open/close all folders
Portrayed by: Hilary DuffThe main character. The show revolves around the lives of her and her friends. She is a shy girl and a little clumsy. She dreams to fit in and be popular. She has an animated inner voice that breaks the fourth wall to reveal her thoughts and feelings. As of the movie, she makes peace with her enemy, Kate, saves a singer's career, and becomes an Official Couple with Gordo.
- Adorkable: Part of her Cute Clumsy Girl appeal, other than being shy, naive and genuinely kind.
- All Love Is Unrequited: For Ethan. Larry Tudgeman also had an unrequited crush on her.
- Bare Your Midriff: Animated Lizzie.
- Big Damn Kiss: Shares one with Gordo at the end of The Movie.
- Big Sister Instinct: At times.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Gordo In the movie.
- Cool Loser: True to trope, she is funny, good-looking and smart, but isn't exactly high on the popularity ladder (though she is well liked). Possibly justified as she and Kate used to be friends.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: It's also lampshaded in one episode.
- Deadpan Snarker: Her animated consciousness.
- Former Friend of Alpha Bitch: To Kate.
- Greek Chorus: Her animated self as the narrator.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: A sweet Naïve Everygirl with blonde hair.
- The Heart: In her group of friends, she's the one who keeps them together.
- Identical Stranger: To Isabella Parigi.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Or popular.
- The Kirk: To Gordo's The Spock and Miranda's The McCoy.
- Naïve Everygirl: Insecure, nice but liable to make mistakes, and picked on by the Alpha Bitch.
- Nice Girl: She's nice, even to her enemies.
- Oblivious to Love: To Gordo.
- Single Girl Seeks Most Popular Guy: Ethan Craft.
- You Go, Girl!: In one episode Lizzie tries out playing football with the boys and discovers she enjoys it. Uniquely the guys have no problem with her playing, once she shows how good she is at it. The conflict instead comes from the other girls who mock her for being "one of the boys". Lizzie then learns An Aesop that it's possible to be a Girly Girl and enjoy roughing it up.
Portrayed by: LalaineLizzie's best female friend. She is arguably the most self conscious character in the show. She has a hard time dealing with being a teenager and growing up. Near the end of the series she goes to Mexico with her family.
- Cool Loser: Along with Lizzie and Gordo. All three are perfectly likable people in every way but they aren't very popular.
- Deadpan Snarker: Miranda is witty and never afraid to speak her mind.
- The Lancer: As Lizzie's best friend.
- Love Makes You Dumb: In "Movin' On Up" she acts this way over a boy.
- The McCoy: To Lizzie's The Kirk and Gordo's The Spock. She's the most impulsive and rebellious.
- Nice Girl: Less sweet and idealistic than Lizzie, but just as good-natured.
- Put on a Bus: In the last six episodes as well as the movie.
- Single Girl Seeks Most Popular Guy: Like Lizzie and most girls, she has a crush on Ethan.
- Straw Loser: One of Lalaine's reasons for leaving the show.
- Token Minority: She's Mexican.
David "Gordo" Gordon
Portrayed by: Adam LambergLizzie's best male friend, and a very loyal one at that, as seen in the movie. They were friends since a very young age. Gordo is a straight A student, being the smartest and practical kid on the show. As of the movie, he is in an Official Couple with Lizzie.
- Big Damn Kiss: Shares one with Lizzie in the movie.
- Cannot Spit It Out: With Lizzie.
- Control Freak: He can be over-perfectionistic or obsessive when involved in his film projects, though fortunately he can be very reasonable when he realizes it's becoming a nuisance.
- Cool Loser: Along with Lizzie and Miranda. All three are perfectly likable people in every way but they aren't very popular.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has his sarcastic moments, especially due to his Only Sane Man status.
- Everyone Can See It: With Lizzie.
- Hollywood Nerd: Is smart, and while he's not a typical stud, he's still good looking enough to catch the attention of a few certain girls.
