sister, Rindo serves the other half of the Shidou twins, and he's shown to be quite competent in survival games, such as that one time he caught Kanako snooping in on the goings-on in the Shidou residence.
- Deadpan Snarker: Much like Matsurika, except he is slightly more expressive.
- Distaff Counterpart: To his twin sister Matsurika, who, like him, also serves one half of the Shidou twins.
- Half-Identical Twins: Subverted. Rindo is black-haired, while Matsurika has silver hair. The only thing common between them are their golden eyes and their sharp tongues.
- Trap Master: He has prepared several traps in the Shidou residence in case some unwanted guests come barging in... such as Kanako, who's intrigued by Mariya's sudden change of attitude during Chapter 20.