- Jewish and Nerdy: He's revealed to be Jewish American and he's a smart studious boy.
- Nice Jewish Boy: Also a nice, reasonable person.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His full name is David Gordon, but everyone just calls him Gordo.
- Only Sane Man: In a subversion of Women Are Wiser, Gordo is more mature, reasonable and practical than Lizzie and Miranda.
- Shorter Means Smarter: One of the shortest students. He's even shorter than both his female friends that aren't particularly tall to begin with.
- The Smart Guy: The smartest in his group of friends: the one with most common sense and the best grades.
- The Spock: To Lizzie's The Kirk and Miranda's The McCoy.
- Teen Genius: He's academically brilliant.
- Undying Loyalty: To Lizzie.
Portrayed by: Jake ThomasLizzie's younger brother. He can be annoying and very clever. Regardless, he does care about Lizzie and his relationship with her is no different than any other sibling relationship.
- Alliterative Name: Matt Mcguire.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Towards Lizzie, whom he often pranks and insults. Lizzie can give as good as she gets though.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Regardless of their squabbles, they will come through for one another when the chips are down.
- Deadpan Snarker: Of the Mouthy Kid variety. Especially towards his older sister.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he makes fun of Lizzie frequently, he does care about her.
- Manipulative Bastard: A clever schemer and troublemaker.
- Spiritual Successor: Has one in Shake It Up's Flynn Jones.
Portrayed by: Hallie ToddLizzie's mother. Always gives advice to Lizzie and is sometimes strict to her children when needed.
- Nice Woman: A good and caring mother.
- Meganekko: Jo wears glasses.
- Only Sane Woman: Out of the whole family, she's the closest to this.
- Women Are Wiser: She generally has it together better than her husband at least.
Portrayed by: Robert CarradineLizzie's father. Like most sitcom dads, he isn't the brightest, but he's a nice enough guy.
Portrayed by: Ashlie BrillaultThe Alpha Bitch and an old friend of Lizzie's. They were the best of friends but had a falling out shortly before the series. She becomes the main antagonist of most of the series but as of the movie, she has a Heel–Face Turn and befriends Lizzie again.
- Alpha Bitch: She's the most popular at their school.
- Big Bad: At first, though in the movie she had a Heel–Face Turn and the role is taken over by Paolo Valisari.
- The Cheerleader: The Head Cheerleader to be precise.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: None more so than in The Movie, in which she was built up to more-or-less replace Miranda.
- Evil Former Friend: To Lizzie. One episode revolves around her and Lizzie having to work together and it leads them to remember that they used to be good friends.
- Heel–Face Turn: In The Movie.
- Held Back in School: In one episode, it's revealed that Kate's actually a year older than the other kids in her grade, due to getting held back in Kindergarten for some reason.
- Informed Attractiveness: She is portrayed as being the Queen Bee of the school, and much is made of her "bustiness." In a show like this, she's not any more attractive than most background girls.
- This is tied to how she became a popular if not mean girl. She was an early bloomer and became popular for that, so she stands out to the other students because of that.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While she's still the Alpha Bitch, she has some nice moments with Lizzie over the course of the series and The Movie. In The Movie she has a full Heel–Face Turn.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Occasionally.
- Manipulative Bitch: She can manipulate boys into doing anything.
Portrayed by: Clayton SnyderA handsome and popular yet dimwitted boy in Lizzie's school. Almost all the girls want him and he's pretty nice (except in the first season).
- Big Man on Campus: The most popular and good-looking boy in the school.
- Brainless Beauty: He may be attractive, but also dimwitted and clueless.
- Characterization Marches On: In the first season, he was more-or-less a male version of Kate, but in later seasons, he became a much nicer person.
- Chick Magnet: The target of affection for every girl in the school.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Complete with "wooshing" sound-effects when he says dumb things.
- The Ditz: Apparently it's a family trait.
- Informed Attractiveness: His good looks are regularly mentioned by Lizzie and other girls.
- Kindhearted Simpleton: Not very bright, but kind and friendly enough, even to the less popular kids.
- Nice Guy: He's nice to everyone (except in the first season where he was portrayed more as a jerkish bully due to Early Installment Weirdness).
- Popular Is Dumb: Despite his stupidity, he's the Big Man on Campus.
Portrayed by: Kyle DownesThe least popular boy at Lizzie's school. Despite this he is pretty nice to people, and gets a friendly enough treatment from Lizzie. He had a crush on Lizzie, but when she decides not to return the feelings, he was pretty understanding.
- Abhorrent Admirer: To Lizzie and, on occasion, Miranda and Kate.
- All Love Is Unrequited: For Lizzie
- Butt Monkey: Unpopular and bullied by other students.
- Extraverted Nerd: Eccentric, stereotypically nerdy and uncool, Casanova Wannabe and Small Name, Big Ego, so yes, he fills this out.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: One episode had Lizzie go on a pity date with him and when he arrived at her house, she was bowled over by his appearance (clean combed hair and a different outfit than he usually wears).
- Nice Guy: As Lizzie discovers, he's a perfectly nice, normal guy outside school.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: Subverted. Probably the only character who doesn't fall into this.
- Wacky Guy: The Extraverted Nerd variant.
Portrayed by: Davida WilliamsKate's lackey and current best friend (until the movie).
- Beta Bitch: While generally the second-in-command to Kate, she can actually be a lot meaner than Kate herself at time.
- Black Best Friend: To Kate.
- The Cheerleader: A popular cheerleader like her friend Kate.
- Dragon-in-Chief: When given the opportunity.
- Girl Posse: To Kate.
- Jerkass: Unlike Kate, she never shows having some Hidden Depths or any redeeming qualities.
- Token Minority: One of the few black recurring characters.
- Black Best Friend: To Matt.
- Famous Ancestor: He's related to Crispus Attucks.
- Silent Bob: He never speaks, but Matt seems to have no problem communicating with him.
- Matt seems to be one of the few who can understand him no problem, much to the confusion of his parents. Stranger still when Matt and Lizzie switch bodies, Lizzie is able to easily understand what Lanny 'said' before Toon!Lizzie (Lizzie's inner self) was confused by how she understood him.
- Token Minority: One of the few black recurring characters.
Portrayed by: Yani GellmanA handsome Italian pop star that Lizzie meets in the movie. He befriends her during her trip to Rome. He offers to have him sing in his ex girlfriend, Isabella's place at a concert. Turns out he's using Lizzie's resemblance to her to frame Isabella from lip synching to avoid breach of contract.
- Big Bad: He tries to manipulate Lizzie into performing onstage as Isabella so he can destroy Isabella's career and humiliate Lizzie onstage by fooling everyone that Isabella lip syncs.
- Blatant Lies: He lied to Lizzie about Isabella lipsynching and him actually singing.
- Faux Affably Evil: He's pretty likable before his Evil Plan is revealed.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: It was revealed that Paolo lipsynchs because he can't really sing at all.
Isabella ParigiPaolo's ex-girlfriend who looks identical to Lizzie, except for the fact that she's a brunette rather than a blonde. Paolo befriends Lizzie because of this, turns out she's a target of Paolo's plan to avoid being sued, by framing Isabella for lip synching.
- Identical Stranger/Palette Swap: She and Lizzie look pretty much identical to each other—the only actual physical difference between them is their hair colors, with Isabella being a brunette and Lizzie being a blonde.
- Something Only They Would Say: A vicarious example. Isabella proves to Lizzie that Paolo is manipulating her by saying the pickup line he just gave her.
Portrayed by: Alex BorsteinThe princial of the high school Lizzie and Gordo will be attending, as well as the chaperone of the class.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She starts to show off her softer side towards Gordo and Sergei at the end.